2020 / 2021 Line-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 / 2021 Line-up

Now that we know that wrestlers will not be given an extra year of eligibility, I've been running through line-up possibilities and trying to put something together. Here's what I've thought up so far:

125. Danny Vega: This one is fairly obvious. Tanner Jordan will most likely redshirt along with Joey Thompson. Dan Kimbal may be able to drop down and provide some depth if necessary and Coapstick will be there in a pinch.
    133. Zack Price: I'm wondering if he can hold the wright, he has a very big frame so I have to wonder if him might be going up. Rotert mentioned him possibly going up to 149 in an interview. I think he loses something if he goes up as he looks to have improved a lot for having dropped down to 133. Both Dan Kimbal and Trevor Anderson had a chance to win the spot if Price does go up.
    141. Clay Carlson: I don't think there's any doubt as to who will start here. Jack Thomsen will redshirt here and they will have some good depth with Lamer, Williams, and Molitor.
    149. Peyton Smith: Hunter Marko also has a shot here but Smith is on a trajectory to be a solid wrestler after doing a very good job filling in at 157 this year. If Price moves up, I don't think he's the guy here.
    157. Cade DeVos: I think that this is where he's best though he is a good candidate to move up. I think that Carlson moves up and tries for a spot at 165 or 174. There are a lot of wrestler between 149, 157, and 165 who could all fill if needed.
    165. Tanner Cook: Tanner could move up to 174 and that might be what's best for the team. I think that Carlson does better here than anywhere else and I've been wanting him to be a 165 for a long time. I could see a situation where Cook and Carlson fill in between 165 and 174 depending on the match-up. O'Neil and Jordan are both good wrestlers who could have some say as to where people end up.
    174. Colton Carlson: I could see either Cook or Carlson wrestling here but I think Cook wins that wrestle-off. King is here but I think the coaches owe him a redshirt after a very tough true-freshman year. Hawkins will provide some depth here.
    184. Jacob Schoon: I like Schoon more than Casperson and I'm starting to think that Mueller is done with all of the injury problems that he's had. Ideally Mueller gets a 6th year and is healthy enough to compete, it would also be great if Casperson is good to go and lives up to the hype, but I think the most likely outcome is Schoon continuing to grow and improve and winning the spot. Orris can provide depth.
    197. Tanner Sloan: There's really no controversy here, he's the guy and he's ready for a big year. There will be a lot of good 184s who can provide depth here.
    285. Blake Wolters: This could go a lot of ways. Wolters, Trenary, and McConville all have a chance at winning the spot here. They should push each other and they will have a good wrestler here for the next four years at least. Wolters, as the incumbent, seems the most likely to be the guy.

This is still a pretty young team and I think there are a few guys who can have breakout years. I have high hopes for this team.

I want to see Cook at 165 as I feel that is his best weight and I really hope Mueller takes one more run at it whether it's 174 or 184. I think Casperson has a good chance at making the spot at 184 as well
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I think this is pretty spot on but a lot can change in the next few month. I would agree with witness as far as casperson is concerned. I look for marko to come out on top at 149 but I think they will push each other to be better! Oh and I'd love to see Marty back.

Comment

125 Vega - good season but he can do much better
        133 Price is the leader but there are a few others that will make some noise like Kimball
        141 Carlson - will continue to make gains
        149 Smith and Marco
        157 DeVos - watch out for this kid
        165 Cook - crowd favorite
        174 Carlson - better get big or someone else earns the spot
        184 Casperson - keep him healthy and he will be good
        197 Sloan - can wrestle with anybody in the weight class
        HWT Wolters - will be another notch better next season

Let's not forget our depth is improving so this prediction is worth very little

Comment

Tanner Cook was named the Honey Badger of 165 by FloWrestling
          https://twitter.com/flowrestling/sta...866534400?s=21

Comment

Three jackrabbits are ranked in the Flo preseason rankings:

157: Cade DeVos #20
            165: Tanner Cook #19
            197: Tanner Sloan #10

It seems likely that Vega and Clay Carlson could pop in and out of the rankings this year (they both have wins over people who are ranked) and if, Mueller or Zack Carlson get an extra year, they could easily be ranked pretty highly. Sloan is right there with anybody in the weight class, and I expect both he and DeVos to climb the rankings throughout the year. As a rule, I make no predictions regarding Tanner Cook and his perspective results.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
              Three jackrabbits are ranked in the Flo preseason rankings:

157: Cade DeVos #20
              165: Tanner Cook #19
              197: Tanner Sloan #10

It seems likely that Vega and Clay Carlson could pop in and out of the rankings this year (they both have wins over people who are ranked) and if, Mueller or Zack Carlson get an extra year, they could easily be ranked pretty highly. Sloan is right there with anybody in the weight class, and I expect both he and DeVos to climb the rankings throughout the year. As a rule, I make no predictions regarding Tanner Cook and his perspective results.
              I agree with pretty much everything said here. Can't wait to see DeVos finally wrestle in the lineup and I think Sloan could reach top 5 if stays healthy. I'm curious to see if teams make adjustments to Cook this year and how he responds

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post

I agree with pretty much everything said here. Can't wait to see DeVos finally wrestle in the lineup and I think Sloan could reach top 5 if stays healthy. I'm curious to see if teams make adjustments to Cook this year and how he responds
                Didn’t know that Carlson has a possible bid for an extra year. Has there been any word in brookings about mueller or Carlson seeking a 6th year? Would absolutely love to see Carlson in the blue and yellow for one last dance! Love watching him compete and push for bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KSjack View Post

Didn’t know that Carlson has a possible bid for an extra year. Has there been any word in brookings about mueller or Carlson seeking a 6th year? Would absolutely love to see Carlson in the blue and yellow for one last dance! Love watching him compete and push for bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Check Slosho’s podcast w/ Hahn.

Comment

Surprised we haven't heard anything about SDSUs potential medical redshirts one way or another yet

Comment

The JWC at nationals gives us some good weight information. It looks like Price is back down to weight. Good for us, bad for him, it looks like brutal cut. It looks like Orris and Hawkins are at 174ish along with King and it's looking like a fight for that spot. Cook and Carlson are MIA, I'm more interested in what they're weighing right now than anyone. Devos wrestled at 163, but the next weight down was 154 so I still think he will most likely be at 157. I'm glad to see the nobody hit a growth spurt that will throw off the line-up, that was my biggest worry going into this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X