Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks sign 2

Originally posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    I'm hoping the Bison can get an AA this year. Sprenkle and Monk have the potential and maybe Lehman.....

Do the Jacks have anyone with AA potential this year?
    Based on rankings from Intermat, the Jacks only ranked wrestler is David Klingsheim who is ranked 20th at 125. Klingsheim is our transfer from the Huskers. He was a surprise Big XII Champion in 2011, but dropped out of the Husker program following that year. He went 0-2 at nationals that year. That is also the weight that Aaron Pickrel has wrestled the last two years. Pickrel produced the most Jackrabbit wins last year, going 23-11 and 4-2 in conference. He finished 3rd at the Warren Williamson/Daktronics Open this weekend.

Ironically, our best chance at having a wrestler qualify for nationals would be at the same 125 lb weight that NDSU's Trent Sprenkle competes at. Intermat has him ranked at 12th. I also see that the Bison's Steven Monk is ranked 12th at 160 lbs.

Our only other returning wrestler with a winning record last year is Dustin Walraven at 141 lbs. He went 16-12 and led the team with 5 pins last year.

SDSU has had only one wrestler earn a top 8 placing at the DI Nationals. That happened to be Pat Dorn who qualified twice for the DI Championships based on his performance at the DII Nationals. Dorn finished 8th at 134 lbs in 1988. The NCAA stopped inviting DII champions some time in the 90's I believe, otherwise Chad Lamer would have had a good shot. He was a 3-time champion in DII (1994 & 1995 at 177, and 1996 at 190). He didn't lose to many DI wrestlers in his final 3 years. Lamer is a current volunteer coach for this year's team.

Since the Jacks have made the jump to DI, we've only had two wrestlers qualify for the DI Championships - Ryan Meyer at 165 lbs in 2007 and Tyler Sorenson at 197 lbs in 2009.
    Last edited by GopherHole; 11-05-2012, 10:23 AM. Reason: Added info about Trent Sprenkle.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
      Based on rankings from Intermat, the Jacks only ranked wrestler is David Klingsheim who is ranked 20th at 125. Klingsheim is our transfer from the Huskers. He was a surprise Big XII Champion in 2011, but dropped out of the Husker program following that year. He went 0-2 at nationals that year. That is also the weight that Aaron Pickrel has wrestled the last two years. Pickrel produced the most Jackrabbit wins last year, going 23-11 and 4-2 in conference. He finished 3rd at the Warren Williamson/Daktronics Open this weekend.

Ironically, our best chance at having a wrestler qualify for nationals would be at the same 125 lb weight that NDSU's Trent Sprenkle competes at. Intermat has him ranked at 12th. I also see that the Bison's Steven Monk is ranked 12th at 160 lbs.

Our only other returning wrestler with a winning record last year is Dustin Walraven at 141 lbs. He went 16-12 and led the team with 5 pins last year.

SDSU has had only one wrestler earn a top 8 placing at the DI Nationals. That happened to be Pat Dorn who qualified twice for the DI Championships based on his performance at the DII Nationals. Dorn finished 8th at 134 lbs in 1988. The NCAA stopped inviting DII champions some time in the 90's I believe, otherwise Chad Lamer would have had a good shot. He was a 3-time champion in DII (1994 & 1995 at 177, and 1996 at 190). He didn't lose to many DI wrestlers in his final 3 years. Lamer is a current volunteer coach for this year's team.

Since the Jacks have made the jump to DI, we've only had two wrestlers qualify for the DI Championships - Ryan Meyer at 165 lbs in 2007 and Tyler Sorenson at 197 lbs in 2009.
      I believe Meyer qualified in his freshman year. I was really bummed he left the team. Thought he had a chance to make some noise at nationals in his final three years.

I suspect his leaving the team had something to do with the coach at the time. Glad the Jacks got Bono I can see good things happening in the next 5 years with our wrestling program.

Comment

Originally posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
        I haven't seen who SDSU has brought in this year.

Wrestling is a great sport but doesn't have a huge following on bisonville compared to football.....probably the same here. One thing that I have always wondered is why NDSU/SDSU do not recruit schools like Simley or Apple Valley more. Those 2 programs are perenially some of the best in the country and produce many very good wrestlers. Not all of those kids can go to U of M or Wisky or Nebraska. Gophers have taken some of the best ND kids in years past and if those guys would have gone to NDSU.....?? Same with the Storley kid from Webster (I think)....he went to the Gophs. I know that the Gophs are one of the best programs in the country and cannot blame a kid for going there but what if these kids stayed home??

