• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91jack
    replied
    Re: Iowa State Head Coaching Position Open

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Justin has now hired most of our current head coaches. The following were hired before he arrived:

WBB: AJ
    FB: Stig
    Swimming & Diving: Brad Erickson (retiring at the end of this year)
    Track/CC: Rod DeHaven

Correct me if I'm wrong but only tennis, volleyball and baseball are on their 2nd head coach since Justin arrived. He hired Phil McDaniel for VB which didn't work out so well. The previous tennis coach, Michael Engdahl, did a phenomenal job raising that program from out of the mud and then he left for a better opportunity in the tennis realm. Not really sure how well our current tennis coach is doing. Our prior head baseball coach, Dave Schrage, left for the job at Butler to be closer to his grand kids.

With that said, he's only had to fire 1 of his own hires. I'd say that is a pretty good track record.
    I think you could add equestrian to that list but don't know for sure.

It looks like Justin has been busy. He's had to hire MBB, Baseball, S&D, Tennis, Soccer, Equestrian, Volleyball, Wrestling, Golf and Softball all in the last 3 years or so. That's probably twice as many coaches as he's had to hire in the first 5 years here. That is a lot of information to run through in a short period of time. Of course, now that we are DI, this might be more of the norm.

Leave a comment:

• SUPERBUNNY
    replied

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Justin has now hired most of our current head coaches. The following were hired before he arrived:

Correct me if I'm wrong but only tennis, volleyball and baseball are on their 2nd head coach since Justin arrived. He hired Phil McDaniel for VB which didn't work out so well. The previous tennis coach, Michael Engdahl, did a phenomenal job raising that program from out of the mud and then he left for a better opportunity in the tennis realm. Not really sure how well our current tennis coach is doing. Our prior head baseball coach, Dave Schrage, left for the job at Butler to be closer to his grand kids.

With that said, he's only had to fire 1 of his own hires. I'd say that is a pretty good track record.
    Thanks for the insight! That is a solid track record indeed. I'm more worried about hanging on to Sell than the coaches.

SUPERBUNNY

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    This should probably go into another thread but I have heard several times that people have faith in Justin for good hires at SDSU. I don't remember when he came and who all he hired. If somebody wants to move this post or start a new thread they can do that.
    I know that he hired Bono and that is a home run but it seems like most of the other really good coaches (AJ, Stig, Lang, Nagy, Ericsson- 2nd in the conference but losing to Denver is almost a given, DeHaven- CC) were hear before Justin arrived at SDSU.
    I think that Van Damme looks like he will be a really good coach and I still have faith in TJ. Baseball seems to have a good year and then a bad year. They are probably right around .500 in the conference over the last 10 years or so. I don't know about tennis, volleyball, softball and equestrian. Those all have new coaches but are any of them near winning conference championships?
    Can someone help me with the hires that Justin has made and how they are doing? Did he hire Lang?
    I think Justin seems like a good guy and I like him but I just can't remember who were his good/bad hires at SDSU.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    This should probably go into another thread but I have heard several times that people have faith in Justin for good hires at SDSU. I don't remember when he came and who all he hired. If somebody wants to move this post or start a new thread they can do that.
    I know that he hired Bono and that is a home run but it seems like most of the other really good coaches (AJ, Stig, Lang, Nagy, Ericsson- 2nd in the conference but losing to Denver is almost a given, DeHaven- CC) were hear before Justin arrived at SDSU.
    I think that Van Damme looks like he will be a really good coach and I still have faith in TJ. Baseball seems to have a good year and then a bad year. They are probably right around .500 in the conference over the last 10 years or so. I don't know about tennis, volleyball, softball and equestrian. Those all have new coaches but are any of them near winning conference championships?
    Can someone help me with the hires that Justin has made and how they are doing? Did he hire Lang?
    I think Justin seems like a good guy and I like him but I just can't remember who were his good/bad hires at SDSU.
    Lang was an Oien hire, the Liberty press release says he was SDSU for 17 years.

Leave a comment:

• SUPERBUNNY
    replied

I certainly hope that we are able to retain Coach Bono. What he has done has not only turned around his sport but inspired many within the AD. Personally, I've gotten to know him fairly well. You can't be around and not be motivated to do better. That's just who he is. He lives it every day.

If he were offered the job at ISU it would be surprising if he didn't take it. He's an alum and what he has done here has been noticed by everyone in college wrestling. The fact that SDSU has been added to the Big 12 has probably been a big part in keeping him to this point. Wrestling is a sport that is really struggling and many programs have dropped. Like some have mentioned above. SDSU could have gone either way when they brought Bono in. We're all glad they didn't cancel the sport at SDSU. SDSU is a real shining star in the NCAA Wrestling ranks right now. What is going on here is remarkable and frankly it would be hard to see why his alma mater wouldn't jump at the chance to bring him back.

Bono has a good thing here in Brooking without the pressure that being the coach of such a venerable program. He is the pied piper of wrestling around here. The pay difference can probably be figured out and not knowing how Iowa taxes individuals it may not be much of a difference anyway. It will come down to what he and his family want for the future.

