respect or lack of it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• respect or lack of it...

honestly people slay me, SDSU has played a top-tier schedule to start the season, yes we have lost four games, but the smack talk from other teams just slays me...

I just went over to the MTSU board just to see what they were saying and the only comments I could find were basically smack against us... in the chat on Bracketology there is smack from an Oral Roberts fan... it just is ridiculous.

We have not for the most part played great ball yet, but, until you can beat us... shut up and go home. OR you will have your chance on Jan 4. You have a fabulous Freshman, but you know what... we have three, not to mention, you still have to beat the TEAM of SDSU...

I forsee this team getting better and better, they will find their identity and they will be, by the end of the season a top 15 team in the country even if not ranked...

Sorry, will get off my soap box now... the lack of respect just burned me.

Re: respect or lack of it...

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
    ... in the chat on Bracketology there is smack from an Oral Roberts fan... it just is ridiculous.
    Where do you see this? on their board?

Comment

in the conversation on the bracketology on espn

Comment

They think SDSU's a one-hit wonder, while they go on and on about the performance of their freshman?

If they're incapable of seeing the fundamental flaw in their position, then there's no point in debating them.

The women will put the smack talk to rest.

Comment

If a person outside the program just looks at the numbers, they could get the impression that SDSU is not as good this year. It is hard to judge any team based on the small sample amount so far this year.

That being said, I have a hard time getting overly excited by some random fan on another team's message board. Kudos to them for believing in their program.

We got alot of respect last year, but that was last year. IMO, a team has to go out every single year and prove themselves again.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            They think SDSU's a one-hit wonder, while they go on and on about the performance of their freshman?

If they're incapable of seeing the fundamental flaw in their position, then there's no point in debating them.

The women will put the smack talk to rest.

Oh-oh. Now ORU's gone and done it. Just guaranteed themselves a couple of good beat downs.

Comment

In ORU's defense...their freshman is pretty darn good.

I don't think that there is a team out there that doesn't respect the Jacks. After the last two or three years the Jacks have become a nationally known program.

Comment

I recall reading on this board last year during the Summit League tourney, someone overheard a group of WBB players from another school talking in the concourse about how SDSU wouldn't be any good "without that #10". Also recall last year's (and this year's) preseason all-league first teams were pretty short on Jackrabbits.

There is a perception in the league that our success is the result of a "system" and not the result of having good players.

So there's plenty of disrespect out there, certainly within the Summit League, for the Jackrabbits. Odd, since we've lost a grand total of three conference games in two years.

As for ORU, teams (and fans, I suppose) take on the personality of their coaches. And ORU's coach has never been very effusive in his praise of any opponent that defeats them.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  There is a perception in the league that our success is the result of a "system" and not the result of having good players.

So there's plenty of disrespect out there, certainly within the Summit League, for the Jackrabbits. Odd, since we've lost a grand total of three conference games in two years.
                  Personally I think that the success of the program is a direct result of both a "system" and good players. The two, in SDSU's case, are not mutually exclusive.

You can have one or two really good players on a team, but if you don't have the structure around those players then the team is doomed. I think that if a team like ORU doesn't develop a team around their outstanding freshman they will struggle. A person could make this same argument for MTSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    Personally I think that the success of the program is a direct result of both a "system" and good players. The two, in SDSU's case, are not mutually exclusive.

By "system," do you mean, "coaching?"

Never quite figured out what this "system" thing is. Does it mean recruiting good athletes with good character and coaching them up? If so, that's not unique to successful programs and, one would guess, most good coaches' aspirations.

Or does it mean running the same x and o's year-in-year-out, no matter your personnel? If that is the case, "system" is why the Washington Redskins, with a throw-it-down-the-field quarterback and big receivers, are 4-9 in a West Coast offense.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      By "system," do you mean, "coaching?"

Never quite figured out what this "system" thing is. Does it mean recruiting good athletes with good character and coaching them up? If so, that's not unique to successful programs and, one would guess, most good coaches' aspirations.

Or does it mean running the same x and o's year-in-year-out, no matter your personnel? If that is the case, "system" is why the Washington Redskins, with a throw-it-down-the-field quarterback and big receivers, are 4-9 in a West Coast offense.
                      I think that "system" encompasses the entire women's program. AJ has a "system" to his recruiting in that he goes after a certain type of player. There is a "system" to how they approach practice day in and day out. And, of course, there is a "system" at game time with the deep bench.

A team can try to copy the system that AJ has incorportated, but if you don't have good players it won't work.

Comment

I could care less what some fan in Tulsa or anywhere else thinks of the SDSU women's bb program. We know what we have and next spring we our ladies will show what they are made of. Just think winter will be behind us nor nearly behind us when the Summit starts next March.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          I think that "system" encompasses the entire women's program. AJ has a "system" to his recruiting in that he goes after a certain type of player. There is a "system" to how they approach practice day in and day out. And, of course, there is a "system" at game time with the deep bench.

A team can try to copy the system that AJ has incorportated, but if you don't have good players it won't work.
                          I agree with this. But remember, the "system" is different this year with Laurie Melum no longer on the sidelines.

I doubt the lack of respect comes from people knowing she's no longer there (most probably don't even know the change has taken place). The lack of respect comes from being a newer DI program that had a great run last season and hasn't proven yet that it can be duplicated. Once duplicated a couple of times respect will be earned.
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                            I agree with this. But remember, the "system" is different this year with Laurie Melum no longer on the sidelines.

I doubt the lack of respect comes from people knowing she's no longer there (most probably don't even know the change has taken place). The lack of respect comes from being a newer DI program that had a great run last season and hasn't proven yet that it can be duplicated. Once duplicated a couple of times respect will be earned.
                            I agree on the repetition aspect. The women need to make the post season (Big Dance. NIT doesn't have the same impact) on a regular basis and then we will see the respect come our way. Perhaps last year was too easy for them. I dont think that anyone honestly expected the record that they ended the season with.

Comment

The Men's team have taken a lot of heat and rightfully so. The women have raised the bar for themselves over the last couple years and are not playing to the level of expectations the program has created. I know we have lost key players before, but last years senior class really knew how to play within the roles defined for them. The upperclassman this year have not been consistent and Aaron has pointed that out on more than one occasion. I think they deserve to be called out just like the men have unless there is a double standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X