Hot Stove 2010-11: Women's Basketball Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Stove 2010-11: Women's Basketball Edition

Over on the Oklahoma GDT, I think it was RabbitNation that suggested a thread for next year.

Since I'm pretty fired up about next year already I thought I'd put out a sticky thread for people to discuss the 2010-11 edition of Jackrabbit women's basketball.

Incoming freshmen, roles for the returning players, who'll be starters, who'll come off the bench, the schedule as it comes together, season predictions, and anything else that pertains will be fair game here.

For starters:
    2010 graduating seniors:
    Allison Anderson, guard (11 minutes per game, 0.8 points per game), Maria Boever, forward (28 mpg, 14.2 ppg),
    Ketty Cornemann, guard (27.6 mpg, 10.9 ppg).

Next year's roster:
    Macie Michelson, guard, senior
    Kristin Rotert, guard/forward, senior
    Jennifer Schuttloffel, forward, senior
    Vanessa Johnson, guard, junior
    Jennie Sunnarborg, forward, junior
    Jill Young, guard, junior
    Leah Dietel, forward, sophomore
    Ashley Eide, guard, sophomore
    Katie Lingle, center, sophomore
    Steph Paluch, guard, sophomore
    Tara Heiser, guard, RS freshman

Incoming freshmen:
    Gabrielle Boever, guard, Worthington, Minn.
    Hannah Strop, forward, New Prague, Minn.
    Megan Waytashek, guard/forward, Lino Lakes, Minn.

(I think I got everybody . . . )

Let's Go Rabbits!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Hot Stove 2010-11: Women's Basketball Edition

Predicted starters - Michelson,Rotert,Waytashek,Dietel and Sunnarborg. The area that concerns me most is post play - we can compete in the Summit with smaller posts,but to be able to play with teams like Oklahoma we need a bigger,bulkier post that is still mobile like the two that the Sooners have. On the really good teams,Maria and our other posts would probably be playing power forward. I think Waytashek provides a taller,more athletic wing which we need.

Comment

My starters:---------------- my 8 year old's starters
      Macie -------------------------Macie
      Eide -------------------------Rotert
      Rotert ----------------------Schuttloffel
      Dietel ---------------------Sunnarborg
      Sunnarborg ----------------Eide

We can both see Eide playing where Ketty played. Smart player and seems to get the loose balls and quick baskets on the drive.

One thing I will say is that Lingle likes to get physical and push people around and her developement over the Summer along with Dietel and the freshman make this team very deep.

Heiser (most would say was a better player than Eide in HS) took the redshirt which was a pleasant suprise and will be a nice player to have in the rotation.

Deep team and with great Senior leadership!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Over on the Oklahoma GDT, I think it was RabbitNation that suggested a thread for next year.

Since I'm pretty fired up about next year already I thought I'd put out a sticky thread for people to discuss the 2010-11 edition of Jackrabbit women's basketball.

Incoming freshmen, roles for the returning players, who'll be starters, who'll come off the bench, the schedule as it comes together, season predictions, and anything else that pertains will be fair game here.

For starters:
        2010 graduating seniors:
        Allison Anderson, guard (11 minutes per game, 0.8 points per game), Maria Boever, forward (28 mpg, 14.2 ppg),
        Ketty Cornemann, guard (27.6 mpg, 10.9 ppg).

Next year's roster:
        Macie Michelson, guard, senior
        Kristin Rotert, guard/forward, senior
        Jennifer Schuttloffel, forward, senior
        Vanessa Johnson, guard, junior
        Jennie Sunnarborg, forward, junior
        Jill Young, guard, junior
        Leah Dietel, forward, sophomore
        Ashley Eide, guard, sophomore
        Katie Lingle, center, sophomore
        Steph Paluch, guard, sophomore
        Tara Heiser, guard, RS freshman

Incoming freshmen:
        Gabrielle Boever, guard, Worthington, Minn.
        Hannah Strop, forward, New Prague, Minn.
        Megan Waytashek, guard/forward, Lino Lakes, Minn.