As many have said, being a mid-major, this is reality. It isn't a bad thing in any way. It means that we are having real success at SDSU. There aren't a lot of D1 head coach opportunities out there and even fewer in a major conference. If Bono leaves we will have an incredible pool of talent to choose from. And we may very well already have that guy on staff in Reader.

Jacks fans should consider this exciting not scary. If we keep Coach Bono here we should be ecstatic. The biggest thing we can do as fans is buy tickets and go watch them wrestle. Bono wants to build the program here and grow fan interest so that this is one of the special places in wresting. He's off to a great start. A lot of it is now up to us. We can start by showing up tonight to watch the Jacks take on one of the "Top 5" programs JimmieTuba mentions in the post above. If you haven't gone to one of the matches this year you are truly missing out. And that comes from a football and basketball guy. The matches are a blast. Wrestling fans are into it more than any other.

SUPERBUNNY

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    But I also have confidence in Justin that he will find another good coach that can keep the culture of success going and continue to push the team to greater heights.

My $.02, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• JimmieTuba
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    While I agree that as a mid major program we should expect coaching turnover in about every sport we have, but I legitimately think we have the capability to become a high end wrestling program with our location in a part of the country where wrestling is a big deal, as well as the fact that high end wrestling coaches salaries aren't nearly as out of reach as basketball or football. Especially since I believe we are capable of having a wrestling following that rivals most programs, looking at what we have been able to draw recently. But I could be way out of line in that thinking, I just look at programs like Lehigh that are very successful and have to think we could duplicate that if we can keep someone like Bono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think you are out of line. However, I would say there are four to five positions that any coach will take if they are not at one of those 5. Oklahoma St., Iowa, Iowa St., Penn St., and Minnesota are the traditional power houses of wrestling. If the SDSU coach is offered one of those jobs, it would be hard to turn it down. There is so much tradition and passion at those schools, it is hard to top. I do believe SDSU can be competitive salary-wise, but money isn't always the deciding factor.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

Coach Bono was at the WBB game tonight. He was an active guy talking to the crowd.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

While I agree that as a mid major program we should expect coaching turnover in about every sport we have, but I legitimately think we have the capability to become a high end wrestling program with our location in a part of the country where wrestling is a big deal, as well as the fact that high end wrestling coaches salaries aren't nearly as out of reach as basketball or football. Especially since I believe we are capable of having a wrestling following that rivals most programs, looking at what we have been able to draw recently. But I could be way out of line in that thinking, I just look at programs like Lehigh that are very successful and have to think we could duplicate that if we can keep someone like Bono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    That's a real possibility. But then again, we are a mid-major school, so coaching turnover is to be expected. Especially if you have good run of success like Coach Bono has had.

If he does decide to leave, he would probably be considered the savior of our program. Let's face it, the program was pretty much on the outs during the transition. And there was even talk on this board as to whether or not to continue to support the program. Fortunately Justin realized that wrestling is important in South Dakota and was able to get the right person to come in and not only rebuild the program, but to make it a national power.

I hope Coach stays. He's a lot of fun to talk to and his passion is infectious. But if he decides to go back to his Alma Mater, I can't blame him for that. But I also have confidence in Justin that he will find another good coach that can keep the culture of success going and continue to push the team to greater heights.

My $.02, anyway.
    Your 2 cents is very on target. I can not think of anyone who has turned a program around so quickly. I would agree he inherited shambles and turn it around. I hope we can find a replacement such as Assistant Reader if Bono decides to leave.

Leave a comment:

• jackrabit1
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Oh boy, we could loose our coach.
    That's a real possibility. But then again, we are a mid-major school, so coaching turnover is to be expected. Especially if you have good run of success like Coach Bono has had.

If he does decide to leave, he would probably be considered the savior of our program. Let's face it, the program was pretty much on the outs during the transition. And there was even talk on this board as to whether or not to continue to support the program. Fortunately Justin realized that wrestling is important in South Dakota and was able to get the right person to come in and not only rebuild the program, but to make it a national power.

I hope Coach stays. He's a lot of fun to talk to and his passion is infectious. But if he decides to go back to his Alma Mater, I can't blame him for that. But I also have confidence in Justin that he will find another good coach that can keep the culture of success going and continue to push the team to greater heights.

My $.02, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Oh boy, we could loose our coach.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Blog posting on some contenders.
    http://www.bloodround.com/blog/2017/...d-isu-go-after

Leave a comment:

• rabbits64
    replied

From what I have heard, which are very reliable people, is that Sellhas known
    Bono will leave, and that Sell will go after Reader as the replacement. Bono almost had the Oklahoma job last year and they gave Bono a raise. i think the biggest question is if Schopp stays or goes with Bono. If Reader stays this program keeps going.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    All I'll say is this...IF Bono gets offered the ISU job, Justin Sell should station himself in Jon Reader's living room with a contract and check book. Reader is so good and ready for a head job. Can't afford to lose both of them to the same job.
    Lol. exactly what I was thinking. We have Bono 2.0 waiting in the wings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X