Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vanessa Johnson is leaving

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
    Surprised it took as long as it did! Where are the backers of the Chadron State guard?

Injuries are a son of a gun. Johnson was a heck of a prospect. Hope she is healthy at her next school.
    One backer of the Chadron State guard (she's going elsewhere, FYI) is right here. No disrespect intended, but you made a strong case for Amundson and Dells in 2006. You were pretty adamant about getting their names out there. I'm just saying, others have the right to talk about who they want, whether it be Shaunteva or Chris. People can choose to respond or not. Before the 1970's, noone is talking about women's sports. It's a good thing we have the opportunity, at least!

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
      One backer of the Chadron State guard (she's going elsewhere, FYI) is right here. No disrespect intended, but you made a strong case for Amundson and Dells in 2006. You were pretty adamant about getting their names out there. I'm just saying, others have the right to talk about who they want, whether it be Shaunteva or Chris. People can choose to respond or not. Before the 1970's, noone is talking about women's sports. It's a good thing we have the opportunity, at least!
      You must remember more about my feelings for Dell Rapids and Michelle Amundsen that I do. I don't know how adamant I could have been considering I saw that team play only once. Not one player on that team was a Division 1 prospect. I was stunned that Michelle was named Miss Basketball that year. Mount Marty got in very late on the recruitng process and got her there. The only other team that had showed any real interest at that point was Black Hills State.

Just so we are clear, and you can quote me correctly in 4 years, I am a big fan of both Ashley and Janis. At no point, however, in watching them for the last 4 years and 2 years, respectively, have I thought they were Division 1 difference makers. One man's opinion, and I have certainly been wrong before. Best of luck to both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
        You must remember more about my feelings for Dell Rapids and Michelle Amundsen that I do. I don't know how adamant I could have been considering I saw that team play only once. Not one player on that team was a Division 1 prospect. I was stunned that Michelle was named Miss Basketball that year. Mount Marty got in very late on the recruitng process and got her there. The only other team that had showed any real interest at that point was Black Hills State.

Just so we are clear, and you can quote me correctly in 4 years, I am a big fan of both Ashley and Janis. At no point, however, in watching them for the last 4 years and 2 years, respectively, have I thought they were Division 1 difference makers. One man's opinion, and I have certainly been wrong before. Best of luck to both of them.
        So, just for my own curiosity, do you find either would be able to play at the D-1 level, as a role player or solid contributor? To me that would be different then a differnce maker but I have no refrence on either of them because I have not watched either.

often times many good D-2 players and starters to me could very well compete or play at the D-1 level. Not always at a high level but mid and lower level teams. I have no view either way but would appreciate any input from you or others.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          So, just for my own curiosity, do you find either would be able to play at the D-1 level, as a role player or solid contributor? To me that would be different then a differnce maker but I have no refrence on either of them because I have not watched either.

often times many good D-2 players and starters to me could very well compete or play at the D-1 level. Not always at a high level but mid and lower level teams. I have no view either way but would appreciate any input from you or others.
          I agree that some of the more heralded D-2 players could play a defined role at the D-1 level in the right situation.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            I agree that some of the more heralded D-2 players could play a defined role at the D-1 level in the right situation.

I saw my fair share of D2 women's bb players that could have played significant roles in any situation at mid-major D1 program. Some of those teams that played in the early 2000's at SDSU were really good, and had some tremendous talent.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

goon: Sure. A lot of really good DII kids could play DI. There were ton of them at Frost in the 80's and 90's.

The problem is the definition of terms. What you and I consider "contribute" may make a difference. Contribute when? Playing time by the time they are a Junior? Second player off the bench when they are a Freshman? Many will not agree with my above use of the words "lot" and "ton".

And as Jackguy said, it depends on the program. In my opinion, there might be 3 or 4 guys at the South Dakota DII schools in the last year or 2 that could have helped the Jacks. I can't say the same about the Women. Of course, the SDSU Women are a top 30 program, and the Men are not.

Specific to this thread, I will say that I believe that the chance of a DII woman being able to contribute to a DI program increases in direct proportion to her size.

One man's opinion.

Comment

With only 13 scholarships available,a top 40 type program can't afford to sign players who project as role players. The strong possibilities of losing a few players to injuries or other problems means that end of the bench players need to be able to make solid contributions if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  With only 13 scholarships available,a top 40 type program can't afford to sign players who project as role players. The strong possibilities of losing a few players to injuries or other problems means that end of the bench players need to be able to make solid contributions if needed.
                  Women's BB has a 15-scholarship maximum; men's BB has a 13-scholarship maximum.

Comment

I'm not sure how many fans truely appreciate how much better this whole roster is now, than it was 8 years ago. I believe it was in Megan Vogels final season, I attended a luncheon where AJ was the guest speaker. He made a comment that only 3-4 players off of our national Championship DII team would have made the roster that year. Not make an impact, but make the roster, period. Someone had asked if the difference in competition from DII was less significant than he expected. He was making the point to emphasize that we had improved the roster to match the level of competition.

I love what some of those players meant to the school, but at the same time, I'm not sure how many of them would be 3-4 year starters with our current roster. Many of the previous all-time greats would get buried on the depth chart of the current team.

Comment

Vanessa Johnson is going to play at USF. Good get for the Coo!

Comment

Working...
                      X