Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rabbits roam north to de-hoove the bison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rabbits roam north to de-hoove the bison.

Originally posted by Snookums View Post
    YOUR wife can read this, you know.....
    Oh, geez. Now I have to go quench MY wench . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      i am laughing my butt off right now like you wouldnt believe.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Hey I thought this was a family friendly board.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          Hey I thought this was a family friendly board.
          It starts with being friendly to your own family . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here's a late addition, from TV's article today:

"We thought we'd come in and have another performance like we did down there, but you have to give them credit; that's why they're in the top 25," Bison center Jerri Penley said. "They played well, they were intense, they were in our faces and we let it get to us."
            IMO, this is about as clear a statement of the 'kid brother' attitude up in Fargo as you will ever see.

Someone at the NDSU/SDSU soccer game last fall told me that a few Bison players expected to knock off the Jacks.

The Jacks were then 6-0, hadn't allowed a goal in league play and were 11-3 overall while the Bison were 2-2-1 and 5-9-2.

As long as there are NDSU players that believe the letters on their jerseys give them some sort of mystical advantage against Jackrabbits, NDSU will struggle against good SDSU programs.

Comment

Excuse me, don't you want your players to believe they can win? Have you ever heard a coach say, "You're going to out there and get your asses kicked and don't expect any different"?

Now there's a huge difference between believing you have a chance to win and expecting to. But do you think for one tiny moment that any player on the Bison squad expected a win on Saturday versus a top-20 SDSU team? You're smoking something if you do. I'm sure they thought they had a chance, and they were right to. They gave your ladies all they could handle for 30 minutes when they met in Brookings, and they had to go into Saturday's game hoping to do the same, but for 40 minutes this time. If they thought otherwise, they shouldn't have bothered to take the floor.

Now, I expected Saturday's outcome. Coach Dehoff did some nice game planning for the first meeting, but AJ was able to make changes during halftime and defeat those plans. I figured it would be a one-shot deal and not something we could repeat. But a player's attitude has to be different than a fan's.

What I really wanted to post on this thread was in relation to the lack of a play-by-play on the webcast. I'm not certain how you do things down there, but I think we do things a little different. I like our way, but it has one major drawback that showed itself Saturday night.

We have one announcer that does almost all men's and women's games. Also, all games are broadcast on the same radio network, unlike many schools where the men's games are on the more powerful station and the women's games are relegated to a lesser. Scott Miller(WDAY employee) is joined by Jeremy Jorgensen(NDSU Director for Broadcasting and Marketing) for home games, but does most away games solo. In the rare cases when the men and women are playing on the same day in different locations, or Scott can't get from one game to the other quickly enough, Scott typically handles the men's game and Jeremy takes the women's; all games broadcast on WDAY. In the extremely rare cases when the men and women play at the same time(I think Saul and Carolyn do their best to avoid that), they typically choose to broadcast only the men's game; though it depends on the circumstances(if the women were playing, say, Tennessee, and the men were playing Mayville State, I'd expect they'd broadcast the women's game and not the men's).

That's what happened Saturday. The Bison men were playing a very important game at the same time the Bison women were expected to be blown out. Since the play-by-play audio for the webcast comes from WDAY, and since their crew was in Milwaukee for the men's game, there was no way to put an audio feed with the video; there was no audio feed to be had. This situation typically crops up no more than one time per year, and it came up this time only because of factors outside NDSU's control(ESPN and the Summit).

It did make me consider something I hadn't before. NDSU is one of the proponents in the Summit for the move to mirror scheduling. If that were to pass(and it probably won't), it would really screw up our broadcasting situation. Under mirror scheduling, almost all men's and women's conference games would be held simultaneously. That would require us to create a second full-time broadcasting team to handle the women's games and a second radio network to carry them. While I like the idea of moving the women's games to better times to encourage attendance, I wonder if having the men's and women's games on the radio at the same time wouldn't hurt the women's program far more in the long run. I wish there was a good third option to mirror and Thurs/Sat/Mon scheduling.

Comment

I had forgotten about the proposal for mirror scheduling. I'd really hate to see that passed. I love having the Thur/Sat/Tues games we have now. It gives the men one day of their own and the women the same. Really helps fans of schools who like to follow both teams through the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                  Excuse me, don't you want your players to believe they can win? Have you ever heard a coach say, "You're going to out there and get your asses kicked and don't expect any different"?

Now there's a huge difference between believing you have a chance to win and expecting to. But do you think for one tiny moment that any player on the Bison squad expected a win on Saturday versus a top-20 SDSU team? You're smoking something if you do. I'm sure they thought they had a chance, and they were right to. They gave your ladies all they could handle for 30 minutes when they met in Brookings, and they had to go into Saturday's game hoping to do the same, but for 40 minutes this time. If they thought otherwise, they shouldn't have bothered to take the floor.

Now, I expected Saturday's outcome. Coach Dehoff did some nice game planning for the first meeting, but AJ was able to make changes during halftime and defeat those plans. I figured it would be a one-shot deal and not something we could repeat. But a player's attitude has to be different than a fan's.

What I really wanted to post on this thread was in relation to the lack of a play-by-play on the webcast. I'm not certain how you do things down there, but I think we do things a little different. I like our way, but it has one major drawback that showed itself Saturday night.

