Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019/2020 Lineup

Originally posted by KSjack View Post
    Not necessarily. Why not have 11 weights? It should help with less ties and would also bring more opportunities. I think a light heavyweight at 225 or 230 would be beneficial. Should also help with injuries that heavyweights have been prone too with knees and shoulders as we won’t be having a 215 lber get below a 275 lber this causing the injury. I see both sides but just think adding a weight would be more beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What about scholarships? Are you gonna add one or split it up more?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
      What about scholarships? Are you gonna add one or split it up more?
      Seriously I don't know what the limit is. but Add one for sure

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          I'm not sure that's the way it works but....

Comment

While it would be nice to be able to add another scholarship and thus another weight class, I just don't see more scholarships being available for those who identify as male athletes. Creating more opportunities and reducing the chances for ties would be awesome!

My biggest point is that the current weight classes were set in 1999 - 20 years ago. Athletes are bigger today than they were 20 years ago. In 2011, the average ideal weight for men in the U.S. was reported to be 181 lbs. That is 10 pounds more than what was reported 20 years earlier. The current average for all ten NCAA weight classes is 171 lbs.

The next thing I'd add to this debate is the hardest weight class to fill is at 125 lbs. Why not move the weight classes closer to what the International Freestyle/Greco weight classes? (I'd argue to bump 125 closer to 128 lbs.)

125.7/121.3 lbs. (Freestyle/Greco)
            134.5/132.3
            143.3/138.9
            154.3/147.7
            163/158.7
            174.2/169.8
            189.6/180.8
            202.8/191.8
            213.8/213.8
            275.6/286.6

While we agree that their are more lucrative opportunities in football for 200+ pound athletes, not all of them can play football. (For a typical SDSU game, roughly 30 players will play - box score for Minnesota game had 29 that saw the field.)

Finally, the most impressive wrestler I've watched in recent history is Kyle Snyder. His natural weight is around 215 lbs. Two years ago he was named the best pound-for-pound wrestler in the world while still wrestling for the Ohio State. To watch him at his best, it was against wrestlers that were 220 lbs. or lighter. I'd rather watch elite athletes at this weight class than at 125 lbs. any day.

This story from InterMat Wrestling from a few years ago is a good background reading on this debate.

Comment

Would it be way to simple to just increase each weight class by 10 pounds?

Comment

I think that the weight-classes are almost perfectly situated to distribute talent across weights. We happen to have a surplus of talented big guys, but that's a pretty rare situation in which to find yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                  While it would be nice to be able to add another scholarship and thus another weight class, I just don't see more scholarships being available for those who identify as male athletes. Creating more opportunities and reducing the chances for ties would be awesome!

My biggest point is that the current weight classes were set in 1999 - 20 years ago. Athletes are bigger today than they were 20 years ago. In 2011, the average ideal weight for men in the U.S. was reported to be 181 lbs. That is 10 pounds more than what was reported 20 years earlier. The current average for all ten NCAA weight classes is 171 lbs.

The next thing I'd add to this debate is the hardest weight class to fill is at 125 lbs. Why not move the weight classes closer to what the International Freestyle/Greco weight classes? (I'd argue to bump 125 closer to 128 lbs.)

125.7/121.3 lbs. (Freestyle/Greco)
                  134.5/132.3
                  143.3/138.9
                  154.3/147.7
                  163/158.7
                  174.2/169.8
                  189.6/180.8
                  202.8/191.8
                  213.8/213.8
                  275.6/286.6

While we agree that their are more lucrative opportunities in football for 200+ pound athletes, not all of them can play football. (For a typical SDSU game, roughly 30 players will play - box score for Minnesota game had 29 that saw the field.)

Finally, the most impressive wrestler I've watched in recent history is Kyle Snyder. His natural weight is around 215 lbs. Two years ago he was named the best pound-for-pound wrestler in the world while still wrestling for the Ohio State. To watch him at his best, it was against wrestlers that were 220 lbs. or lighter. I'd rather watch elite athletes at this weight class than at 125 lbs. any day.

This story from InterMat Wrestling from a few years ago is a good background reading on this debate.
                  While I still enjoy a wild scrap at 125lb I'm with you on having that 215lb. Granted they are the elite of the elite, but I would watch Snyder vs Sadulaev from Russia scrap any day of the week. Those dudes are incredible athletes. With Wrestling Popularity at an all-time high and guys starting to make some cash on the international level, add in a decline in football participation, you could see guys starting to choose Wrestling over Football. Plus always the debate of being a 3rd stringer in Football or a star wrestler could make a HS Kids decision a tough one.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                    While I still enjoy a wild scrap at 125lb I'm with you on having that 215lb. Granted they are the elite of the elite, but I would watch Snyder vs Sadulaev from Russia scrap any day of the week. Those dudes are incredible athletes. With Wrestling Popularity at an all-time high and guys starting to make some cash on the international level, add in a decline in football participation, you could see guys starting to choose Wrestling over Football. Plus always the debate of being a 3rd stringer in Football or a star wrestler could make a HS Kids decision a tough one.
                    Cc Mason Parris ... Shawn Streck played both until he got in trouble. I believe Nebraska had a back up heavyweight that was also a starter in football. It’s starting to happen with the increased opportunities after college. Wrestling is growing but at the same time is still and most likely forever will be the little brother to football but if we can steal an athlete like Parris here and there I’m all for it!

Comment

Flowrestling released their preseason rankings. Pohlmeyer is #20 at 149 and Sloan is #5 at 197

https://www.flowrestling.org/ranking...133-seth-gross
                      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Cc Mason Parris ... Shawn Streck played both until he got in trouble. I believe Nebraska had a back up heavyweight that was also a starter in football. ItÂ’s starting to happen with the increased opportunities after college. Wrestling is growing but at the same time is still and most likely forever will be the little brother to football but if we can steal an athlete like Parris here and there IÂ’m all for it!

100% Agree, Wrestling will never take over Football in popularity unless Football is banned (Let's hope not). I just love seeing the sport rising with more opportunities for kids to wrestle at a higher level. The international scene has exploded to a point where D1 Programs need to heavily consider creating RTC or Freestyle Team for the Spring & Summer Circuits to compete in recruiting. I truly think Nash H. wanted to wrestle but literally outgrew the sport. He would have been a superstar, where now there's a bit more uncertainty playing D-Line at Nebraska. With that said, I hope the young man kills it down there.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          Flowrestling released their preseason rankings. Pohlmeyer is #20 at 149 and Sloan is #5 at 197

https://www.flowrestling.org/ranking...133-seth-gross
                          133lbs Could either be a bloodbath of a weight class or easy pickings for Gross. Fix & Micic should be eligible to take Olympic Redshirts after making it to Worlds this year. I know Yianni D is taking one, therefore not ranked at 141lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                            133lbs Could either be a bloodbath of a weight class or easy pickings for Gross. Fix & Micic should be eligible to take Olympic Redshirts after making it to Worlds this year. I know Yianni D is taking one, therefore not ranked at 141lbs.
                            Nick Suriano is also taking an Olympic redshirt for at least the first semester as well and therefore not ranked either.

Comment

I’m surprised that gross doesn’t take an Olympic redshirt being at a tweener weight. A lot of people go to school for 8 years!

Comment

I’m surprised that gross doesn’t take an Olympic redshirt being at a tweener weight. A lot of people go to school for 8 years!

I'm pretty sure he doesn't qualify for an Olympic redshirt and he would have to file an appeal for one even if he did qualify

Comment

Working...
                                X