Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gdt--wiu

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    I think the fact that AJ has has so much success with recruiting in South Dakota, Wisconsin, and non-metro Minnesota area is the largest contributor to the make-up of the team.

Now, if he feels that he needs to take a foray into the Metro Cities area or outside his "recruiting radius" then we will see changes. But, I am always apart of the group that says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    I know most of the commitments have been made, but Shaunteva Ashley would look good on the Jacks team. Who's recruiting her? Is she D-1 material? Women's basketball is a bit like men's basketball in the 1950's, less athleticism but more interesting play making. I think you can have a very successful white women's team, but you'll never get to the higest levels if you do the same thing in men's play today (you can win twenty games a year if you're really deep).

Putting things back into historical perspective, it's a bit like the all white SEC teams (football and basketball) of the sixties that got their out of conference clocks cleaned until they got smart in recruiting. Obviously there's more talented black kids hanging around Canton, Mississippi than Canton, South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      I know most of the commitments have been made, but Shaunteva Ashley would look good on the Jacks team. Who's recruiting her? Is she D-1 material? Women's basketball is a bit like men's basketball in the 1950's, less athleticism but more interesting play making. I think you can have a very successful white women's team, but you'll never get to the higest levels if you do the same thing in men's play today (you can win twenty games a year if you're really deep).

Putting things back into historical perspective, it's a bit like the all white SEC teams (football and basketball) of the sixties that got their out of conference clocks cleaned until they got smart in recruiting. Obviously there's more talented black kids hanging around Canton, Mississippi than Canton, South Dakota.

Isn't this reverse racism? I'm slightly offended by your comments. We need to recruit the best players available...whatever their color.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        Isn't this reverse racism? I'm slightly offended by your comments. We need to recruit the best players available...whatever their color.
        I dont think Grizzled is trying to be offensive so much as just making general comments about the past. I do agree we need to recruit the best available and we are. Diversity has its advantages, but we dont have to go from BYU to UConn in racial make up of our WBB over night just for diversity sake and I dont think anyone is thinking along that line. If we were incontention for recruiting a UConn prospect, we would probably have one fine player. I mentioned the Diversity office because until Peggy Miller became president, there was no such animal on the campus of SDSU. To me that is progress. When you consider the projection of 2052 where they estimate that white non hispanic will no longer be the largest demographic group in the US, then we need to adjust to that change as well. Coaches live and die by their recruiting choices so thats what really counts. All is well.

Comment

These comments have gotten ridiculous. The racism invoked by these comments is very much in line with the "big black buck" thinking that should be rejected outright. They are no different than the comments made by the individual on the ORU board, which we were all quick to condemn.

We need great players that will make a great team, their race is irrelevant.

We need great players that will make a great team, whether they hail from metro areas or rural areas is irrelevant.

We need great players that will make a great team.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            These comments have gotten ridiculous. The racism invoked by these comments is very much in line with the "big black buck" thinking that should be rejected outright. They are no different than the comments made by the individual on the ORU board, which we were all quick to condemn.

We need great players that will make a great team, whether they hail from metro areas or rural areas is irrelevant.

I agree. The only reason that I brought up recruiting is that the areas that the team seem to draw from in the area aren't what I would call diverse.

If a gal can shoot, defend, and be a great teammate She could be clear for all I care...

I just think that the coaches and athletic department get a bad rap on this whole issue.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Gotta keep in mind it can be very hard to recruit big city kids when your campus is located in Brookings, SD.

Comment

Where did I make racist comments? I resent being grouped with OLD TITAN of ORU.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 03-02-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Nidaros and I both remember sixties Brookings. I'm sure that things have changed greatly since that time.

Getting the typical inner city kid to be comfortable in Brookings might be a challenge. Diversity does have its advantages, however, and should not be ignored. I think keeping those recruiting doors open will produce a better team.

Installing a time clock may have changed things, but my few looks at South Dakota high school basketball available on the web (especially the larger schools), didn't exactly show me much of an uptempo game. If you think trying to broaden the horizon a bit in recruiting is reverse racism-- let's just say we disagree on that one.

The game is played at a faster clip in other areas of the country. Again, many of these comments apply to men's, not women's basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Where did I make racist comments? I resent being grouped with OLD TITAN of ORU.
                    I wasn't referring to your comments.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I wasn't referring to your comments.
                      Fair enough sorry I challenged you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Fair enough sorry I challenged you.
                        Not a problem at all.

Comment

The game is played at a faster clip in other areas of the country. Again, many of these comments apply to men's, not women's basketball.
                          The last post puzzles me GJ, as we are in a women's basketball thread and are discussing a black female athlete, and I think most of your posts have been off the mark. As for the men, we have three black athletes on the basketball team and as said elsewhere, we don't live in a real diverse part of the country.

I say the remarks have been off the mark...because our women run an uptempo game. And they play against a number of teams in the Summit League who are almost all black, and hold their own. There is a huge difference between the men's situation and women's basketball. That may change in coming years, but right now the athletes we have available, white or not, are as talented as the competition we face in the league.

If Ashley is GOOD enough to play at SDSU (and she may be), I believe AJ would recruit her (regardless of color) if it fit in the needs he sees for the team. Otherwise, I am sure that if she is good enough to play for us, she will have a lot of offers to consider, and I wish her the best. And for the record, I was around in the 50's and no doubt the only minorities around here were the Norwegians (I'm one of them)!

Comment

"I was around in the 50's and no doubt the only minorities around here were the Norwegians (I'm one of them)!"

My apologies for mixing comments on men's and women's basketball. They are very different games. I am a Swede raised among Norwegians in Woonsocket-- that WAS being a minority.

Comment

"I was around in the 50's and no doubt the only minorities around here were the Norwegians (I'm one of them)!"

My apologies for mixing comments on men's and women's basketball. They are very different games. I am a Swede raised among Norwegians in Woonsocket-- that WAS being a minority.

My Swedish grandpa married a Norwegian so I guess I am mixed country person, does that make me even more of a minority? insert smiley face here

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                                My Swedish grandpa married a Norwegian so I guess I am mixed country person, does that make me even more of a minority? insert smiley face here
                                If you are still around in 2052, you will most likely be a minority even if you got the best English blue blood in your veins. This is the date demographic folks are saying that the category of non-Hispanic whites will no longer be a majority in terms of demographics in the population of the USA. I am betting I will not be around and if I am, I will be 111 years young.

Comment

Working...
                                X