New assistant position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New assistant position

I don't know if Megan applied or not. I think she would have been great, but there's also the "Vogel" factor, the notion that she is such a huge presence in SDSU lore that she kind of overshadows the current players. During the Summit tourney, the "Megan Vogel" chants could still be heard this year.

Again, I think Megan would have been great, and I hope she ends up back at SDSU at some point. But I don't think I'd bet against AJ's judgment.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Megan would be a great ambassador for SDSU, but let's face it, she has no coaching experience other than her tenure as a grad assistant.

Meanwhile, Oletzke was a 4 year assistant at Southwest State (possibly giving him good contacts in a prime recruiting area in Minnosota) and was an award winning head coach in his last position prior to SDSU.

I believe in loyalty, but I also believe in choosing the most qualified person for the position, and it appears that was the case here. I trust AJ's judgement in the process.

Comment

I personally applaud AJ for going outside of the SDSU family for this hire. New blood always brings something new to a program. Doesn't always work out, but worth a shot if you trust the head coach's judgement, which I would hope we all do.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I think Megan will go gain some coaching experience somewhere else and then return to SDSU at some point.

Comment

Megan Vogel did apply for the job.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I know Megan applied, and I know she would have liked to get the job. She is also going to get a coaching job somewhere, as she is done playing professionally.

I think it was a case of AJ having to go with his head, and not his heart. The program has needed that third assistant for sometime, and the person coming in will plunge right into full status as a recruiter and assistant coach. As AJ said, on Terry's live blog this week, the thing he liked about his new assistant was EXPERIENCE (as noted in the comments above).

When Megan gets some experience, and she will get a coaching job somewhere, she will make an attractive candidate for an assistant D-I coach for many programs, including SDSU...but the timing wasn't right, and I believe Megan knows that as well.

Comment

AJ's choice plain and simple. He has the final say who he wants to play for him and he has the final say regarding who he wants on his coaching staff. At least that is the way I hope it is.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                  With all due respect, the university owes Megan Vogel nothing. The university provided her a scholarship, a great venue to display her talents, and a terrific fan base to play in front of. I'm glad she came here. That said, she got as much out of the athletic program as the athletic program got out of her ... a win/win.
                  I am with Cowbell on this one. I think picking the people who will work closely with you are very important decisions to make. I noted AJ comment about the new one hired having experience as a head coach. It was a priority in the decision. Megan was a great athlete and role model, but her playing days and graduate assistant program are over and Megan has to look out for Megan and no one else. Never should any hiring of staff be a fan support contest. Our opinions in this area count very little.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Never should any hiring of staff be a fan support contest. Our opinions in this area count very little.
                    Amen to that!
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                    X