Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shocker-IOC drops wrestling

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I'd go folkstyle as well, but I think free-style is pretty popular outside of the mid-west.

Baseball/softball are probably the most upset about this, because they had the support behind them to get the last spot, but now wrestling is in the same category.
    Folkstyle is only popular in the US as that is where it was created.

Joeboo, earlier you mentioned that wrestling is not very popular worldwide. I completely disagree with you. Wrestling is on 7 continents. Though it might not be held in olympic styles, I would bet that wrestling is more popular across the world that any other sport. Every culture has a style of wrestling.

I hope wrestling doesn't get dropped in the end. All this shows is that the IOC thinks they can do what they want. Get the US and Russia to say they won't participate anymore and threaten to drop out and it will take the wind out of the IOC's sails completely.
    [Jacks] Baseball is Life.

Comment

Sounds like the IOC is buckling to some pressure. From what I've been reading, they are going to add three sports to the 2020 games, rather than just the one. So Baseball/Softball and Wrestling have a chance.

As a former "Mat-Rat", I am beyond incensed at this short-sighted and elitist move by the IOC. I think those folks have a permanent case of rectal-cranial inversion.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

In my opinion, the IOC is every bit as corrupt as international soccer. Which means very, very corrupt indeed.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Calling the IOC corrupt is like calling the Pope Catholic.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
            Sounds like the IOC is buckling to some pressure. From what I've been reading, they are going to add three sports to the 2020 games, rather than just the one. So Baseball/Softball and Wrestling have a chance.

As a former "Mat-Rat", I am beyond incensed at this short-sighted and elitist move by the IOC. I think those folks have a permanent case of rectal-cranial inversion.
            It needs a complete overhaul. The Olympics have shifted away from a competition that features the world's greatest amateur athletes to some overblown, poorly managed circus that dumps waste on a city, region and then bolts for the next victim (or something like that). All I know is the games have lost all relevance for me and a bunch of people like me.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              It needs a complete overhaul. The Olympics have shifted away from a competition that features the world's greatest amateur athletes to some overblown, poorly managed circus that dumps waste on a city, region and then bolts for the next victim (or something like that). All I know is the games have lost all relevance for me and a bunch of people like me.
              The worst thing is when they allowed professionals to compete, instead of amateurs. Then it became less about the spirit of competition and more about ratings and revenue.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Primetime aka NBC runs the Olympics. NBC paid IOC 1.2 billion to air the Olympics in London alone. It's problem is deeper than just the IOC
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                  Primetime aka NBC runs the Olympics. NBC paid IOC 1.2 billion to air the Olympics in London alone. It's problem is deeper than just the IOC
                  I don't think that really mattered though, its corruption and its the guys on the IOC board have ties to specific sports and also have ties to their countries. Its the whole I'm not going to cut a sport that is popular in my country but I will cut a sport that is popular in a country that I don't like. Its like Kindergarten for big boys, where if you don't like someone instead of not letting them play with the toy, you kick a sport that is popular in their country out of the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer Jack View Post
                    Folkstyle is only popular in the US as that is where it was created.

Joeboo, earlier you mentioned that wrestling is not very popular worldwide. I completely disagree with you. Wrestling is on 7 continents. Though it might not be held in olympic styles, I would bet that wrestling is more popular across the world that any other sport. Every culture has a style of wrestling.

I hope wrestling doesn't get dropped in the end. All this shows is that the IOC thinks they can do what they want. Get the US and Russia to say they won't participate anymore and threaten to drop out and it will take the wind out of the IOC's sails completely.
                    I like this idea,a boycott that the US and Russia are on the same side and unified for once .Wrestling is popular to both countries.

Comment

Working...
                    X