SDSU women play with mens basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU women play with mens basketball

As officially reported by TV, the women played Thursday night with a mens basketball. I knew the girls were good, but to make them play with a mens basketball??? Crazy.

This is beyond ridiculous, and deserves its is own thread. I'm not sure what the official policy of the conference is when F-ups like this are made, but I don't see how these referees should be allowed to ref another game this season because of this. Maybe I'm over reacting, but this is insane. Their officiating is terrible, they can't get choose the correct ball for crying out loud, and frankly serious improvements need to be made now.

Edit: I should mention I'm going by what TV reported on his blog, so if it is later listed that this is in fact untrue, I retract 'some' of my rant against summit officials, but certainly not all of it. They are bad, and have a lot of this coming their way anyway.
    Last edited by State_fan; 12-06-2008, 03:15 AM.

Re: SDSU women play with mens basketball

Who provided them with the game ball? I doubt the referee's brought their own. That is definetily something that should have been caught.
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
      Who provided them with the game ball? I doubt the referee's brought their own. That is definetily something that should have been caught.
      You can point fingers in several directions. But, the bottom line is that the officials are responsible to insure equipment being used meets requirements. A few examples:

Baseball officials check the baseballs and are responsible for rubbing them down.

Volleyball officials check the net and the balls to be used for air pressure and condition.

Football officials check the footballs for air pressure and condition.

I could likely go on with other examples but it certainly puts the emphasise on the official dropping the ball. No pun intended! One would also think that after it was discovered that the correct size basketball would have been put into the game? I would have also thought that the players would have noticed the ball being bigger and heavier than it should be? At any rate the officials started the ball game on the wrong foot and did not disappoint by continuing a less than satisfactory performance.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
        Baseball officials check the baseballs and are responsible for rubbing them down.

Volleyball officials check the net and the balls to be used for air pressure and condition.

Football officials check the footballs for air pressure and condition.

GBGBGJ
        Do hockey refs check the hardness of the pucks?

Comment

I wonder how often this has happened in the past during a D1 womens basketball game.

Comment

I would venture to guess not too often, maybe NEVER!

Comment

Commish Douple said it was a first for him when we chatted between games.

Comment

I don't know how SDSU does it but at BH the starting point guard goes over and picks a ball he feels comfortable with....

My point is how did that many players not realize it until the second half?

I don't play a lot of basketball but I can tell a mens ball from a womens ball.... these are players that have been playing since they were old enough to walk... have been playing with a regular size womens ball since grade school.... they should be able to tell what size of a ball it is right away.... it just seems odd...

Comment

A second-hand source told me that the girls did recognize it early, pointed it out to an official, not the coach, but were told it was indeed the right ball. Later, it was "discovered" by the officials that it wasn't the right ball, but they felt the game should continue to be played with the same ball...weird, if accurate. If so, I suspect they will be reprimanded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    A second-hand source told me that the girls did recognize it early, pointed it out to an official, not the coach, but were told it was indeed the right ball. Later, it was "discovered" by the officials that it wasn't the right ball, but they felt the game should continue to be played with the same ball...weird, if accurate. If so, I suspect they will be reprimanded.
                    According to reports of their refereeing throughout the game, I hope by reprimand it means they never ref in Frost again.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      I don't know how SDSU does it but at BH the starting point guard goes over and picks a ball he feels comfortable with....

I don't play a lot of basketball but I can tell a mens ball from a womens ball.... these are players that have been playing since they were old enough to walk... have been playing with a regular size womens ball since grade school.... they should be able to tell what size of a ball it is right away.... it just seems odd...
                      Don't know how bright most of the posters here are but I could offer an opinion if asked. As for our women's BB team, leading THE NATION in GPA the last few years seems like a pretty good indicator of a high level of intelligence. One last thing, I hope we don't do anything at SDSU because "that's how they do it at BH". Not sure how it happened, both teams had to deal with it, the better team won.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Don't know how bright most of the posters here are but I could offer an opinion if asked. As for our women's BB team, leading THE NATION in GPA the last few years seems like a pretty good indicator of a high level of intelligence. One last thing, I hope we don't do anything at SDSU because "that's how they do it at BH". Not sure how it happened, both teams had to deal with it, the better team won.

Took the words right out of my mouth/fingers MD!!

There's discussion and then there's that post....Sorry Joe, no rep points there.

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

Joe...please note my earlier post...the SDSU women did notice it and pointed it to an official soon after the start of the game, and the official said, no, it was the right ball. He/she was wrong.

Comment

Isn't there some kind of mark on the ball like an M or F as there is with the regular football and the kickers football?
                            As to the refs against ORU remember. God and Oral Roberts are tight and they can control things as to their liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Its crazy that this happened, but I would think that once you start with the incorrect ball you would indeed have to finish the game with the same ball. Otherwise you'd open yourself up to all kinds of issues.

For instance if they switched back and suddenly the trailing team went on a tear and came back to win the game. As stupid as this situation is, at least both teams had to deal with the same issue and had to deal with it throughout the contest.
                              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                              X