IF NCAA gives seniors another year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF NCAA gives seniors another year?

First off this sucks and I know everyone feels this way! Not the way our guys wanted it to end, especially the seniors. Let's say the NCAA does grant another year of eligibility if they qualified for the NCAA tournament. How would that play into the scholarship money? Would the seniors not get it and the new guys coming in would??? Or visa versa?

Anyone in the know have any idea how this would play out?

Originally posted by stchrist View Post
    First off this sucks and I know everyone feels this way! Not the way our guys wanted it to end, especially the seniors. Let's say the NCAA does grant another year of eligibility if they qualified for the NCAA tournament. How would that play into the scholarship money? Would the seniors not get it and the new guys coming in would??? Or visa versa?

Anyone in the know have any idea how this would play out?
    If you use the spring sports as an example that have already been granted another year, it won't just be the seniors that get the extra year. Anyone on a current roster has been granted that extra year. And, I've read somewhere that next year there just won't be any scholarship limits. Or they would exempt the seniors that were supposed to graduate from the scholarship limit rule.

The loser in all of this will be the next couple classes graduating high seniors (2022 & 2023 graduates). If all these college athletes get an extra year of eligibility that is far fewer spots that will be available to be taken across all levels of college athletics and sports.

It will be really interesting to see what they do with the winter sports as they have all have completed their entire regular season. That decision won't be as easy as it was for the spring sports.

Comment

I just dont see how you can give an extra year back to winter sports. It sucks but the season is over. If seniors get it everyone should get it and not count against scholly numbers. I think it's like injury if you complete 30 percent of your season it counts as a year. Or what ever the percent is. Spring sports shouldn't have completed 30% so should get year back. Winter sports sorry. And at most schools would have only had a couple games left if that. Only those who didnt complete conference tourney stinks. A lot of schools still would have made nit cit CBI so a few games left to play for. I think it stinks more that there wont be any national championships for all those sports.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Winter sports are finished, albeit without post-season play. There will be no adjustment for all athletes in those competitions. Athletes in spring sports will be adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          Winter sports are finished, albeit without post-season play. There will be no adjustment for all athletes in those competitions. Athletes in spring sports will be adjusted.
          Is that from ncaa? I sure hope that's the case unfortunately.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It sure would be great to have Pohlmeyer and Carlson back in the room, and they're probably not taking up a huge amount of scholarship space, but I have to think that, for most teams, this would take money away from their recruits. We'd also be asking these two senior to pay for another year of college (the part not covered by scholorship) just to hang around in wrestle when they already have their degrees. Then, of course, you have Ivy League, military, and DIII teams without scholarships, which makes it really hazy. I don't think there's a good way to do this, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Comment

Even though this thread was discussing something else it can technically be applied to the following news. Marty Mueller was denied a six year of eligibility per a tweet he posted. You could tell from reading his post he was pretty upset about it.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Even though this thread was discussing something else it can technically be applied to the following news. Marty Mueller was denied a six year of eligibility per a tweet he posted. You could tell from reading his post he was pretty upset about it.
                Everyone really thought he would be granted another year; the coaches, the team, his family, etc. It was a real blow to get the news that he was denied. He worked really hard last year to try and recover for this year. NCAA just took that and threw it away. No idea why they would deny him. either. Pretty crappy way to treat a student who couldn't compete due to injury.
                Rollin' in my 5.0
                With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Working...
                X