Laurie Melum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurie Melum

Rightfully, a lot of praise is given to AJ for his coaching abilities. However, the lifeblood to a program is recruiting. Laurie Melum is generally the first person to have contact with potential recruits. How she handles those initial meetings is absolutely critical. Plus, she has the opportunity to meet parents.

She is impressive. Great personality, great smile and she really cares. And yes, she has quite a story to share to the recruits - success on the floor and success in the classroom.

We wouldn't have nearly the success without Laurie. Of that, I am convinced.

Re: Laurie Melum

Laurie's stock is only improving, and it won't be too long, IMO, before she'll be able to take her pick of coaching opportunities even in the BCS (although not necessarily with your traditional BCS powers).

Comment

Laurie is great! She and AJ are a great team and she is an equal participant in the success of the Jacks. Assistant coaches often don't get the credit they are due...and in this case, I'm glad that Jacks' fans know how valuable she is to the team.

Comment

We have been very lucky to retain Laurie all this time. I would not be surprised if she were to test the market, that she would connect very easily with a bigger and more profiled program. She has such a great image, and is very knowledgeable.

Comment

I agree that it is only a matter of time, before we lose Laurie. But I also think that in the next year or 2 we may be looking for a head coach as well. With the success that they have had, Laurie may not be the only one with a BCS job.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan 93 View Post
            I agree that it is only a matter of time, before we lose Laurie. But I also think that in the next year or 2 we may be looking for a head coach as well. With the success that they have had, Laurie may not be the only one with a BCS job.
            At this point in time, AJ's office isn't anything to write home about, he could use another assistant, and it would be nice if he had more money.

But that's about it.

He's got everything else. Top 50 fan support, top 25 team.... Heck, more than half the BCS schools out there couldn't offer him what he has now.

-----

And again, I ask, what is wrong with us, that we can't enjoy the good things we've got? That we, collectively, think so ill of ourselves, that we don't consider what we have to offer as amounting to much at all in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

bigger program's mean more expectations from the coach, more critisism(sp) from big shot alumni($) when they lose, etc,etc......grass not alway's greener on the other side, but if you're successful, the rewards are greater too, each individual has to weigh(sp) many pro's & con's before they take the plunge, so to speak.

Comment

I hate even mentioning the thought of this possibility. I choose not to think about it right now because I just want to enjoy the current season. I'll deal with that pain if/when it comes about.
                All that being said, it would be tough to leave because of what they've built/got here.

zooropa said it best.

Add to that we have landed some top notch recruits, and there will be more on the way. There's something to be said for building a dynasty and job security.

Comment

Laurie does a tremendous job. One thing she's largely responsible for is keeping the students athletes' schedules organized on the road. If you travel with the team, you see that everything is precisely scheduled, including study time. Laurie's a great basketball coach and recruiter, and she's also a very capable "head of basketball operations".
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                  X