USA Today cover story on Jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Today cover story on Jacks

South Dakota native Mel Antonen, one of the nation's premier sports writers, spent some time in Brookings recently.
    Great story:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ta-state_N.htm

Re: USA Today cover story on Jacks

Some great quotes from Brenda Freese, and Oregon coach:

"They are a team that doesn't make mistakes," says Maryland coach Brenda Frese, whose No. 7-ranked team handed the Jacks one of their two losses, 68-56, Nov. 26. "Every player plays within their roles. They are a dangerous team that I wouldn't want to see come NCAA tournament time."
    Oregon coach Bev Smith, whose team lost to the Jacks 80-63 in November, calls them "unorthodox" because their taller players shoot three-pointers and their shorter players play inside. "We're not used to defending that," Smith says. "It reminds me of a European team."
    Last edited by NoVaJack; 02-24-2009, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Well, there goes the element of surprise, guess now we'll have to instill fear....fear the rabbit

Comment

Shoulda known better than to read that before leaving for work. Now I'm going to have to take extra time to compose myself.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Wow! Incredible. This is great for SDSU, not just the women's program, but the entire university!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
            Wow! Incredible. This is great for SDSU, not just the women's program, but the entire university!!!!
            And in these days of doom-and-gloom news, it's good for everyone in the country to read an article like that. Great human-interest story.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
              Shoulda known better than to read that before leaving for work. Now I'm going to have to take extra time to compose myself.

I read it after I GOT to work, got so excited I peed my pants, now I have to go home and change clothes!

Comment

Great story!! Makes one proud to be a small town boy from SD even if I don't live there anymore.

Comment

Overview:

Mel grew up in Lake Norden, SD. When Jen lived in Lake Norden, she lived next to Mel's brother Rusty. Rusty is a SDSU grad and booster. Nice article, made me tear up.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I completely agree with JD. After just last night remarking to my wife that I was going to not watch/read ANY national new media outlet for at least 2 weeks, this story is a refreshing read for anyone...not just Jackrabbit fans.

We just had a daughter two weeks and 2 days ago and if she turns out to be even half the women Jenn is at 21 years of age, I will be a very proud Father.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

This, was an awesome story

btw... the comment about peeing your pants...lol now my co-workers think I am a loon as I just started Laughing out loud, snorting because I was trying to be quiet about it.
                      Last edited by rabidrabbit; 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        Overview:

Mel grew up in Lake Norden, SD. When Jen lived in Lake Norden, she lived next to Mel's brother Rusty. Rusty is a SDSU grad and booster. Nice article, made me tear up.
                        Jen and her family lived in the house that Mel's parents lived in (Ray Antonen I can't remember his mother's name). I gave a little hint about this story a little more than a week ago. I knew it was going to be prominent in the USA today but this is better than I expected. A big thank you to Mel.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I request that this topic be made sticky or in some way be archived so that it can easily be found long into the future.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

USA Today

Congrats ladies and Coaching staff

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ta-state_N.htm
                            Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                            Muhammad Ali

Comment

Does anyone remember the argument against going D-1 that revolved around the small town kids wouldn't get a chance to play at State?

The cool thing is that almost the opposite has proven true. The morals and hard-wroking mindset of the "small town" kids has proven nothing but an asset.

Plus, how about Jenn Warkenthien? What an amazing woman! She has had to deal with a lot in her young life and is an inspiration to many.

Just reading that makes me want to do a little better.

The Jackrabbit Nation is full of pride today!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X