What if the board goes down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if the board goes down?

In answer to the question "What is Filbert going to do if the board crashes due to the traffic when the Jacks travel to play Wyoming?"

Well . . . install a whole new bulletin board system, that's what!

As many of you know, our forum crashed the Monday night when the WNIT brackets were announced. This crash was similar to the crash the Bisonville forum experienced. Actually, it wasn't a crash at all. What happened was our hosting provider simply shut off the forum software because it was taking too many server resources. This is a problem with the kind of board we're currently running. After Bisonville went down, I began looking at options, and when we hit the wall ourselves the night of the WNIT announcement, I knew I should do something sooner rather than later.

So, I've created a new SDSUFans.com Forum (call it SDSUFans.com Forum 2.0 if you must). It's at:

http://www.sdsufans.com/forum/index.php

If you've got a few minutes, please go over and take a look . . . get a new userid over there if you want. It's the Future of the SDSUFans.com Forum.

I'm not going to bother trying to migrate this board to the new software (because of my relative lack of PHP and SQL programming chops). So your user id here on this YaBB forum software, and all the posts made here, won't be copied over to the other side of the system.

But don't panic, the current board won't go away immediately. (Well, unless my friendly hosting provider tells me it's gotta go, that is.) I'm planning to shut off posting and new users some time in May, after the school year is over. From then on, we'll be on the new board software.

For now (because of some irritatingly persistent Russian spammers) I have user moderation turned on for the new site. This just means I have to manually approve user memberships over there. Once I've got the spammer filters tuned over there, I'll turn on the automatic userid creation stuff and we'll be cookin' with gas.

I think the Jackrabbit Nation will like the new board. I hope so.

As you may be aware, providing this board is pretty much a labor of love. If you've a mind to, jump on over to the SDSUFans.com Store and buy a t-shirt or something.

Thanks, and Go Rabbits!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: What if the board goes down?

FYI: There are a bunch of YaBB to GeekLog import scripts here:

http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/index.php?id=365

Don't blame you for doing a fresh start, though.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
      FYI: There are a bunch of YaBB to GeekLog import scripts here:

http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/index.php?id=365

Don't blame you for doing a fresh start, though.
      Yah, I tried them. They didn't work for me, and I'm not PHP-literate enough (or have sufficient patience) to do the debugging I'd need to do to get them to work. (Of course, all it probably was was a path or a permissions problem, but *shrug*).
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I've got a mug and a bumper sticker, I'll get my kids some stuff soon. Thanks for setting up the new forum.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sure, make the switch when I'm on the verge of earning a "Masters in Rabbitology." I'll never get there on the new board.

Comment

Working...
          X