• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Johnston on Shootaround :)

http://www.wbca.org/Archive.asp

Can link to it from GOJACKS too

Re: Coach Johnston on Shootaround

Nice find and good listen. The cell phone reception was sketchy at times (said he was on a recruiting trip in Nebraska).

Good pub for the team.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

VERY interesting tidbit from the program: 52 D1 programs W. of the Mississippi.

That's a really small number--only about 15% of all D-1 schools.

Which means, unless by some unforeseen miracle SDSU gets in the Valley, it's loooooooong road trips and one day layovers between conference games for the foreseeable future.

Comment

so now here is a question, is all of the attention SD State good for us? I mean I know in the long run it is great, but for the playoffs this year, is it putting a huge big bulls-eye on us?

I think a lot of fans of other teams at least, can't speak for coaches and players, think SD State is overrated. Does the hype and press SDSU has been getting set us up for a huge fall?

What is considered a successful season now? For me, this season is a success already, it just keeps getting better and better, but for an outsider looking in, at which point have we fulfilled our destiny? (For lack of a better way of wording this.)

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
          so now here is a question, is all of the attention SD State good for us? I mean I know in the long run it is great, but for the playoffs this year, is it putting a huge big bulls-eye on us?

I think a lot of fans of other teams at least, can't speak for coaches and players, think SD State is overrated. Does the hype and press SDSU has been getting set us up for a huge fall?

What is considered a successful season now? For me, this season is a success already, it just keeps getting better and better, but for an outsider looking in, at which point have we fulfilled our destiny? (For lack of a better way of wording this.)
          1) NDSU & Oakland thought SDSU was overrated..... This team, I think, goes out every night with the idea that they have to prove themselves. That's their motivation. Hearing some other player or some commentator say they don't belong only makes that fire hotter. That's an AJ thing. SDSU has lost one grudge match. They've won something like 16 or 17 of them.

2) Sweet 16 appearance is now the minimum standard for progress, seeings how the soccer team got to the field of 32.

In all likelihood, SDSU is going to face an AQ from a weak conference in the first round. Only 9 conferences have RPI high enough to put their champion in the tournament as an at-large (RPI 1-34). That means 22 conferences will be filling out the bottom registers (65-54). Essentially, seeds 12-16 will be filled by AQs.

If SDSU draws a #5, they'll be playing a #12 (tournament AQ), which definitely favors SDSU.

If, conversely, they draw a BCS program (#6 and lower), it will almost certainly be a BCS program that lost the tournament--again, advantage SDSU.

Second round is where, IMO, the Jacks will have to bring something to the game that they haven't needed yet. This will be a great season, but to make the Sweet 16---THAT will require the Jacks to truly exceed the standards they've set for themselves thus far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            1) NDSU & Oakland thought SDSU was overrated..... This team, I think, goes out every night with the idea that they have to prove themselves. That's their motivation. Hearing some other player or some commentator say they don't belong only makes that fire hotter. That's an AJ thing. SDSU has lost one grudge match. They've won something like 16 or 17 of them.

2) Sweet 16 appearance is now the minimum standard for progress, seeings how the soccer team got to the field of 32.

In all likelihood, SDSU is going to face an AQ from a weak conference in the first round. Only 9 conferences have RPI high enough to put their champion in the tournament as an at-large (RPI 1-34). That means 22 conferences will be filling out the bottom registers (65-54). Essentially, seeds 12-16 will be filled by AQs.

If SDSU draws a #5, they'll be playing a #12 (tournament AQ), which definitely favors SDSU.

If, conversely, they draw a BCS program (#6 and lower), it will almost certainly be a BCS program that lost the tournament--again, advantage SDSU.

Second round is where, IMO, the Jacks will have to bring something to the game that they haven't needed yet. This will be a great season, but to make the Sweet 16---THAT will require the Jacks to truly exceed the standards they've set for themselves thus far this year.
            Pardon the ignorance. What's AQ?

Comment

Automatic Qualifier - ie conference champ
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                Pardon the ignorance. What's AQ?
                Automatic Qualifier.
                Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM. Reason: EQguy beat me to it.

Comment

Good point.

Sweet 16 would be well, sweet, but does that mean if SDSU doesn't make the sweet 16 the season is not a success? I look at Sweet 16 as validation that your program was elite. But you look at this season and there are a LOT of teams that honestly believe they should be Sw16...

