Catching Tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Tennessee

#17 Tennessee lost today, albeit to #13 Florida (as did #12 Ohio State, to Michigah State). What are the odds Jacks move ahead of the legendary women's basketball program in the new ESPN poll?

Re: Catching Tennessee

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    #17 Tennessee lost today, albeit to #13 Florida (as did #12 Ohio State, to Michigah State). What are the odds Jacks move ahead of the legendary women's basketball program in the new ESPN poll?
    I think probably not till we beat a really big name team,like Maryland, Texas, any ranked team from this year, which we can only meet those teams in the Ncaa tournament.The final ranking of the year , is how well everyone does in the dance, we'll be there!And it will have a carry over effect on next years pre-season poll

Comment

Not sure if we will this week, but another loss by them and we would pass them if we keep winning. Then they will be like several other major programs that are in "down" years for their program.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I'm not so sure. There are a lot of poll voters who will look at Tennessee, and look at SDSU, and go "seriously?" And mark Tennessee above SDSU regardless of any other considerations.

The solution of course would be to meet and beat the Lady Vols in the NCAA tournament.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          I'm not so sure. There are a lot of poll voters who will look at Tennessee, and look at SDSU, and go "seriously?" And mark Tennessee above SDSU regardless of any other considerations.

The solution of course would be to meet and beat the Lady Vols in the NCAA tournament.
          Every team in the SEC is currently in the top 100 RPI. To have a winning record against that type of competition is phenomenal. And TN OOC has been peppered with a who's who in 2008-2009 discussions this year.

With that said, this appears to be a great year to play TN in the Dance to advance to the sweet 16 or elite 8.

Comment

Tennessee has six regular season games left, including two against ranked opponents (Duke #4 and Vanderbilt #20) and one against LSU, who is getting votes but is not in the top 25. The Vols currently have 4 losses (while two other top 25 have five -- Texas and Vanderbilt).

I'm not sure what the threshhold is for losses with AP voters, but the top teams have a lot better toehold on it (Tennessee is getting 594 votes, and SDSU 135 -- so you can see the mountain that has to be climbed.)

I believe that Tennessee would have to lose to Duke (and they get them at home) AND lose to either Alabama, Kentucky, or Mississippi State (unranked opponents) for us to even have a shot. A loss to Duke AND a loss to either Vanderbilt or LSU would still keep them ahead of us IMO. Final thought: the only two road games are at Alabama and LSU -- so that if they do lose to Duke at home, keep your eyes on Baton Rouge!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

I would agree with this statement. And quite frankly, Tennessee has earned that with what they have done with their program. I mean, to be rated 17 and to consider that a somewhat down year, that is where all programs in any sport should strive to be at.

Comment

Working...
              X