Camping Jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Jacks

Just got back to a computer after two weeks at Lewis and Clark Recreation Area in Yankton and can post this now.

On Friday June 26th as we pulled into our campsite my wife commented to me as to my luck at having a volleyball team camping across from us. After backing into our space I looked over and saw that it was the entire SDSU Women's Basketball team. They were setting up tents and getting ready to hit the beach. Of course I went over and introduced myself and family as their Michigan supporters. Later at HyVee we ran into them again and Allison Anderson came over and chatted with us.

Back at camp that night the team had a Scavenger Hunt and some of the team came over and asked us for a carrot. We didn't have a carrot but cut up a cheese puff and the girls posed for a picture with the cheese puff which looked like a carrot in the picture. Yah we cheated so what.

After the Scavenger Hunt the ladies came to all the campsites with kids in the campsite loop and asked the parents if the kids could play baseball with them. Teams were chosen, cheers were led, parents lined up chairs to watch and everyone had a good time. The girls made sure all the kids got a hit and the kids loved it.

Later when a severe storm came through the girls were all offered the safety of our campers just in case. The next day the team hit the beach and some boats and then were back off to State.

I don't know how many teams when given two days off would do what the Jacks did. Stay together and go camping instead of heading off home to be with family and friends. This says something to me. What a display of togetherness and friendship building and making themselves a family.

That weekend they made themselves some fans with no ties to State or the State of South Dakota. They made an impression with a lot of people and put forth a positive experience that should make us even more proud of this team and what they do for SDSU and the State of South Dakota.

Also while in South Dakota we made a trip up to Brookings and toured SDSU, saw a couple of the women and they recalled us from that weekend and stopped and said hi. And the Nicks Burgers were great.
    Last edited by SturgisJeff; 07-10-2009, 08:23 PM.

Re: Camping Jacks

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
    Just got back to a computer after two weeks at Lewis and Clark Recreation Area in Yankton and can post this now.

On Friday June 26th as we pulled into our campsite my wife commented to me as to my luck at having a volleyball team camping across from us. After backing into our space I looked over and saw that it was the entire SDSU Women's Basketball team. They were setting up tents and getting ready to hit the beach. Of course I went over and introduced myself and family as their Michigan supporters. Later at HyVee we ran into them again and Allison Anderson came over and chatted with us.

Back at camp that night the team had a Scavenger Hunt and some of the team came over and asked us for a carrot. We didn't have a carrot but cut up a cheese puff and the girls posed for a picture with the cheese puff which looked like a carrot in the picture. Yah we cheated so what.

After the Scavenger Hunt the ladies came to all the campsites with kids in the campsite loop and asked the parents if the kids could play baseball with them. Teams were chosen, cheers were led, parents lined up chairs to watch and everyone had a good time. The girls made sure all the kids got a hit and the kids loved it.

Later when a severe storm came through the girls were all offered the safety of our campers just in case. The next day the team hit the beach and some boats and then were back off to State.

I don't know how many teams when given two days off would do what the Jacks did. Stay together and go camping instead of heading off home to be with family and friends. This says something to me. What a display of togetherness and friendship building and making themselves a family.

That weekend they made themselves some fans with no ties to State or the State of South Dakota. They made an impression with a lot of people and put forth a positive experience that should make us even more proud of this team and what they do for SDSU and the State of South Dakota.

Also while in South Dakota we made a trip up to Brookings and toured SDSU, saw a couple of the women and they recalled us from that weekend and stopped and said hi. And the Nicks Burgers were great.

great post, Sturgis. Reps coming.

Comment

Jeff, I'm not seeing any images. Can anyone else see them?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
        I was wondering the same thing because I can't see them

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
          no, maybe you have to go to quick links & click on pictures & albums, then "upload album " & go from there, i"ve never posted pictures before, all i see is a box with a red x in it

Comment

Can't see them here either. Just the dreaded red X.

Comment

Something did not work, red "x" s here too. Try again, the pics are of interest.

Comment

Don't know what happened to the pics. they loaded and showed when I put them in and poof now their gone.

Comment

anyone see a flower, if so , what i did to post it was go to quick links ,pictures & albums, upload album, certain size restrictions may apply(that's why the flower, not my first choice)This puts image in users profile i think ,under albums.Now, to post image, open up a normal posting window & click on insert image icon up above,right click & copy.I only have one image for trial purposes, so don't know how you select image from multiple images in album, might have to get more help from some computer techie .
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 07-12-2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff

This would not be a problem if SturgisJeff would back away from his stubborn tendency to hotlink images. Hint for Mr. Sturgis: get an account at photobucket.com, load the images to your account, and post your pics from there. You have more control over the images that you post, you don't get the red X of failure, and you can sleep better at night with teh knowledge that you are not stealing the bandwidth paid for, sometimes so dearly, by the proprietors of other web sites.

That's simple enough.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Okay tried some suggestions hopefully they worked or UTH can spank me till I cry like a little baby

Comment

Great pictures and looks like the kids had a great time.

It reminds me of the year I moved to Brookings in 1953 and was in the sixth grade. Some of my new found friends had a softball game going at what is now the parking lot of First Lutheran Church. It was before the church was built and the area had been used as a equestrian riding track by the Rude family. There was a trailer court to our east and a big fence separating us from a trailer full of college students, some were on the baseball team. More than once these guys climb over the fence and we chose up sides and played until dark and maybe cut into their study time, but it was great time that is not forgotten by me.

I suspect those kids in the pictures may have had a better time playing ball with these nice young ladies. A great way to spend the summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X