This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IUPUI Game thread

Maybe future football threads of such nature can be moved to the smack section at least...

Lesson learned, on to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
      In defense of bluehatman, I think there is a double standard at work here. Every week during football season there were threads making light of the appearance of opposing players. Bluehatmans post is really no different.

That being said, I thought the football posts were inappropriate as was this one.
      Let's just be honest. It's a gender thing.

It's one thing to pick on big, tough football players, some of whom are trying to look big, ugly and mean in their mug shots. Doing the same thing to the women just doesn't feel right. Sort of like a brother-sister thing. You can tease my brother and tell him that he looks like Herman Munster. Heck, I'll probably pile right on with you. But you tell my sister she's ugly, and I'll punch you in the neck.

I don't see it as a double standard, rather as comparing apples and oranges.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
        Let's just be honest. It's a gender thing.

It's one thing to pick on big, tough football players, some of whom are trying to look big, ugly and mean in their mug shots. Doing the same thing to the women just doesn't feel right. Sort of like a brother-sister thing. You can tease my brother and tell him that he looks like Herman Munster. Heck, I'll probably pile right on with you. But you tell my sister she's ugly, and I'll punch you in the neck.

I don't see it as a double standard, rather as comparing apples and oranges.
        Not to mention the football threads were look-a-like and were not as out of line as this. Heck I got a good laugh out of the guy who posted Harris and our new president.

BHM pretty much called this girl fat and ugly. Not cool at all.

Comment

Bluehatman has requested that his userid be deleted. I have accommodated that request.

-filbert

Comment

Originally posted by adminhare View Post
            Bluehatman has requested that his userid be deleted. I have accommodated that request.

-filbert
            Yikes. People were super cereal about this whole deal I guess. (See South Park, ManBearPig for clarification) Granted the post was out of line, but I now kind of feel bad for the ol BHM now that he is no longer a member. At least in his prior capacity.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

"And so does 6'5", 250 pound troll Julia Whitted (as pictured here) lovely isn't she."

I had to go back and read BHM's post. The first time I read it I did compare it to the football threads with the look-alikes. But when I read it this time, I must have skipped over the "troll" comment. Leave out the "troll" and "lovely isn't she" and BHM is just pointing out they have a big center for the Jacks to deal with. Not all of us are beauty contest winners and we shouldn't be criticing others. But with that in there, it isn't very nice towards the girl and I'd rather the IUPUI fans not think that is what we are about in the opening statement of their game thread. I wish BHM the best with his writings outside of the forum.

By the way KU, that episode is FUNNY!!! Excelsior (I believe that is what "Al Gore" says before he "flys away").
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                In defense of bluehatman, I think there is a double standard at work here. Every week during football season there were threads making light of the appearance of opposing players. Bluehatmans post is really no different.

That being said, I thought the football posts were inappropriate as was this one.
                I don't agree with the double standard angle. This case was taking an actual picture of a player and making fun of her appearance. The football threads (at least when I saw them) were taking a picture of another person, etc that bore some resemblance or common feature with that player.

For the record, I wasn't a fan of the football look alike threads either and after glancing at the first couple of them I stopped opening them.

One last point, if someone wanted to start a look alike thread for this opponent, it should be in a seperate thread not in the game thread.

Let's concentrate on the game and this great team we have to root for.
                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Agreed on not liking the football threads, either. I think it's classless.

One of the things I hate about internet blogging is the number of faceless assassins who will take personal shots at people while hiding behind a computer screen. Understandably, we get upset with Stu Whitney but we know his face and where he works.

Comment

Here is my problem with what BHM did, he's a journalist for the Register that follows SDSU events, even covering a women's game when I was sick and couldn't cover it. I know he is a huge fan of SDSU athletics, but in order for him to be a good journalist he needs to be objective and sometimes his pride in SDSU shines through.

Comment

Generally, I'd prefer that we root FOR our team and our players and not AGAINST the other team. We want to be different than some places and give their student athletes a good experience when they come here. That good experience includes seeing how tough it can be to play here while still treating them with respect. We want them to have a first class experience while they're losing the game.

I have never liked hearing people in our house making fun of opposing players.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        Generally, I'd prefer that we root FOR our team and our players and not AGAINST the other team. We want to be different than some places and give their student athletes a good experience when they come here. That good experience includes seeing how tough it can be to play here while still treating them with respect. We want them to have a first class experience while they're losing the game.

I have never liked hearing people in our house making fun of opposing players.
                        I remember after the WNIT, while all of us were standing around watching the press conference on the video board, applauding the Illinois State Redbirds as they gathered up their stuff behind the visitors bench and headed out of the arena. Was a pretty class thing to do.

As far as the comment about the IUPUI center, I agree that there is a double standard, and more to the point, I think there SHOULD be a double standard.

Go to a store sometime. Try and find makeup for guys, try and find nailpolish for guys, compare the relative sizes of the clothing and jewelry selections.

It is a fact of life that this culture makes physical appearance a defining part of who women are and how they see themselves. The culture we live in expects women to spend more time and money on their appearance and to be more concerned about their appearance than men, and as long as that's the case we should act ethically, and leave physical appearance off the table when discussing female student athletes.

----

And, BTW, media photos are seldom flattering. For men or women.

Comment

Looks like Oakland on its way to thumping ORU on the road today. Go Jacks!

Comment

I think its time to close this thread and open one for the game only.

Comment

Originally posted by adminhare View Post

-filbert
                              I've screwed up many times in my 64 years. An apology with request to remove the offending post might have showed more maturity.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                                I think its time to close this thread and open one for the game only.
                                I agree!

Comment

Working...
                                X