X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Battle of the Border Bell" NDSU Rivalry Dual

Battle of the Border Bell

NDSU wins 17-15 on paper;
    We'll Go over this on The TakeDown Podcast this week and hope to have an interview with SDSU Wrestling staff as well.
    Tyler Sorenson (Interviewed in last weeks Pod) will be joining me in lieu of Steve (stchrist) this week.

125: #24 Danny Vega vs, McGwire Midkiff

133: Zach Price vs, #17 Cam Sykora

141: Clay Carlson vs, Dylan Droegemueller

149: #10 Henry Pohlmeyer vs, Jaden Van Maanen

157: Peyton Smith vs, #16 Jared Franek

165: #25 Tanner Cook vs, #10 Andrew Fogarty

174: Kelby Hawkins vs, Luke Webe

184: #17 Zach Carlson vs, Noah Cressell

197: #19 Tanner Sloan vs, Cordell Eaton

285: Blake Wolters vs, #25 Brandon Metz
    Last edited by slosho; 02-17-2020, 10:10 PM. Reason: Updated the Error for HWT and added the point on paper for the 174 match not being Cade King.

Why is Stibral in the lineup over Metz?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Why is Stibral in the lineup over Metz?
      The answer is because I copied over their lineup from the Stanford Dual and missed that. Good catch UWMandSDSU I updated the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

The answer is because I copied over their lineup from the Stanford Dual and missed that. Good catch UWMandSDSU I updated the OP.
        Gotcha. Thought you had some breaking news.

Comment

This could be a tough one for SDSU. They're going to have to win on bonus points or catch an upset to win. Every match seems to have a strong favorite and they should split 5-5. It might be a good idea to bump Cook again. Fogarty is very good and Cook has a shot at pinning Weber. Weber is really a 157 pounder so I don't think it would be a strength mismatch.

Comment

Interestingly there is only 2 matches that do not feature a ranked wrestler.
            141 where we have the advantage "on Paper" and
            174 Where they have the advantage "on Paper".

For the record the match I want us to score the Upset on the most is 133.

Comment

Gotcha. Thought you had some breaking news.
              I wish; but lineups (outside of expected wrestlers) are fairly guarded on a match like this.

Comment

Interestingly there is only 2 matches that do not feature a ranked wrestler.
                141 where we have the advantage "on Paper" and
                174 Where they have the advantage "on Paper".

For the record the match I want us to score the Upset on the most is 133.
                Who do you see has advantage at 125? Vega even though ranked was TF’ed by Midkiff at Bison Open. Probably was not a true representation of Vega.

Comment

Who do you see has advantage at 125? Vega even though ranked was TF’ed by Midkiff at Bison Open. Probably was not a true representation of Vega.
                  I think that the higher ranking is playing a big factor here. The only common opponent Danny has really beat by a greater margin is he Maj. Christan Moody 13-4 and Midkif only Dec. The same guy 2-0.

As stated in the last podcast. Computers lie.

Last edited by slosho; 02-18-2020, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
                    This could be a tough one for SDSU. They're going to have to win on bonus points or catch an upset to win. Every match seems to have a strong favorite and they should split 5-5. It might be a good idea to bump Cook again. Fogarty is very good and Cook has a shot at pinning Weber. Weber is really a 157 pounder so I don't think it would be a strength mismatch.
                    I'll disagree. All of NDSU favored matches should be decisions at best. SDSU favored matches have far better chances for bonus points. Including the Frost advantage and Hahn's coaching edge over Kish, it'll be an SDSU win by at least 4.

Comment

I think that the higher ranking is playing a big factor here. The only common opponent Danny has really beat by a greater margin is he Maj. Christan Moody 13-4 and Midkif only Dec. The same guy 2-0.

As stated in the last podcast. Computers lie.

