Lubbock, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubbock, TX

I welcome those of yall that will be traveling to Lubbock, this weekend. This town will be very easy to get around as our major streets are all 1 mile apart and go by numbers. The major streets are 4th, 19th ,34th, 50th, Loop 289. Texas Tech University is between 4th and 19th, University and Indiana. The United Spirit Arena is on Indiana and will have easy access. We have most of your major restaurants as the town has over 200,000 residents. Have a steak or a Chicken Fried Steak while you are hear. As yall know, the Lady Raiders will not be playing, so the crowd may be sparse and non committal. Hope you enjoy your time in West Texas.

Re: Lubbock, TX

Originally posted by Big Mac View Post
    I welcome those of yall that will be traveling to Lubbock, this weekend. This town will be very easy to get around as our major streets are all 1 mile apart and go by numbers. The major streets are 4th, 19th ,34th, 50th, Loop 289. Texas Tech University is between 4th and 19th, University and Indiana. The United Spirit Arena is on Indiana and will have easy access. We have most of your major restaurants as the town has over 200,000 residents. Have a steak or a Chicken Fried Steak while you are hear. As yall know, the Lady Raiders will not be playing, so the crowd may be sparse and non committal. Hope you enjoy your time in West Texas.
    Let me suggest that you all get on the Jackrabbit bandwagon. Come out and watch our women play on Sunday and I think you'll be convinced. Wear yellow and blue and you will fit right in.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Why Lubbock?

I read where some expressed dismay that SDSU was sent to the sub regional in Lubbock. A sign of disrespect was a term that came to mind. I can certainly understand how fans of your great team would have much preferred to not travel so far. I agree, because it appears to me that SDSU deserved a higher seed and perhaps an easier first round game closer to home.

Let's take a look at why Lubbock is hosting a sub regional to begin with.

It goes way back to a place that isn't even Lubbock. Travel 40 miles north to a town that is almost exactly the same size as Brookings, S.D. Plainview is the home of Wayland Baptist University, one the core birthplaces of modern women's college basketball. WBU was a powerhouse in wbb from the 1950's to the '70's before the NCAA finally acknowledged the women's version of the sport existed.

They didn't need Title IX in the Texas panhandle to tell them that women could play ball and they could be fun to support. Just visit the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame to understand the importance of the many people at WBU to women's basketball.
      http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Wayland_Baptist_University
      http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4112/is_200308/ai_n9292881

Because of the success of the Flying Queens of WBU, girl's high school basketball in west Texas was popular and well supported. Again, decades before Title IX forced the big city schools to recognize it. WBU graduated players who went on to coach in local high schools. And more importantly, they dispelled any notion in the surrounding communities that girls shouldn't play basketball. West Texas developed great high school girls' teams that dominated the state high school championships for many years.

One of those principals at WBU was Marsha Sharp, a wbb Hall of Fame member. Sharp tried to play at WBU but she was a better coach. So before she had even become a senior at WBU, she became the coach of their freshman team, in the days when freshmen had separate teams. Sharp quickly went to Texas Tech where she used that local talent to build a powerhouse program.

Of course Tech won the NCAA National Championship in 1993 with Sheryl Swoopes who had grown up a few miles down the road from Lubbock. Tech went on to be ranked in the Top 25 AP poll every week for almost 11 consecutive years. I could go on about the number of Elite 8's, Sweet 16's and conference championships won by Texas Tech under Sharp's guidance.

As you experience in Brookings, the success of the Lady Raiders drew huge fan support. As a result of the fan support of the women's basketball team, Texas Tech was able to build one of the finest basketball facilities on any college campus in 1999, the United Spirit Arena. In addition, Tech has been ranked in the top 5 nationally in women's basketball attendance for many years helping the Big 12 conference set several annual records for attendance at women's basketball games. Due to the Lady Raider's success, the United Spirit Arena has hosted several sub-regionals in the past 15 years.

Lubbock has a freeway under construction named for Marsha Sharp. The SDSU women's basketball team and fans could not be going to play in a community that respects women's basketball more than Lubbock and west Texas.

With Sharp's retirement 3 years ago, the Lady Raider program is in rebuilding mode and is not participating in the tournament this year. Attendance at this sub regional is not expected to be large because the fan base is disappointed, to put it mildly. They had hoped to be back by now, which is why Tech put in a bid several years ago to host in 2009.