I agree...

like I said, to me, this team is already a huge success, what they do the rest of the season won't change that, it may make it stand out in the history books more, BUT for me it is already one of the most fun seasons of basketball I have had the pleasure to watch/listen to.

I just wonder how the rest of the country will perceive us going forward. I suppose I shouldn't care...lol but I do. I want people to if not Like the Jacks at least show the team the respect they have earned.

I try not to get super conceited when talking about the Jacks, exp.. when talking to people who support other teams... but man it is hard not to be over-hyper...

I guess I feel that because of the ranking, press and, well, and a few overzealous SDSU fans, other team's fans are starting to pull for us to lose just to "put us back in our place." Can't say that is for sure, but just an impression I get.

Comment

Good point.

Sweet 16 would be well, sweet, but does that mean if SDSU doesn't make the sweet 16 the season is not a success? I look at Sweet 16 as validation that your program was elite. But you look at this season and there are a LOT of teams that honestly believe they should be Sw16...

I agree...

like I said, to me, this team is already a huge success, what they do the rest of the season won't change that, it may make it stand out in the history books more, BUT for me it is already one of the most fun seasons of basketball I have had the pleasure to watch/listen to.

I just wonder how the rest of the country will perceive us going forward. I suppose I shouldn't care...lol but I do. I want people to if not Like the Jacks at least show the team the respect they have earned.

I try not to get super conceited when talking about the Jacks, exp.. when talking to people who support other teams... but man it is hard not to be over-hyper...

I guess I feel that because of the ranking, press and, well, and a few overzealous SDSU fans, other team's fans are starting to pull for us to lose just to "put us back in our place." Can't say that is for sure, but just an impression I get.
                    If you live or grew-up in the Dakota's this attitude is passed down from generation to generation. I call it the..."Can't let anyone get to high on themselves Syndrome".

Is it any surprise SD was the last state in the nation to have ZERO D-1 programs?? Again..."Can't let anyone get to high on themselves."
                    For the next, I would estimate 20 years, SDSU will be wished ill-will by those who thought that by SDSU moving to D-1 alone, they think they're better than everyone else. God forbid we think we actually have a...dare I say...GREAT top 25 women's basketball team.

So I say, go ahead and gloat it up. Dare I say it's might be good for us South Dakotans to think that we can compete with any state in the nation??

Maybe I'm wrong...but I know one thing with these Ladies and SDSU athletics in general...I can't wait to find out!!!

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

The shootaround segment prior to Aaron Johnson interview was about what would it take to knock off UConn. There were about 8 sections that would need to be matched. I thought that SDSU would do pretty well in most of the categories. The ability to play without getting WOW'ED is the one I hope that SDSU continues to demonstrate. Certainly hope that the Jacks can slip into a #5 slot, but it will be tough to get the selection committee to go beyond the high SOS, and relatively weak RPI to make that seed.

One thing about the publicity that AJ's coached Jacks are getting, is that NO ONE will be surprised if they do well. More so if they do poorly.

Likewise, this year's team has been stellar. Hopefully, when they get to the one n done phase, they can rub their lucky Rabbits' feet, and keep the winning string going with 7 more.

Comment

Just listened to the broadcast. The host that wasn't on the phone reminded me of the manager of the electronics store from 40 Year Old Virgin.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                          Just listened to the broadcast. The host that wasn't on the phone reminded me of the manager of the electronics store from 40 Year Old Virgin.
                          I get that!

Comment

Nice recognition of Nancy Nieber's work in building the program and laying the groundwork for the present success.

Great interview (even though one of the moderators did a little of the "have cell phones out there?...").

In our wildest dreams five years ago, did any Jackrabbit fan think SDSU athletics would have the success it has had and that any of the teams would rise as fast as the women's basketball team? I loved the final shot from Antonelli: "See you in the tournament, Aaron!"

Comment

It's just such an awesome story about the whole team. A bunch of local small-town women led by a former golf coach and grad assistant with no prior head coaching experience who got his chance as head coach when he's still in his 20's after his long-time predecessor has to step down to health reasons. He then leads them to win a DII National Championship three years later. Has amazing success during the transtion, making the Jacks the first transitional team ever to qualify for the WNIT and takes them to the quarter-finals. Two years later has the Jacks in the top 20 in the nation and owns the second best home record of all Division I schools.

Simply amazing, hope you all realize how lucky we are to be able to experience this.

Comment

Working...
                              X