2008 Soccer Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Soccer Season Thread

Can't say I'm a soccer fan, but this is awesome indeed! Congratulations and good luck in the NCAAs!
    "You trusted us"

Comment

Very nice Summit League Championship win for the women's team.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Terry's write-up of the championship game. As always, remember to hit the recommend button.

SDSU soccer crowned Summit champs
        Jacks shut out Oakland to earn first-ever berth to NCAA tournament
        from staff reports • November 10, 2008

MACOMB, Ill. - With another shutout and another clutch goal by its top scorer, the South Dakota State women's soccer team earned its first bid to the NCAA Division I tournament Sunday afternoon at John MacKenzie Alumni Field on the campus of Western Illinois.

Midfielder Erin Kasmarik scored her 10th goal of the season - and fifth game winner - in the 12th minute and the Jackrabbits held on to post their 10th shutout in a 1-0 victory against Oakland in the Summit League championship match.

By winning the conference tournament, SDSU - in its first year of postseason eligibility after making the transition from the Division II level - receives an automatic berth into the NCAA tournament. The 64-team field will be announced live at 7 tonight on ESPNews.

(read more)

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          Terry's write-up of the championship game. As always, remember to hit the recommend button.
          Actually it is Chris McKeown's write up. Chris made the trip with the team and was a hired gun for TV

Comment

http://www.brookingsregister.com/V2_...d=3412&page=77

SDSU soccer claims Summit championship
            Posted: Monday, Nov 10th, 2008
            BY: Nick Hartley & Staff Reports

The South Dakota State University women's soccer team took home its first-ever Summit League Championship trophy after defeating No. 1 seed Oakland University (Mich.), 1-0 , Sunday afternoon on a cold, windy day at John MacKenzie Alumni Field on the campus of Western Illinois University.

"It's hard to measure something this big," said head coach Lang Wedemeyer. "It was certainly a historic win and I'm very proud of the team."

Senior forward Erin Kasmarik put the Jacks ahead 1-0 with her 10th goal of the season and fifth game-winner . Kasmarik, who was named tournament MVP, took a pass from Illinois native Kayla Braffet and beat goalkeeper Kim Herbst with a header in the 12th minute.

"Kaz had a great weekend," said Wedemeyer. "She had some incredibly important goals and deserved the tournament MVP award."

Both teams had opportunities to score, but stingy defense prevailed. Senior goalkeeper Nicole Lograsso made two saves for SDSU in the sixth and eighth minute to keep the Golden Grizzlies off the board. SDSU missed its fair share of opportunities, as well, including Danni Healy hitting the post on a shot in the 15th minute.

"I think we did a pretty good job of taking advantage of opportunities," Wedemeyer said. "I think we had a few chances to seal the game and we didn't take advantage, but we did what we had to do." Lograsso ended the game with five saves for her 14th win of the season and 10th shutout of the season. Oakland held a 13-8 shot advantage and a 2-0 cornerkick advantage in the match.

"She (Lograsso) had a very solid game," said Wedemeyer. "She made things look easy and led the game well. She came off the line when needed to and was very solid."

Joining Kasmarik on the alltournament team from SDSU were midfielder Chelsea Goosen, forward Kellyn Farrell and defender Kelly Larson.

"There isn't much time (to prepare)," said Wedemeyer. "This is a long trip home, and we'll get back early Monday morning. We'll turn around Monday evening and figure out who we play and start preparing come Tuesday."

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
              Actually it is Chris McKeown's write up. Chris made the trip with the team and was a hired gun for TV
              Nope

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post

Where are you getting this. I think that hat of yours is getting a little too tight on your head. I think you need to get your info straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack B. Nimble View Post
                  Where are you getting this. I think that hat of yours is getting a little too tight on your head. I think you need to get your info straight.
                  Dude, you gotta end this Bluehat man-crush you have. Although I will assume the mods will likely do that for you.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

What time is the Soccer Match tomorrow???? Is there any Gametracker or anything like that for it??

Go Jacks!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      What time is the Soccer Match tomorrow???? Is there any Gametracker or anything like that for it??

Go Jacks!
                      Here is the link to live stat sheet. Toward the bottom, you will see a link to "live stats" for the SDSU, Colorado game. Game time is 3:00 PM CST.

Go State!!
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                      X