WNIT expanded to 64 teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WNIT expanded to 64 teams

I had forgotten that the WNIT will include 64 teams this year. I think this gives us a reasonable shot to make it even if we don't finish as the highest team in the conference not in the NCAA tourney. All that considered, I expect SDSU to win the Summit League tourney and that I'll be making another trip to watch them.

From TV's blog today:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

The Jacks would earn an automatic bid to the WNIT by being the highest finishing team in the Summit not to go to the NCAAs. Plus, the WNIT has expanded its field to 64 teams this year, making room for 33 at-large bids. SDSU has again received correspondence from the event to indicate it is being considered.
    "I don't think we're on the outside looking in, but I feel like we need to win some more games to solidify a spot," Johnston said. "We're not going to get into the top 50, but we can still pick up another 20, 30 spots in RPI pretty easy. Some of the teams we'll have to beat down the stretch are decent teams and could help us. If we don't, we might be on that bubble of getting in."

Although not 32-3 like last year, the Jacks are 2-2 against the top 50. The rest of the teams in the Summit are a combined 0-12 in those matchups.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: WNIT expanded to 64 teams

The WNIT takes the BEST REGULAR season team, as identified by the conference, who does not go dancing.

Therefore, there is one scenario were SDSU doesn't go either to the NCAA's or the WNIT. That scenario is Jacks finish #2 (likely to ORU) (or #3 or #4, if swept this weekend). The #1 seed loses in round 1 or 2, then Jacks wouldn't be the "best" team, and that team (ORU) gets the "auto" WNIT bid. Jacks have the kind of resume that may lead to a WNIT "at-large" bid, and certainly WNIT knows that we get decent crowds for games, so there is strong hope to make the WNIT if don't win the tourney. Best way to quit worrying is to win out.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      The WNIT takes the BEST REGULAR season team, as identified by the conference, who does not go dancing.

Therefore, there is one scenario were SDSU doesn't go either to the NCAA's or the WNIT. That scenario is Jacks finish #2 (likely to ORU) (or #3 or #4, if swept this weekend). The #1 seed loses in round 1 or 2, then Jacks wouldn't be the "best" team, and that team (ORU) gets the "auto" WNIT bid. Jacks have the kind of resume that may lead to a WNIT "at-large" bid, and certainly WNIT knows that we get decent crowds for games, so there is strong hope to make the WNIT if don't win the tourney. Best way to quit worrying is to win out.
      Exactly. The point I was making, the only point, as I well understand the scenario for the auto-bid to the WNIT, is that SDSU may still get an invite to the WNIT even if we aren't the team that finishes with the best REGULAR SEASON record. Our previous performances in the WNIT and NCAA tourney as well as the support demonstrated by our fan base will be tough for the WNIT to ignore.

So, if both SDSU and ORU get upset in the tourney and ORU remains in first place in the league standings, SDSU might still get an "at large" invite to the WNIT. Is that an important thing? I think it is.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If the number one seed loses in rd1 or rd2, then it'll probably be SDSU that goes dancing anyway,could happen differently,but not likely.I'd really like to see us knock off ORU ourselves though.

Comment

If as TV/AJ said, we finish strong and win a few games in the tourney, we are likely to be invited to the WNIT.

The bigger question is how do SDSU fans respond? Similar atmosphere as the past WNIT games or a bit of a let down due to a disappointment of missing the Dance and already attending the Summit tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
            If as TV/AJ said, we finish strong and win a few games in the tourney, we are likely to be invited to the WNIT.

The bigger question is how do SDSU fans respond? Similar atmosphere as the past WNIT games or a bit of a let down due to a disappointment of missing the Dance and already attending the Summit tourney.
            Personally, I believe that if we had a long, successful history of making the final 64, it would be a little more disconcerting to miss and be invited instead to the WNIT. But I don't think that is the case now and I think if we missed out in the tournament, and hosted a WNIT game, much like when we hosted Indiana, that we would get a very good turnout. In fact, one of the pluses for us under these circumstances, is that we have an opportunity to host the game(s). So instead of a couple hundred making the trip to Lubbock, I think we would see a very good turnout in Frost.

Comment

64 teams in the WNIT? what is this world coming to.

Comment

Originally posted by are you serious View Post
                64 teams in the WNIT? what is this world coming to.
                One that's more appreciative of women's sports.

To answer your signature line...I believe the Jacks Women have owned NDSU the last 10 games so I will go with that one.

Comment

Working...
                X