Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rnd 1: Oklahoma GDT

68-57 final.

Oklahoma is a good team. Jacks were scrappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
      64-57 with 12 seconds left. Looks like that will do it. Played good, but turnovers killed them along with too many points in the paint for Oklahoma. Fought hard and hung around all game. Just didn't have enough.
      we missed so many chippers, too. that was HUGE.. I can think of 6 that we missed and I bet there were more

Comment

Well it was a decent showing in the long stretch.. we can talk about what made the difference here like we always do.. but what's the point. We all know what (more than one thing) made the difference. Good game ladies. let's leave it at that. The seinors will be missed no doubt. Like any packer fan "there's always next year."

Comment

I think the difference was the first ten minutes or so. SDSU had to adjust to the quicker and more athletic Oklahoma team (vs. the teams especially in the Summit that we're used to playing). That hurt us quite a bit, I thought. After we adjusted we played them pretty well.

Still too many turnovers, especially unforced TO's.

We're in a good place though, and we'll be right there again next year (knock on wood).
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I do like how Trey Wingo was trying to make up for last year... Thanks Trey

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
              we missed so many chippers, too. that was HUGE.. I can think of 6 that we missed and I bet there were more
              And most of them were missed badly - there had to be at least a half-dozen that didn't even draw iron.

Comment

We competed well, but turnovers (especially unforced) killed us like it has all year. Also missing bunnies, which killed us in many game this year as well. We were physically disadvantaged in certain area's of the game, but those deficiencies can easily be overcome if we just play smarter.

The girls will get better because of this experience, as they know what they need to do to make it to the next level and I'm sure there will be plenty of emphasis on this in the off season workouts.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Agree about Wingo and announcers being less ignorant about team than last year.

Not enough talent to handle OU on most nights but they gave it one hell of a try. Can't complain about the game at all. Little more strength inside, a bit more speed and who knows?

Comment

Cold comfort, but teams that did not do as well in Norman as the Jacks did:

66-106 Mercer
                    67-100 Texas-Arlington
                    76-95 Cal State Fullerton
                    58-73 Texas Tech
                    69-81 Kansas
                    57-75 Texas (#23 at the time)
                    62-95 Oklahoma State (#20 at the time)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

When AJ switched to the zone OU really struggled to get into a rhythm offensively and we got it down to 6 or 7 I believe. Been interesting to see what would have happened had they went with the zone earlier. I don't think OU would have out shot the Jacks.

Agreed with the statement about missing bunnies....had to been 6-8 layups minimum they missed. Would have made things way more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        When AJ switched to the zone OU really struggled to get into a rhythm offensively and we got it down to 6 or 7 I believe. Been interesting to see what would have happened had they went with the zone earlier. I don't think OU would have out shot the Jacks.

Agreed with the statement about missing bunnies....had to been 6-8 layups minimum they missed. Would have made things way more interesting.
                        If the Jacks would have played zone in the first half, OU would have made changes at halftime. Good idea to make that change in the second half.

But I'm gonna have to agree with Kemo on his post. The unforced turnovers killed us. I'm fine with OU playing good defense and getting a steal, but poor dribbling and lazy passes were killing me. Need better play from some juniors (out of control and poor defense). OU didn't turn the ball over enough to offset ours. Still a good year for the Jacks.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          I do like how Trey Wingo was trying to make up for last year... Thanks Trey
                          yea, thanks Trey.....probably because all his co-workers were rolling around laughing on the floor at all the mis-pronounced names we called him last year,....i know i was,

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                            If the Jacks would have played zone in the first half, OU would have made changes at halftime. Good idea to make that change in the second half.

But I'm gonna have to agree with Kemo on his post. The unforced turnovers killed us. I'm fine with OU playing good defense and getting a steal, but poor dribbling and lazy passes were killing me. Need better play from some juniors (out of control and poor defense). OU didn't turn the ball over enough to offset ours. Still a good year for the Jacks.
                            They had only five fewer turnovers than us and five more points off turnovers. I know it seemed that we turned the ball over a ton and that they outscored us big time off turnovers but that was simply not the case.

Where OU did kill us was points in the paint. At halftime there was 30-8 OU advantage on points scored in the paint which was largely due to the fact that they penetrated at will and got it to their bigs in good positions.

When we went zone they were not able to get it into the lane as easily. In the second half points in the paint were even at 12-12. Not sure when exactly we went to the zone, but it seemed it was around the 10 minute mark.

Also, I can't recall AJ ever using a zone. Can anyone else?

Comment

They were a little to athletic for us. Faster/quicker, stronger, better leaping ability, longer arms. We played too passively on defense in the 2nd half, hence the low foul total. At the 10 minute mark I was asking for our women to get after the ball, take a risk on getting a foul. We really couldn't do that on the perimeter but every time the ball entered the post or someone got past one of our defenders we needed to reach or grab and try to get a turnover.

When you've been down the whole game and are trying to get back in you have to get more aggressive on D than we did. On the offensive side, they did a nice job of closing out on our shooters in the 2nd half. They were so much longer than us that we couldn't find shots outside the arc in the 2nd half.

Robinson uses a high dribble and takes about 4 steps before she dribbles again. At least it looked that way live. She only got called for it once, I think its a violation. She is very quick and handles well, decent shooter also.

Our girls seemed ready, game plan was okay but I think we could have done a little more in that 2nd half, especially the last 10 minutes from a coaching perspective to help us complete the rally. I don't mean to be critical, the switch to zone seemed to help but it seemed we just didn't have the strategy to overcome their advantages.

They killed us on the offensive glass and in the paint. I think we were outscored by close to 30 points on the paint. You can't win many games where that happens. However, a few more threes in the 2nd half and its even tighter.

Great fun, I'll make the trip next year as well. Thanks for a great season Jackrabbits and best of luck to the seniors, they have been great and will be missed.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://www.ncaa.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos...OklaSDSUQuotes

Postgame quotes here..

Comment

Working...
                                X