As far as difficulty in travel... Have you ever tried to get to San Antonio? or Austin? SA has hosted men's and women's final fours as well as regionals and is not the easiest place to fly into. I'm guessing the Baylor, OU, A&M and Texas fans were considering flights through Dallas to Lubbock a while back. I would also guess that all but Baylor fans would be releasing those reservations for air and hotels this week. UTSA and TCU won't bring large numbers of fans.

I hope several of you can make it to Lubbock and enjoy your time here. I would love to watch the Jacks beat TCU. You might even give Baylor a challenge since they are missing their leading scorer and rebounder. Best of Luck! Go Blue!

If you want to see the trophy you are playing for, check it out in the main west entrance foyer of the USA.

Comment

I don't think anyone ment disrespect for the actual town of Lubbock, rather how "hard" for lack of a better word to get there.

Comment

Flying into Laos fits my definition of "hard". Seems like a whole lotta whining about getting to Lubbock by way too many on this board. Read microgirl's post for further chastisement about whining.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
            I don't think anyone ment disrespect for the actual town of Lubbock, rather how "hard" for lack of a better word to get there.
            Yes that is what I gathered. I just wanted you to know that there is a reason the NCAA chose Lubbock and that it will be worth the extra mile you have to go to get here.

Some places to check out if you have free time:
            • Llano Estacado and/or Caprock wineries.
            • Ranching Heritage Museum on the campus at Texas Tech, part of the Texas Tech Museum
            • Rawls Course, a top 3 rated collegiate golf course, also on the campus. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/communicati...wls-course.php
            • Buddy Holly Center

Mexican food: Abuelos Mexican Embassy
            Steaks: Double Nickel Steakhouse or Las Brisas Steakhouse

If you like baseball, catch
            A Legacy of Winning Monday, March 23rd 2009 Texas Tech Univ and Lubbock Christian University will play at Dan Law Field on the campus of Texas Tech in a game to honor Larry Hays, longtime baseball coach of both programs. First pitch is at 6:30.
            Lubbock is the home of the College Baseball Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, the facility for the Hall of Fame is in the planning stages and not available to visit currently.

Comment

To all SDSU Fans:

I am heading out of town on business, and I want to take a moment to wish your team the best of luck and good fortune in Lubbock. I know you are all extremely proud of your team, as you should be.

To those traveling, safe travels. Lubbock is a great college town. I think you will find it very much like Brookings, SD only bigger.

Make the Sweet 16 so I can send you off properly next week at this time.

Again, good luck from a die hard old Coyote Fan.

This is exciting.

Comment

Re: Why Lubbock?

Originally posted by DblT81 View Post
                I read where some expressed dismay that SDSU was sent to the sub regional in Lubbock. A sign of disrespect was a term that came to mind. I can certainly understand how fans of your great team would have much preferred to not travel so far. I agree, because it appears to me that SDSU deserved a higher seed and perhaps an easier first round game closer to home.

Let's take a look at why Lubbock is hosting a sub regional to begin with.

It goes way back to a place that isn't even Lubbock. Travel 40 miles north to a town that is almost exactly the same size as Brookings, S.D. Plainview is the home of Wayland Baptist University, one the core birthplaces of modern women's college basketball. WBU was a powerhouse in wbb from the 1950's to the '70's before the NCAA finally acknowledged the women's version of the sport existed.

They didn't need Title IX in the Texas panhandle to tell them that women could play ball and they could be fun to support. Just visit the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame to understand the importance of the many people at WBU to women's basketball.
                http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Wayland_Baptist_University
                http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4112/is_200308/ai_n9292881

Because of the success of the Flying Queens of WBU, girl's high school basketball in west Texas was popular and well supported. Again, decades before Title IX forced the big city schools to recognize it. WBU graduated players who went on to coach in local high schools. And more importantly, they dispelled any notion in the surrounding communities that girls shouldn't play basketball. West Texas developed great high school girls' teams that dominated the state high school championships for many years.

One of those principals at WBU was Marsha Sharp, a wbb Hall of Fame member. Sharp tried to play at WBU but she was a better coach. So before she had even become a senior at WBU, she became the coach of their freshman team, in the days when freshmen had separate teams. Sharp quickly went to Texas Tech where she used that local talent to build a powerhouse program.

Of course Tech won the NCAA National Championship in 1993 with Sheryl Swoopes who had grown up a few miles down the road from Lubbock. Tech went on to be ranked in the Top 25 AP poll every week for almost 11 consecutive years. I could go on about the number of Elite 8's, Sweet 16's and conference championships won by Texas Tech under Sharp's guidance.