(I think I got everybody . . . )

Let's Go Rabbits!
        Is Tara a Point guard or a shooting guard? Allison was the prime #2 PG, and Jacks will need someone to spell Macie for 8-15 min per game. IIRC, Gabby is a PG. If anyone takes a redshirt, Gabby coming off her injury appears the most likely candidate to RS.

Regarding games, I would hope that the success of the Jacks set us up to take on teams that were in the play-off this year. I would like to see Jacks schedule USD, Creighton, a couple of play-off Big 12 and Big 10's. Some of the mid-Big East teams would be good. If Jacks could get a UConn early season, would that be good? I like how SDSU has scheduled the top teams of the other mid conferences. Need to win those games tho too. Hopefully, SDSU is getting a good enough reputation to continue to get the home and home like we have coming up with MTSU. Wouldn't mind seeing UALR on a h/h.

Jacks had almost the perfect schedule this year. I believe all OOC, except USD were playing post season this year. Jacks win more than lose OOC, should be a 25-50 RPI team at end of OOC (Jan 1, 11).

Comment

Another guess at starters:
          1 Michelson
          2 Young
          3 Rotert
          4 Dietel
          5 Sonnarburg
          Hopefully, Megan Waytashek will prove to be good enough to immediately push for playing time at the 4 or 5. Eide, a healed-up Johnson and maybe others will push for time at the 1 and 2. That leaves Schuttloffel, Lingle and maybe Strop to push for time inside. It will be a small-ish, guard-heavy team. Shooting and toughness, not speed or size, will be the main strengths.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Another guess at starters:
            1 Michelson
            2 Young
            3 Rotert
            4 Dietel
            5 Sonnarburg
            Hopefully, Megan Waytashek will prove to be good enough to immediately push for playing time at the 4 or 5. Eide, a healed-up Johnson and maybe others will push for time at the 1 and 2. That leaves Schuttloffel, Lingle and maybe Strop to push for time inside. It will be a small-ish, guard-heavy team. Shooting and toughness, not speed or size, will be the main strengths.
            The thing that concerns me about that line-up is starting two 5'6" -5'7" guards. It would work against a few teams,but we would have match-up problems with teams that have 6 ft. or taller guards. From what I have heard,Waytashek is mobile enough and a good enough shooter to play the 3,which would let Rotert play at 2.

Comment

starters
              Macie
              Rotert
              Edie
              Schut
              Sunn

Young 6th women again and Deitel off the bench right behind her, and the rest will be a crap shoot to know who will really step up. I see a lot of minutes being spread around again. I see us playing atleast 9 deep. strentgh will will shooting, weakness, inside depth. I see a team with sereral shooters and scorers, and several role players. we have a heavy guard line up, but they can all play and shoot and drive. Overall, a solid team with quality play from every class. should be exciting. I see it coming down to SDSU, ORU for first and Oakland edging NDSU for 3rd.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                The thing that concerns me about that line-up is starting two 5'6" -5'7" guards. It would work against a few teams,but we would have match-up problems with teams that have 6 ft. or taller guards. From what I have heard,Waytashek is mobile enough and a good enough shooter to play the 3,which would let Rotert play at 2.
                I think there could be as many as a dozen different starting lineups next season (AJ had 8 this past season, I think)

Comment

Does anyone think Waytashek will be Summit league newcommer of the year, like Jill her first yr and Kristin before her.With her being ranked in the top 100 girls in the country, she'll probably have a good shot, depending of course how good of a season she'll have.

Comment

Is there any chance that we play too tough of a schedule? I love that we do it, but when looking at some teams I couldn't tell if it makes sense to play tough teams, go around .500 in non conference, and then come tournament time maybe not get rewarded for it? I know in the men's bracket everyone covers the "resumes", but I wonder if it is the same way in the womens bracket. When looking at Liberty's nonconference schedule, I don't think it comes close to ours and yet they got a 13 seed. They lost to Kentucky (who they played in the 1st round again, which is weird for the NCAA tournament) Auburn, Virginia and James Madison and then beat up on a bunch of other non BCS teams and finished with a 27-5 record, whereas SDSU had some tough loses to tourny teams and even beat Gonzaga and Mid Tenn St. yet finished with a worse record. I feel that if comparing resumes, wouldn't it be obvious SDSU's in stronger?