I have a hard time with that too. Midkiff went on to be beaten by Tanner Jordan during that same tournament so I know that he isn't THAT good and obviously Vega went on to have a very good year while Midkiff has been mediocre. All metrics point to a Vega win. . . except the fact the he was teched by him. I still think Vega will win, maybe he was hurt or sick or Midkiff got a good tilt with him that Vega has since figured out. It's very curious.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

I'll disagree. All of NDSU favored matches should be decisions at best. SDSU favored matches have far better chances for bonus points. Including the Frost advantage and Hahn's coaching edge over Kish, it'll be an SDSU win by at least 4.
                        You might be right. We've kind of gotten used to seeing the Jacks over performing but I think our expectations may have caught up to reality at this point. It looks like Pohlmeyer has about a fifty-fifty shot at bonus, Sloan has a little better odds than that and Carlson should be a strong favorite to get bonus. For the Bison, Sykora has a shot though Price has been pretty stingy lately, Metz can beat up Wolters if things go his way, Fogarty should get bonus on Cook (of course, it's always hard to predict a match with Cook), Weber could get bonus on either King or Hawkins and Franek should be a favorite to get bonus over anyone we put out there. It really could go either way and it's all going to come down to preparation but the Bison should be the betting favorite in this dual. This should be close enough to be a very fun dual to watch and you can be sure the Frost is going to be very loud that day.

Comment

Forgot to mention that it is Senior night as well.

Zach Carlson 184 Murdock, Minn.

Laken Cook 157 Ilion, N.Y. Twitter

Kahlen Morris 125 SF Roosevelt Twitter

Martin Mueller 174 RC RC Central Twitter

Henry Pohlmeyer 149 Johnston IA

Has anybody heard is there any chance of a Medical RS for Marty, or is he ready to move on? I always like cheering that guy on!

Comment

Forgot to mention that it is Senior night as well.

Zach Carlson 184 Murdock, Minn.

Laken Cook 157 Ilion, N.Y. Twitter

Kahlen Morris 125 SF Roosevelt Twitter

Martin Mueller 174 RC RC Central Twitter

Henry Pohlmeyer 149 Johnston IA

Has anybody heard is there any chance of a Medical RS for Marty, or is he ready to move on? I always like cheering that guy on!
                            I have to think he would get one if he wanted it; he's been out all year. I'm not sure of his interest in sticking around, he twitter sure does seem to indicate a love for the sport. Laken Cook also has another year if he wants it. I suppose him walking on senior night means that he doesn't. It's a shame, I always thought that he would break through this year until the injury.

You have to admire this group. There's was probably about half a scholarship between the five of them out of high school and they all managed to make their careers into something that mattered. What a tough group of young men.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

You might be right. We've kind of gotten used to seeing the Jacks over performing but I think our expectations may have caught up to reality at this point. It looks like Pohlmeyer has about a fifty-fifty shot at bonus, Sloan has a little better odds than that and Carlson should be a strong favorite to get bonus. For the Bison, Sykora has a shot though Price has been pretty stingy lately, Metz can beat up Wolters if things go his way, Fogarty should get bonus on Cook (of course, it's always hard to predict a match with Cook), Weber could get bonus on either King or Hawkins and Franek should be a favorite to get bonus over anyone we put out there. It really could go either way and it's all going to come down to preparation but the Bison should be the betting favorite in this dual. This should be close enough to be a very fun dual to watch and you can be sure the Frost is going to be very loud that day.
                              Lol so Metz Weber and franek all have a bonus point percentage of 30.77 or below this year but now for a rivalry match they are gonna put on the jets and get bonus? Please! Sykora has a 50% bonus and ya if he locks up his tilts he could bonus but I hope to got that Hahn and co and game planning heavy for that not to happen. Fogarty has a 70% bonus this year but it really wouldn’t surprise me if we bump cook and insert O’Neil in essentially compete but don’t get bonused situation. Sloan and Carlson are both 50% bonus rate with a much more favorable matchups. Pohlmeyer is 40% bonus. Overall, I think it’s gonna be a good rivalry dual that the jacks win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X