Help me understand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand...

How could there be a worse draw for a fan of South Dakota State University than a Sunday/Tuesday selection in Lubbock TX? It makes way more sense just to stay home and watch the games on T.V. or listen on the radio if the stations are even able to broadcast the games. Maybe I'm missing something but I think Lubbock is about the worst possible draw from fan perspective. I'm not talking about the teams chances or respect or any other teams perspective I'm just talking about me. Damn, I hate not being there but I don't see it happening as things stand right now.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Help me understand...

http://www.kayak.com/s/flights.jsp?s...completed=true

Check out Kayak. NO GOOD. I had the wrong dates.
    Last edited by 2002jack; 03-16-2009, 10:11 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Never mind, a week behind. Good luck finding a ticket under $500.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I had my fingers crossed for Iowa City...just 20 miles down Interstate 380 from Cedar Rapids. What's really annoying is to be living in Hawkeye Land and seeing 9th-seeded and unranked Iowa playing on its home court...realizing how these things work in women's basketball. But a lot of SDSU fans would have gone to Iowa City. I'm sure Bison nation will stampede the Metrodome for the men's tournament.

Comment

Agreed. It's a lousy draw. Mostly, it's a lousy seeding. Seventh? Playing in Lubbock with three Texas teams, including two seeded lower than the Jacks. That's disrespectful. About all the Jacks can do about it is go out and kick TCU's rear and take names. Go, Jacks.
          This space for lease.

Comment

A footnote: It's a lousy draw mostly for fans in the Upper Midwest who had visions of going to the opening-round game. For for the team, it probably doesn't matter. They're too focused. Maybe playing in a city without a lot of distractions will be a plus.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Here's the flip side:

I'm pretty sure Baylor & TCU are bussing to Lubbock. SDSU is flying charter from Sioux Falls direct to Lubbock.

Which team's getting a better 'route' to the host city?

Comment

Look at it from the other teams' point of view . . . SDSU probably should have been a 5 seed.

How would you like to be Baylor looking at SDSU as a potential 2nd round opponent, let alone TCU getting the Jacks in the 1st round.

Of course, it all means nothing if we don't beat TCU on Sunday.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Once we win in the tournament and prove something, we'll start earning the respect nationally that we deserve.

As AJ told SI: "We're not a bunch of little engines that could that somehow had this miraculous season," said coach Aaron Johnston. "We have a bunch of really good players who play exceptionally well together."

I'm sure that we're perceived by many in WBB circles as a cute little story out of nowhere rather than an emerging mid-major program that's going to be challenging for NCAA tournament wins for years to come. But we have to prove it to them. That starts with TCU.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    I'm sure that we're perceived by many in WBB circles as a cute little story out of nowhere
                    Anyone who thinks that after watching the Jacks play doesn't know the first thing about basketball.

I can understand some people thinking that if they haven't seen the Jacks play, but once you see the Jacks play, it's impossible to think that this is a cute little team having a good season.

And I think AJ's quote to SI is something that he's told his players as well...

Comment

UTSA landed at 1pm, SDSU lands at 3, Baylor arrives by air at 5 pm and I am not sure about when TCU will get here. I think that the people that come to Lubbock will think that this draw was very good for yall.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mac View Post
                        UTSA landed at 1pm, SDSU lands at 3, Baylor arrives by air at 5 pm and I am not sure about when TCU will get here. I think that the people that come to Lubbock will think that this draw was very good for yall.
                        They all got flown? Bummer. Not that it matters much at this stage of the game.

Comment

yes, where we are in west Texas, almost everybody flies. I did read where TCU will be taking the bus for the 320 miles from Fort Worth to Lubbock. We call West Texas, the Giant Side of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mac View Post
                            the Giant Side of Texas.
                            Because of the movie Giant?

Comment

not really as the movie "Giant" was filmed in Alpine, TX which is 200 miles southwest of here. In the song by the Dixie Chicks "Wide open spaces" would be a better description of this area of the state. there was an old joke about living in Lubbock, where your dog can run away and two days later you can still see him.
                              The girls were to land 90 minutes ago the current temp in 79 and a little windy.

Comment

Working...
                              X