I'm hoping the Bison can get an AA this year. Sprenkle and Monk have the potential and maybe Lehman.....

Do the Jacks have anyone with AA potential this year?
        After this weekend I am thinking that Cody Pack might have a decent shot at qualifying. After tournament #1 things are definitely looking up!
        [Jacks] Baseball is Life.

Comment

theopenmat.com ranks the Jacks' 2013 recruiting class No. 10 in the nation, ahead of Iowa, Illinois, Ohio State, N.C. State, etc.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
            theopenmat.com ranks the Jacks' 2013 recruiting class No. 10 in the nation, ahead of Iowa, Illinois, Ohio State, N.C. State, etc.
            That's very impressive.

Awhile back, there was discussion about dropping wrestling to save money. I defended the sport because I believe we could compete on a national level at least individually. I think that #10 ranking shows that competing is possible. Hopefully the momentum carries over to the mat.

Comment

My gosh, this is starting to get ridiculous...another top10 national wrestler from Illinois and a 2-time greco natonal champ from iowa
              https://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec/s...16477042339841
              https://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec/s...84190600249346

Comment

Haha this is getting pretty ridiculous! It seems like once a week we are signing a top 100 recruit.
                [Jacks] Baseball is Life.

Comment

Does anyone have a running list of wrestling recruits or will I need to go back through to find them all?
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Wow! Awesome stuff and keep it going!

Comment

Nate Rotert- 197- SD
                      Austin Oyen- 133/141- SD
                      Brandon Brunner- 133- Tenessee
                      Colton Langaniere- 138- Minnesota
                      Paul Mascarenas- 113- New Mexico
                      Matt Seabold- 184- Iowa
                      Collin Holler- 160- Illinois

This is what I was able to find looking back at the thread and also using the links provided. There was also mention of a kid from AZ, but was unable to find any info.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Holler was the last piece of the puzzle for next year's class (not that something else couldn't happen, of course). Coach Bono was extremely hopeful they would land Holler, but were waiting for the call. They obviously got it. Two wrestlers ranked in the top 10 nationally in their weight class is unbelievable! Both of those committed after the release of the the rating that had us with the 10th best recruiting class (BTW, NDSU was at 7th in that ranking).

Also, in regards to this year's team, Klingshiem (sp), our transfer from Nebraska, is out for the season (injury). That leaves Aaron Pickeral all alone at the 125 lb. spot. He looks to have a very good year.

Comment

Gotta admit I have never followed wrestling, but is it typical for a new coach to be able to go out and recruit a class like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            Holler was the last piece of the puzzle for next year's class (not that something else couldn't happen, of course). Coach Bono was extremely hopeful they would land Holler, but were waiting for the call. They obviously got it. Two wrestlers ranked in the top 10 nationally in their weight class is unbelievable! Both of those committed after the release of the the rating that had us with the 10th best recruiting class (BTW, NDSU was at 7th in that ranking).

Also, in regards to this year's team, Klingshiem (sp), our transfer from Nebraska, is out for the season (injury). That leaves Aaron Pickeral all alone at the 125 lb. spot. He looks to have a very good year.
                            I was wondering about Klingshiem as he didn't wrestle in the Dak Williamson Open. Not necessarily a bad thing to have him out this year as both him and Pickeral are at 125 and are both very good.

I'm excited about the future of Jacks wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                              Nate Rotert- 197- SD
                              Austin Oyen- 133/141- SD
                              Brandon Brunner- 133- Tenessee
                              Colton Langaniere- 138- Minnesota
                              Paul Mascarenas- 113- New Mexico
                              Matt Seabold- 184- Iowa
                              Collin Holler- 160- Illinois

This is what I was able to find looking back at the thread and also using the links provided. There was also mention of a kid from AZ, but was unable to find any info.
                              I was the one who said but didn't link it....Hank Goettl is our AZ wrassler, his brother wrestles for Iowa State.... https://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec/s...39868420091904

Comment

Jacks sign 5 more

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=207501368

Comment

Working...
                                X