Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attendance

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...ome-attendance

SDSU comes in at number 21 in the nation averaging 1,128.7 fans per home dual meet. I feel like the weather hurt those numbers quite a bit. I hear that there were a few snow storms that kept people away from some meets. I think that SDSU was top ten two years ago. With the success that they've had it will be interesting to see if they can get those number back up to where they were. NDSU was their best attended event with 1,679 which was strange to me; Minnesota and Iowa State would both normally have both brought in at least 2,000, I wonder if they were two of the duels that lined up with bad weather. Next year should be a rough one for attendance as Minnesota and NDSU will all most likely be away if they're on the schedule at all. I hope they're able to get a big home match against Iowa, Nebraska, or even a second match with NDSU like they had two years ago, otherwise they could be looking at a pretty lackluster home schedule. Oklahoma State will have a very good team next year and they could get some locals out assuming that they're coming and Northern Iowa could draw some people in though I don't know what that contract looks like. Kevin Dresser tweeted that Iowas State will be be going to Brookings next year, that match should attract some fans. After this year's success and some of the high-flying performances that we've seen, I expect that they'll have fewer sub-1,000 person crowds but they might have to work some magic to get a crowd much above 2,000. I can't wait to see what next year's schedules look like. I know that some teams are already pretty close to finalizing their schedules; we might not have to wait as long as we'd normally expect to.

I have an interesting thought for bringing in casual fans. Wrestling should go after ACC programs to bring into Brookings. ACC is not known for having great wrestling, except NC State, but the schools are well known across the country. Imagine bringing Duke to Brookings! That name alone would bring in a lot of curious fans. Jacks would probably wipe the floor with them, too; Duke sucks at wrestling.
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
      I have an interesting thought for bringing in casual fans. Wrestling should go after ACC programs to bring into Brookings. ACC is not known for having great wrestling, except NC State, but the schools are well known across the country. Imagine bringing Duke to Brookings! That name alone would bring in a lot of curious fans. Jacks would probably wipe the floor with them, too; Duke sucks at wrestling.
      We wrestled them this year. We wiped the floor with them.

https://gojacks.com/news/2019/12/29/...ach-duals.aspx

The Jacks really haven't had trouble bringing some household names to Frost. They can compete with anyone in the country except for maybe the top 5-10 programs.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

We wrestled them this year. We wiped the floor with them.

https://gojacks.com/news/2019/12/29/...ach-duals.aspx

The Jacks really haven't had trouble bringing some household names to Frost. They can compete with anyone in the country except for maybe the top 5-10 programs.
        I remember the South Beach Duals. Definitely a good event for a team like the Jacks! Wrestling them is one thing, bringing them to Brookings is entirely different. A dual win is nice no matter where it happens, but I want to raise attendance at SDSU duals. I see the ACC as a great opportunity for the Jacks to get some "big name schools" to Brookings and spark interest in casual fans. People knew Notre Dame was great at women's basketball, but their name certainly drew more fans when the Jacks brought them to town a few years back.
        Rollin' in my 5.0

Comment

I remember the South Beach Duals. Definitely a good event for a team like the Jacks! Wrestling them is one thing, bringing them to Brookings is entirely different. A dual win is nice no matter where it happens, but I want to raise attendance at SDSU duals. I see the ACC as a great opportunity for the Jacks to get some "big name schools" to Brookings and spark interest in casual fans. People knew Notre Dame was great at women's basketball, but their name certainly drew more fans when the Jacks brought them to town a few years back.
          We had Minnesota, Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Stanford in Frost just this year. All of those programs are much bigger names than Duke in wrestling.

We have no problem getting the big names in Frost.

Comment

Before I thought much about it, it always seemed a little strange that they brought in some of these schools from far away like Binghamton, Stanford and Bakersfield. It seemed impractical to have people fly across the country and spend that kind of money to go to Brookings for a dual, but every year they sign contracts to come out so they can get a different look and maybe go to an open. I suppose there's no reason they couldn't bring in a Duke or a North Carolina for a dual. I'm not sure it will have the effect that we're hoping for, but there's no cost to running that experiment and seeing if it does anything as long as they're bring in random teams for early-season duals anyway. Duke and UNC both made trips out to California last year, there's no reason they wouldn't come to South Dakota. More than anything, I'd like to see us establish a contract with Nebraska. It would be a rough dual, but people would come out for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

We had Minnesota, Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Stanford in Frost just this year. All of those programs are much bigger names than Duke in wrestling.

We have no problem getting the big names in Frost.
              My point is to not look at wrestling programs but look at the name of schools. People would consider SDSU a basketball school so the people know the big names of college basketball. We want to bring in those people who might be going to basketball but not wrestling. We know the Iowa and Oklahoma schools are great at wrestling but a casual fan doesn't necessarily know that. They would look at the name Duke and know that name and may consider checking it out. Big 12 competition will bring in the competitive teams us wrestling fans want; an ACC team could bring in the school names our casual fans want.
              Rollin' in my 5.0

Comment

My point is to not look at wrestling programs but look at the name of schools. People would consider SDSU a basketball school so the people know the big names of college basketball. We want to bring in those people who might be going to basketball but not wrestling. We know the Iowa and Oklahoma schools are great at wrestling but a casual fan doesn't necessarily know that.
                I think even casual fans around this region recognize Iowa as a top Wrestling program. I can guarantee you more casual basketball fans will come watch a Iowa dual than a Duke wrestling dual.The last Iowa dual that was held had an electric atmosphere; >4,000 in attendance and it was filled a good 45 mins before the dual began.

I like your thinking but I just can’t agree with it.

Comment

Working...
                X