This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketty

I don't really want to pick on her but I thought she would be the leader for this team. I don't think she's the next Megan V. but I thought her and Jen would be the leaders of this team(Maria and Rotert after them). She hasn't shot well all year. I know the men's team needs Kai but he's even having a better year than she is.
    Ketty- FG-.315
    Reb- 3
    PPG- 7
    Kai- FG-.353
    Reb- 6
    PPG- 9.6
    Am I giving Ketty more credit/blame than she deserves? Is she just a role player or did/does other people think she'd be a leader?

Re: Ketty

This is just me, but having followed her in high school and now into her third year of college bball, I do think she is having an off year. I don't think she ever, at least not that I remember, struggled like this in High school so I am wondering if she just isn't sure how to work through it. I have no doubt in my mind that she is a great player. I wonder too if she isn't a bit intimidated looking at the bench and seeing several players who could step up and fill her role, something she honestly has never had to deal with.

I firmly believe she is a GREAT ball player and I think by the end of the season she will have worked it out.

Comment

I think it's a mental thing , if you're a great athlete , which she is, & you get over whatever it is affecting your play , you'll see a lot of leadership, from her yet this season.

Comment

Maybe it's the fact than any starter or the first couple of bench players can actually score 20+ points in a given night. They don't need to have the 'star' player. I think Ketty will come out of it OK. I guess I don't care if someone scores a ton of points, just play smart basketball and that will help the team just as much. Do the other things to help the team (rebound, don't turn the ball over, make the extra pass that sometimes doesn't show up in the stats).
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

if ketty could get hot, it would give our team another weapon. she has been a dissapointment so far this season. but their is definaetly still time for her to change this around.

Comment

Although IIRC, she was burning out the lights for a half (Centenary/ORU) and basically carried the team that game. She is a solid, important part of the puzzle called Jackrabbit WBB team. She will be a partner, but Jenn W will be the "sparkplug" leader this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
              Maybe it's the fact than any starter or the first couple of bench players can actually score 20+ points in a given night. They don't need to have the 'star' player. I think Ketty will come out of it OK. I guess I don't care if someone scores a ton of points, just play smart basketball and that will help the team just as much. Do the other things to help the team (rebound, don't turn the ball over, make the extra pass that sometimes doesn't show up in the stats).
              I understand your point about scoring.
              I was thinking about the "other" parts of the game, too. She was rebounding better but over the last 4 games, she has 4 rebounds and 6 turnovers. My whole point is that I thought she would get more rebounds and shoot about .420 from the field.
              I'm sure she will come out of it. I have high hopes for her because when tourney time comes around, she will be an important part of how far this team can go. Along with Kristin and Jill.

Comment

I just think that if she does not improve much she could get bummed to the bench. Jill young is showin she can shoot the 3 and can get some rebounds which Ketty is not doing either real well now. The only thing I don't know if either players Defense is head and shoulders above the other. I think this team is so excitied to do well they are rushing and not thinking. Rotert I feel is forcing shots. Glimpses of Jen and Maria not Being assertive enough in the post. Hustle for rebounds. I know its the only bad game they really played this year, but this shows what can happen when they do not have that bad half/great half game. When they play 2 bad halfs it can be really bad. I agree with Coach Bobby Knight that if you lose all it does is prove is somebody is better then you and thats they only lesson there is, but maybe this loss will settle the team down and get um focused playin quality ball again. Ketty is too go to be stuck in a rut, I would not expect this to last. Her mid range jump shot is great and I think when this team figures out a few things like how to play a complete game Ketty and the rest of um will be able to really assert their game plan and start really dominating the rest of the league.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It seems to me we may be reading a whole lot into this. She has struggled a little but she is a huge competitor and will come back. The coaches will address it with her and the team will continue on.

The team will learn from the last few games and it will serve them well at the end of the season. No need to tinker with the formula or reinvent the wheel.

You may end up with something like this:

The next opponent is in real trouble!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

AJ on Ketty:

"Confidence is an issue....Ketty needs to start looking at herself as not just a good player in the state of South Dakota or a good player at SDSU but as a good player in Division one basketball at a very high level, and that doesn't mean that she can do what she wants, but it means she has the ability to go out there and make plays. She doesn't need to search for that confidence everyday, it should just be there."

http://www.brookingsradio.com/sports-show.html

c. 9:00 mark

Comment

I think we need to leave her alone.

Comment

BTW, I'm in favor of closing this thread...... I'm not a fan of this kind of super close scrutiny of 20-21 year old people.....

FWIW, Mike Gundy made a rear end out of himself protesting that article in the Oklahoman, but he was right about one thing: You don't go after players the way Jenni Carlson went after Bobby Reid. Doesn't matter if they're starting quarterbacks for BCS schools, there are certain things that are off-limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                          I think we need to leave her alone.
                          Either that or we can talk about how we all struggled with stuff when we were in college.

Man, when I was a freshman I hated Calc II.

I had to walk all the way from Waneta Hall to Ag Engineering at 9:30 in the morning in order to attend a lecture by Dr. Broschat that was impossible to follow, and to this day, the fact that I learned anything at all, let alone escaped from the class with a C is a matter of no small astonishment to me.

Too bad no one was around to start an internet thread about why, exactly, I was having such a hard time memorizing formulas for integrals that could be solved symbolically.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            Either that or we can talk about how we all struggled with stuff when we were in college.

I had to walk all the way from Waneta Hall to Ag Engineering at 9:30 in the morning in order to attend a lecture by Dr. Broschat that was impossible to follow, and to this day, the fact that I learned anything at all, let alone escaped from the class with a C is a matter of no small astonishment to me.

Too bad no one was around to start an internet thread about why, exactly, I was having such a hard time memorizing formulas for integrals that could be solved symbolically.
                            Environmental Chemistry with Dr. Rice!

Ketty will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

Dating yourself zoo! How long has Broschat been gone? Is Waneta still a dorm? Probably ate at Medary Commons with the Hanson C'boys too! LOL OK Thread drift!!!

I'll lock, because it's the safe thing to do. PM me guys if you have some CONSTRUCTIVE input to help Ketty / WBB team along. Otherwise, we are being the classic armchair QB's (or in this case BB forward).

Ketty is an important part of what is probably the best team ever at SDSU. We wish her, and all the team great success.

Comment

Working...
                              X