As you experience in Brookings, the success of the Lady Raiders drew huge fan support. As a result of the fan support of the women's basketball team, Texas Tech was able to build one of the finest basketball facilities on any college campus in 1999, the United Spirit Arena. In addition, Tech has been ranked in the top 5 nationally in women's basketball attendance for many years helping the Big 12 conference set several annual records for attendance at women's basketball games. Due to the Lady Raider's success, the United Spirit Arena has hosted several sub-regionals in the past 15 years.

Lubbock has a freeway under construction named for Marsha Sharp. The SDSU women's basketball team and fans could not be going to play in a community that respects women's basketball more than Lubbock and west Texas.

With Sharp's retirement 3 years ago, the Lady Raider program is in rebuilding mode and is not participating in the tournament this year. Attendance at this sub regional is not expected to be large because the fan base is disappointed, to put it mildly. They had hoped to be back by now, which is why Tech put in a bid several years ago to host in 2009.

As far as difficulty in travel... Have you ever tried to get to San Antonio? or Austin? SA has hosted men's and women's final fours as well as regionals and is not the easiest place to fly into. I'm guessing the Baylor, OU, A&M and Texas fans were considering flights through Dallas to Lubbock a while back. I would also guess that all but Baylor fans would be releasing those reservations for air and hotels this week. UTSA and TCU won't bring large numbers of fans.

I hope several of you can make it to Lubbock and enjoy your time here. I would love to watch the Jacks beat TCU. You might even give Baylor a challenge since they are missing their leading scorer and rebounder. Best of Luck! Go Blue!

If you want to see the trophy you are playing for, check it out in the main west entrance foyer of the USA.
                No disrespect on this end - just frustration that my husband and I can't go to Texas. Whether by train, bus, car, or plane, my doctor won't let me travel that far this late in my pregnancy. On the other hand, he was willing to let me go to Iowa City. So, it is disappointing for my family that we are playing so far away.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  To all SDSU Fans:

I am heading out of town on business, and I want to take a moment to wish your team the best of luck and good fortune in Lubbock. I know you are all extremely proud of your team, as you should be.

To those traveling, safe travels. Lubbock is a great college town. I think you will find it very much like Brookings, SD only bigger.

Make the Sweet 16 so I can send you off properly next week at this time.

Again, good luck from a die hard old Coyote Fan.

This is exciting.

This is exciting and not just for SDSU supporters. This is a tremendous thing for the ENTIRE state of South Dakota.

Hopefully the ladies can make a run in the tournament.

Go Get'em Jacks!

Comment

81is our best and most knowledgeable poster, however, if you want a steak, I would go to Cagles, about 6 miles west in 4th street. The mall is located at Loop 289 and Slide road. Good luck to yall, you will make friends when you get here. Remember, there is no home team playing.

Comment

"81is our best and most knowledgeable poster, however, if you want a steak, I would go to Cagles, about 6 miles west in 4th street. The mall is located at Loop 289 and Slide road. Good luck to yall, you will make friends when you get here. Remember, there is no home team playing."

I don't know how the people in Lubbock feel about TCU and Baylor but if you come out and root for the Jackrabbits you won't be disappointed. I think, despite earlier comments about getting to Lubbock, that you will find us South Dakotans as warm and welcoming as you all have been to us in your postings. And who knows, down the road you all might find yourselves asking,How do you get to Brookings, SD?. I could see a Texas Tech versus South Dakota State game in the not to distant future.

Unfortunately I can't go the games in Lubbock due to distance (Michigan) and work, plus sick kids but I bet we would have a great time there. But thank you for the hospitality.

Comment

Cagels Steak $$
                        Las Brisas $$$
                        50 Yard Line $$$
                        Cattle Baron's $$
                        Abuelos (Mexican) $$
                        Rosa's (Mexican) $
                        One Guys Pizza (by campus) $
                        Gardski's (Broadway by campus; great for lunch) $$
                        Home Plate Diner (Chicken Fried Steak!) $
                        Cap Rock Cafe (great typical TX Bar and Grill) $$

Buddy Holly Center is small but interesting and get your picture taken by the big black glasses

If you have time to kill Main Event is a blast with bowling, laser tag, arcade etc

Ranching Heritage Museum is really good

We have great shopping, mall is on Slide Road

Comment

It's been a while and I was pretty full, but if you want to get in trouble go to Midnight Rodeo for some dancing.

Comment

Pictures on Argus site of WBB arriving in TX.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X