I do feel that playing tougher competition, like the Jacks do, only makes them stronger and helps them, just wondering how much the committee studies the "resumes" of teams when it comes to auto bids for seeding.

Comment

The only way the Jacks make the NCAA tourney is to win the Summit tourney, which they've done the last two years by winning close games. Playing some tough regular season game helps them get ready for the league tourney and beyond.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

We need to play a tough non-conference schedule. I feel we don't have a choice. I am not saying we have to schedule UConn, Tennessee, and Stanford in the same season, but we need to strategically schedule BCS teams who are good teams. These games will help us come tournament time. And if we want to get out of the 14 seed position, we need to win more of those games. The Summit League is getting better but the bottom teams hurt our league standings with RPI and/or strength of schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          The only way the Jacks make the NCAA tourney is to win the Summit tourney, which they've done the last two years by winning close games. Playing some tough regular season game helps them get ready for the league tourney and beyond.
                          I disagree. Two years ago if we don't win the Summit we were a virtual lock for an at-large bid. It's much easier for a mid-major to get an at-large in the women's tournament than the men's.

Comment

Originally posted by astat32 View Post
                            Is there any chance that we play too tough of a schedule? I love that we do it, but when looking at some teams I couldn't tell if it makes sense to play tough teams, go around .500 in non conference, and then come tournament time maybe not get rewarded for it? I know in the men's bracket everyone covers the "resumes", but I wonder if it is the same way in the womens bracket. When looking at Liberty's nonconference schedule, I don't think it comes close to ours and yet they got a 13 seed. They lost to Kentucky (who they played in the 1st round again, which is weird for the NCAA tournament) Auburn, Virginia and James Madison and then beat up on a bunch of other non BCS teams and finished with a 27-5 record, whereas SDSU had some tough loses to tourny teams and even beat Gonzaga and Mid Tenn St. yet finished with a worse record. I feel that if comparing resumes, wouldn't it be obvious SDSU's in stronger?

I do feel that playing tougher competition, like the Jacks do, only makes them stronger and helps them, just wondering how much the committee studies the "resumes" of teams when it comes to auto bids for seeding.
                            The committee typically will take a tougher team than a weaker RPI scheduling team. The goal of the OOC is to be so good, that even if beat in the Summit title game, that you still get selected. If Jacks go with an OOC that are ALL POST-SEASON teams, and they're 6-4, for a 27-5 record, and those 3 or more of those OOC wins are vs top 50, they can make the NCAA, even if one bad game in the title match at Sioux Falls. Would they have been selected this year as an at large for the WNIT? Would have been borderline. Were Jacks underseeded for the NCAA's? By 1 at the worst. As Filbert had pegged, Jacks should have been a 13, but were needed at the 14 level. Maybe another season, that need would have been at the 12. Unless Jacks can get to Sweet 16 a time or two, they'll keep getting sent as a higher seed than expected.

IMHO, the Jacks will again be the top pick, although ORU might get it, as they return 4 of the 5 starters. Jacks will need to be on their game, every game, to win the Summit regular season title. More than one road loss in conference will be viewed very negatively. It will be nice when the Summit has two or more teams do so well in OOC, that losing on the home court of the other will be tolerated, and not exclude from NCAA. UALR and MTSU showed that this year. But more the domination of a conference, ala Gonzaga this year, will be how to return to a single digit seed.

Jacks have the parts in place or arriving, definitely has the coach to make a sweet 16 or elite 8 run. They need to come together quicker, and have NO lapses, on the team to be there though.

Comment

The sweep by ORU and loss to UMKC are what locked SDSU into #14. Not the losses to Virginia, etc.

And I don't think the schedule's too tough. This was an off year.

Frankly, when SDSU goes 27-5, they ought to earn a better seed than Liberty's #13.

Comment

Working...
                              X