AJ plays hardball on guarantee games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ plays hardball on guarantee games

Vandrovec's Tuesday Tidbits (discussing the future of the SDSU-Minnesota women's basketball series):
    Jacks coach Aaron Johnston said that, although he sees value in the series on several levels, he will push for a home-and-home rather than another guarantee game. "All those others where we've been contacted about guarantee games we've said no," he said. "I'm not saying we won't play guarantee games, but we'll have to take a look at that. I'm not sure if that fits into what we're trying to do."
    So, SDSU is saying no to offers of guarantee games in women's basketball?

Innnnnnteresting . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: AJ plays hardball on guarantee games

Jacks are the #2 most successful team in D-1 in home wins. Jacks will attract crowds better than 70% of potential opponents. We have a star power, and are rising (as long as AJ stays). Managing to get home/home with Big 10, Big 12, MoValley and others can only improve the Summit and the Jacks standings in D-I.

Comment

I think that the Jacks have paid their dues and deserve to no longer be passive when it comes to scheduling. These ladies deserve to play the best on their homecourt. These supposed "big schools" like Minnesota and Nebraska are scared to play the women at Frost for good reason as the Jackrabbit Women are head and shoulders above those established D1 programs.

Keep putting the fear in 'em ladies. At least Wisconsin keeps their word...
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

That's why the Minnesota and Nebraska's of the women's basketball world will be middle of the pack teams and never reach the "next level"...that type of attitude from their coaches will be one of the reasons they underachieve. If they took on SDSU's schedule they would be better prepared for their conference season and post season. Kudos to the Jackrabbits schedule.

Comment

Although, if Tennessee offers a guarantee game......

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Although, if Tennessee offers a guarantee game......
            That would be interesting, especially in one household in particular I can think of. Hey Filbert, what would it be like around your house if that happened?
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              I think that the Jacks have paid their dues and deserve to no longer be passive when it comes to scheduling. These ladies deserve to play the best on their homecourt. These supposed "big schools" like Minnesota and Nebraska are scared to play the women at Frost for good reason as the Jackrabbit Women are head and shoulders above those established D1 programs.

Keep putting the fear in 'em ladies. At least Wisconsin keeps their word...
              I agree about Wisc. keeping their committment and playing in Brookings. Can't say much about Minn. or Nebraska. Must not have too much faith in their teams to win on the road.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

We'll know that the Jacks have REALLY ARRIVED when we get a BCS type school in FIRST on a home-n-home. So far, Jacks have played elsewhere first, and then get a return trip.

Overall, in looking over the 2008 schedule, I see no games begging "why did we schedule this?"

Congrats on the success of getting good opponents to Brookings. Everyone we play this season OOC was in the post season last year, and with 5 games at Frost, 4 at the opponent's home, and the 3 games of the Cancun tourney, which was featured three fabulous match-ups for the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  We'll know that the Jacks have REALLY ARRIVED when we get a BCS type school in FIRST on a home-n-home. So far, Jacks have played elsewhere first, and then get a return trip.

Overall, in looking over the 2008 schedule, I see no games begging "why did we schedule this?"

Congrats on the success of getting good opponents to Brookings. Everyone we play this season OOC was in the post season last year, and with 5 games at Frost, 4 at the opponent's home, and the 3 games of the Cancun tourney, which was featured three fabulous match-ups for the Jacks.
                  That's really pretty amazing and goes to show how tough the Jacks are this season. Hopefully the ho-hum conference schedule doesn't hurt us come postseason time as chances are there will be a big gap between competitive games.

Comment

Have not seen a 2009-2010 women's schedule as of yet but I do know that Gonzaga is visiting Frost next year. Also, A.J. or the athletic department has scheduled an away and home game with Iowa. Away in 2009 and at Frost in 2010. I think you will see additional big 10, big 12 schools coming to Frost in the future. Up until now we offered very little and were not a very attractive apponent for any of these schools. Everything to lose and nothing to gain if you will. Another post mentioned star power - don't know if we have star power or not but by coming into Frost and beating the #22 Jacks other teams will actually gain RPI points for doing so. Unlike the past 3 or 4 years. Not only did Wisc honor the schedule but so did Utah, Oregon, Missouri etc. But those teams only came in because of a 2 for 1. Two games at their house and one at Frost. We can now play the hard ball you referred to by standing our ground with home and home.

That #22 ranking gets a lot of attention along with respect.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                      That would be interesting, especially in one household in particular I can think of. Hey Filbert, what would it be like around your house if that happened?
                      Who'd be in the house? We'd be in Knoxville, baby!
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Who'd be in the house? We'd be in Knoxville, baby!
                        OR Frost! Just kidding Filbert...but the Vols may have to give us a home and home! (I'm not really all that cocky about our FIRST TOP 25 ever!!!)

Comment

UT picks up a 5 point win over ODU. Next up for ODU at home against Maryland. Should be a good barometer of the SDSU WBB team. ODU is getting honorable mention poll votes AND getting good competition at home too. Interesting; maybe teams are scared to come way out West to get some good away games on their schedule?

Comment

Working...
                          X