Defending the pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Defending the pick

Basketball ,as well as talent, the mental aspect plays an important part.So, I'd tell players, if you think you can win then do it,don't let people talk you into losing , because you can't do this or that...blah, blah, blah.Sometimes there's entirely too much "coaching " from fans like myself that, though , well intentioned, might have a negative affect on the team.I know our team can beat ORU this year, so do it.(but first take care of IPFW & Oaland this week end )
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM.

Comment

o.k., i'm weak....one last time at playing "coach".The next time we play ORU, the thing we need to do , IMO, is to shut down one of the two things they do against us,score inside by driving or dishing off, or #2, shutting down the outside.Since shutting down the outside would likely invite drives to the hoop & dish off for easy buckets ,i'd scratch that one off,since we have a hard time preventing penetration anyway.No team,no matter how good of shooting from the perimeter they are, is going to beat someone entirely from the outside.If we shut down the inside with our bigs , who block shots, & dominate the rebounding, they get one shot ,hit or miss. We're way to afraid of thier outside shot, they don't score that much with it, but they use the threat to really damage us with the drives & dish offs.We shut down the easy baskets underneath & make them earn each & every point they make & we win.(with normal turnovers around or less than 14 or so)Am I right or wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        o.k., i'm weak....one last time at playing "coach".The next time we play ORU, the thing we need to do , IMO, is to shut down one of the two things they do against us,score inside by driving or dishing off, or #2, shutting down the outside.Since shutting down the outside would likely invite drives to the hoop & dish off for easy buckets ,i'd scratch that one off,since we have a hard time preventing penetration anyway.No team,no matter how good of shooting from the perimeter they are, is going to beat someone entirely from the outside.If we shut down the inside with our bigs , who block shots, & dominate the rebounding, they get one shot ,hit or miss. We're way to afraid of thier outside shot, they don't score that much with it, but they use the threat to really damage us with the drives & dish offs.We shut down the easy baskets underneath & make them earn each & every point they make & we win.(with normal turnovers around or less than 14 or so)Am I right or wrong?
        When AJ was asked yesterday at SF Staters what he thought about ORU and why they seem to play so well against us, the only thing he really had to say was...TURNOVERS. Limit the turnovers by 50% and we win.

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

That's a lot simpler,i like it!

Comment

numbers to chew on:

1st game:

Luper 7-17 from field, 2-5 from 3, 4-4 from line 40 min
            Bingham 13-17 from Field 6-7 from 3, 2-2 from line 34 min

total: 20-34 field 6-12 from 3 6-6 from line 74 minutes

2nd game:

Luper: 10-23 from field 0-2 from 3 10-11 from line 37 min
            Bingham: 7-16 from field 1-6 from 3 4-6 from line 35 min

total: 23-39 from field 1-8 from 3 14-17 from line 72 min

Observations from afar: two totally differnt games with 10 pt loses!

1st game seemed they drove alot and had easy shots but they were 8-12 from 3 and only were at the line 6 times.

2nd game: 1-8 from 3 and drvoe alot and were fouled with 14-17 from line.

They had as many turnovers as we did and still got of 20 more shots the 2nd game and 15 roughly the first game.

How to beat them, is to lay off and not play the tight in your face defense and that way it takes away the picks up top since it is packed in, but yet extended enough to cover the 3 pointer. Almost like a hidden 1-3-1 zone, defend the ball and give up the lanes to rotate it.

i am sure AJ will change the defense for the tournament if we play them. he tried it the same way twice and they were 20 pt games, will not happen a 3rd time, not saying we will win but the defense will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
              i am sure AJ will change the defense for the tournament if we play them. he tried it the same way twice and they were 20 pt games, will not happen a 3rd time, not saying we will win but the defense will be different.
              I agree. Our defense will be different, maybe very different. I think the defense was intentionally the same style in our 2nd meeting, knowing that the only game that really counts is the one in SF--no need to show your hand too soon.....that being said, if another team would like to knock off ORU, I'm fine with that
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I don't think defense was our problem against ORU. I think the 55 turnovers in two games was more of our problem. We turn it over 50% as much and they don't have so many transition baskets and its a whole different ballgame.

Comment

Are we starting to over-analyze this thing a smidge. If they are going to beat ORU in SF then they need to improve in a number of areas. I'm confident they will get it done.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I don't think defense was our problem against ORU. I think the 55 turnovers in two games was more of our problem. We turn it over 50% as much and they don't have so many transition baskets and its a whole different ballgame.
                    Did you watch these two games? You assume that the turnovers led to transition baskets. (Not the case) We could not defend them on the perimeter at all and they got to the basket the 2nd game and were fouled alot 14-17 FT from two players! First game we cut them off and they kicked it out and the two main players were 8-12 from 3!

This is not beating a dead horse, all I suggested and Jacks1 said was that AJ played the same defense the first two times to not show his hand and that when the tourney rolls around, changes on the defensive end will be made!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                      Did you watch these two games? You assume that the turnovers led to transition baskets. (Not the case) We could not defend them on the perimeter at all and they got to the basket the 2nd game and were fouled alot 14-17 FT from two players! First game we cut them off and they kicked it out and the two main players were 8-12 from 3!

This is not beating a dead horse, all I suggested and Jacks1 said was that AJ played the same defense the first two times to not show his hand and that when the tourney rolls around, changes on the defensive end will be made!
                      So you're gonna try to tell me that they didn't get any transition points off of our 33 turnovers in Tulsa?

Comment

Been reading another forum, & it was mentioned that a good ball stealer goes at the ball with the palms up rather than a much more noticeable ( to the ref's) slapping down motion.The same person said he alway's coached player's to aggressively go for the ball rather than waiting for it to touch thier hands ,in pass catching, rebound grabbing, and ceating a jump ball situation.There's lots of little techniques that can help in player development, besides going over the X's & O's.Maybe that's why some players get lots of steals without the typical Summit league ref mentality of "i assume they must of hit the players hand" type of perception, based on assumptions rather than actually seeing, in thier defense though, if they don't call a foul, the fans assume it was & he gets booed anyway.Don't envy ref's ,danged if you do,danged if you don't.Just a thought.Hate to obsess on ORU again, but they take advantage of this team's achilles heel....turnovers.Just think we can go into the next game with them & better prepare ourselves for what they try to do...steal the ball or create enough pressure to cause us to start committing turnovers.Seems like once we get rattled ,it's like opening the flood gates.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-22-2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X