We have one announcer that does almost all men's and women's games. Also, all games are broadcast on the same radio network, unlike many schools where the men's games are on the more powerful station and the women's games are relegated to a lesser. Scott Miller(WDAY employee) is joined by Jeremy Jorgensen(NDSU Director for Broadcasting and Marketing) for home games, but does most away games solo. In the rare cases when the men and women are playing on the same day in different locations, or Scott can't get from one game to the other quickly enough, Scott typically handles the men's game and Jeremy takes the women's; all games broadcast on WDAY. In the extremely rare cases when the men and women play at the same time(I think Saul and Carolyn do their best to avoid that), they typically choose to broadcast only the men's game; though it depends on the circumstances(if the women were playing, say, Tennessee, and the men were playing Mayville State, I'd expect they'd broadcast the women's game and not the men's).

That's what happened Saturday. The Bison men were playing a very important game at the same time the Bison women were expected to be blown out. Since the play-by-play audio for the webcast comes from WDAY, and since their crew was in Milwaukee for the men's game, there was no way to put an audio feed with the video; there was no audio feed to be had. This situation typically crops up no more than one time per year, and it came up this time only because of factors outside NDSU's control(ESPN and the Summit).

It did make me consider something I hadn't before. NDSU is one of the proponents in the Summit for the move to mirror scheduling. If that were to pass(and it probably won't), it would really screw up our broadcasting situation. Under mirror scheduling, almost all men's and women's conference games would be held simultaneously. That would require us to create a second full-time broadcasting team to handle the women's games and a second radio network to carry them. While I like the idea of moving the women's games to better times to encourage attendance, I wonder if having the men's and women's games on the radio at the same time wouldn't hurt the women's program far more in the long run. I wish there was a good third option to mirror and Thurs/Sat/Mon scheduling.
                  Well at SDSU we have separate play-by-play announcers for men and women so we don't have that problem. However, this was no secret that the games were going to interfere on Saturday. It's possible NDSU could have worked something out with Depot 910 and gotten Tyler's call synced with the video, just like SDSU does for home games.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Well at SDSU we have separate play-by-play announcers for men and women so we don't have that problem. However, this was no secret that the games were going to interfere on Saturday. It's possible NDSU could have worked something out with Depot 910 and gotten Tyler's call synced with the video, just like SDSU does for home games.
                    Possible, but we've been having a hard enough time with local audio. While we started having our radio broadcast synched with the video last season for football, we only got the same for basketball a few games into this season. Additionally, they've never managed to get the audio and video truly synched for basketball; there's always a second or two delay one way or the other. I'm not sure if the problem is in the people or the equipment. I suspect the equipment in the BSA is sub-standard and NDSU is hesitant to upgrade because of the planned gut-and-rebuild of the building in the next few years. But you can't rule out that the people running the system are borderline incompetent.

Comment

• Re: Rabbits roam north to de-hoove the bison.

Now there's a huge difference between believing you have a chance to win and expecting to.
                      It was the expectation that what they did against SDSU was something repeatable.

IMO, half the problems the SDSU men have had this season are attributable to a lack of confidence and belief that they belong on the right side of any given spread of points, so I understand the need to have confidence in your ability to win.

However, there's a difference between confidence and overconfidence. Penley's comments, to me, suggest overconfidence. They assumed that their performance against NDSU wasn't aberrational--that it would be up to them whether or not they repeated it.

To relate it to the '07 marker game: That was NOT a game SDSU should've won, and if I had heard any SDSU player--especially a senior and team leader--heading up to Fargo for a same season rematch (assuming there was one) talking about how they 'expected to have the same kind of performance' they did in Brookings, I'd just shake my head and wait for the carnage.
                      Last edited by zooropa; 02-23-2009, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Re: Rabbits roam north to de-hoove the bison.

NDSU is one of the proponents in the Summit for the move to mirror scheduling.
                        I have to say, your administrators really tick me off with that one:

They're never going to get people to go to Monday night games when the Saturday games are at 2:00, and require a separate ticket purchase from the men's game.

It's like this: I want to see some Bison basketball on a Saturday. What am I going to do? Block off, basically, the WHOLE day so I can go to a game that lasts from 2:00-4:00, and then kill 3 hours before I have to go buy a second ticket to see the men's game start at 7:00?

I want to get stuck in postgame traffic TWICE in a day? What am I? NUTS?

That's your problem with Monday night basketball right there.

If enough people go on Saturdays, that'll spill over to Monday nights.

But when you're doing this whole "We want to sell the same seat to two different season ticket holders"........

And then to try and drum up support among other Summit schools (that have been doing things this way for years) instead of fixing your own problems......

Mirror scheduling? SNORT! Because they want every school to have to find staffers for basketball games EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND OF THE SEASON?

If you're a member of the tinhat society, mirror scheduling can also be perceived as an attempt to undermine attendance at SDSU games, as I would venture to guess SDSU fans, on average, drive farther to get to Frost Arena than any other group of fans drive to any other venue. How many Sioux Falls fans are going to drive up for Oakland MBB on one Saturday and WBB the next?

Comment

Working...
                        X