Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Head Wrestling Coach

TV just posted this...

SDSU will tab @chrisbono as wrestling coach. National champ and asst. at Iowa State; HC at Tenn-Chatt. Story in the Tuesday @argusleader.

Comment

I remember Bono wrestling for Iowa State...he was a great competitor and won a national title in a very competitive year. Looks like he was an assistant for the Cyclones, then an assistant at Tennessee-Chatt...head coach at TN-Chatt...then back to Iowa State as an assistant again. His personal website (link below) says he retired from coaching in 2010.

Here's a link to his website:

http://chrisbono.com/abio.html

Comment

Here's the story in the Argus Leader:
        http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Comment

Time to quit footing around and fully fund the program. A full allotment of scholarships and assistant coaches and this program will have the ability to consistently make SDSU proud. Any word on Eustice staying on as the assistant?

Comment

A great choice. He has the background to fit a D1 program. My guess is that Bono would pick his own assistants, which might include Eustice. There might be an advantage to keeping him.

Comment

Did a little more research, Eustice is apparently not going to return. Sell is working on adding another assistant and I have heard from a solid source that they are possibly adding another full scholarship.

Comment

Eustice is for sure not going to be there next year. Bono will want to pick his own assistants anyway and you would want him to. I look forward to a renewed vision and fresh start. Might take a couple years, but this is a great thing.
                “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

My wrestling friends who did not have anything positive to say about the program prior, all like the move, say this guy should bring notoriety to the program, and someone you would want to wrestle for. I do think that getting a solid assistant is key though, assistants do much of the recruiting, and coaching when the head is out recruiting.

I like the move, but again the move won't mean much if they don't fund the program.

Comment

Here's an interview with new Jack's coach, Coach Bono from InterMat.

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/artic...medium=twitter

Comment

This sure looks good on paper. Congrats to Coach Bono, let's bring the Jacks wrestling program back where it used to be and where it belongs, on top.

Comment

With all the local talent that can't get to to a BIG or BIG XII team, smaller schools should benefit. I would hope that in the next 5-10 years, SDSU can become a Northern Iowa or a Wyoming and compete with some larger schools.

Either way, this is a good step in the right direction for SDSU Wrestling.

-Homer
                        [Jacks] Baseball is Life.

Comment

Joeboo,

Can you expound on why the program was viewed so negatively by the HS coaches in SD? When I was part of the program in the late 90's/early 00's we had many quality SD wrestlers from all over the state. Granted those teams had some knuckleheads, but they were an outstanding wrestling team. I would also like to hear your thoughts on the Open Enrollment debate that is rearing its head in SD. That should probably have its own thread though.
                          Last edited by BitsTD; 04-18-2012, 08:13 AM. Reason: I wanted to direct the question to Joeboo

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                            Joeboo,

Can you expound on why the program was viewed so negatively by the HS coaches in SD? When I was part of the program in the late 90's/early 00's we had many quality SD wrestlers from all over the state. Granted those teams had some knuckleheads, but they were an outstanding wrestling team. I would also like to hear your thoughts on the Open Enrollment debate that is rearing its head in SD. That should probably have its own thread though.
                            I've talked to a few, but high level coaches and they had said they would talk to the coach about a player and get little or no feed back. Now some of that was probably budget, etc, and I do think that coaches like to think everyone is good enough. But I talked to players who went and talked about walking on, and these were state placers, who could have contributed and the coach said it wasn't worth their time to walk-on. Said that out of state wrestlers were given a higher placing then local kids, etc.

I think much of it had to do with budget, and the fact that wrestling is not something that many want to continue to do after high school where other sports are. But at least from what I had heard, he wasn't a coach that wrestlers wanted to wrestle for. Now whether that is because he wasn't a household name, or didn't have the ties to the big program I really don't know.

Today though I talked to some wrestlers at the high school about the coach and they all say SDSU did very well. All of them said they would WANT to wrestle for him, love the ties to Iowa State, plus the fact that he actively wrestled until just a few years ago.

Talked to another wrestler (3 time state placer)- he is a jr, but will go to SDSU when he graduates (great student), has talked about walking on the golf team, and I asked him about wrestling this fall, and he said it would be a waist of time because they weren't relevant, I asked him today, and he said it would be a waist of time because he wouldn't be close to good enough. Said this guy will be able to recruit like no other.

As far as open enrollment. I think its a debate that has many different sides to the story and every situation is different. I don't want to hijack this thread over it. But every leaves for a different reason, and from my experience very few actually leave for athletics only, unless the school doesn't offer it. Many times there is more behind the scenes that leads to the transfers, whether its the parents, teachers, other students, etc. Every case is different.
                            Last edited by joeboo22; 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Chad Lamer as an assistant?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                I've talked to a few, but high level coaches and they had said they would talk to the coach about a player and get little or no feed back. Now some of that was probably budget, etc, and I do think that coaches like to think everyone is good enough. But I talked to players who went and talked about walking on, and these were state placers, who could have contributed and the coach said it wasn't worth their time to walk-on. Said that out of state wrestlers were given a higher placing then local kids, etc.

I think much of it had to do with budget, and the fact that wrestling is not something that many want to continue to do after high school where other sports are. But at least from what I had heard, he wasn't a coach that wrestlers wanted to wrestle for. Now whether that is because he wasn't a household name, or didn't have the ties to the big program I really don't know.

Today though I talked to some wrestlers at the high school about the coach and they all say SDSU did very well. All of them said they would WANT to wrestle for him, love the ties to Iowa State, plus the fact that he actively wrestled until just a few years ago.

Talked to another wrestler (3 time state placer)- he is a jr, but will go to SDSU when he graduates (great student), has talked about walking on the golf team, and I asked him about wrestling this fall, and he said it would be a waist of time because they weren't relevant, I asked him today, and he said it would be a waist of time because he wouldn't be close to good enough. Said this guy will be able to recruit like no other.

As far as open enrollment. I think its a debate that has many different sides to the story and every situation is different. I don't want to hijack this thread over it. But every leaves for a different reason, and from my experience very few actually leave for athletics only, unless the school doesn't offer it. Many times there is more behind the scenes that leads to the transfers, whether its the parents, teachers, other students, etc. Every case is different.
                                Not to take away from your post, but I think you meant to spell "waste". I do it too so not picking on you.

Comment

Working...
                                X