Illinois game thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Illinois game thread.

Great character shown by the ladies tonight. Rotert was the only reason we were even in the game. She singlehandidly kept us in it the first half.

Big, big win for us tonight on many accounts. And we did it with Ketty playing only 5 min. in the first half and none in the 2nd half.

If we can get everyone to consistently show up on a given night, look out! Hopefully that happens tomorrow against Montana. Game time tomorrow night is 6PM. See you all back here then!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      Great character shown by the ladies tonight. Rotert was the only reason we were even in the game. She singlehandidly kept us in it the first half.

Big, big win for us tonight on many accounts. And we did it with Ketty playing only 5 min. in the first half and none in the 2nd half.

If we can get everyone to consistently show up on a given night, look out! Hopefully that happens tomorrow against Montana. Game time tomorrow night is 6PM. See you all back here then!
      Why didn't Ketty play more?

Comment

Holy crap, I just saw 72 viewing on the WBB alone. Everybody burning off a little turkey before going to bed cheering for the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
          Anyone?! Don't write so quickly....

Comment

AJ's comments:

One of the poorest halves in many years...referencing the first half. Very frustrating.

Said Rotert looked like a different player today. Instead of wishing the ball in the first 4 games, today she shot and you felt like it was going in.

Started double-teaming Smith inside in the 2nd half. That caused some younger gaurds to take shots. Need to get better with our base defense.

Shot many more FTs in the 2nd half...that's our style. Ball movement was much better in the 2nd half...allowing us to get to the hoop. Did a great job a not fouling in the 2nd half...which keeps the pace of the game up.

6-13 from 3-land. Offensive rebound at the end was a huge play. Jenn needs to be more than a role player, a go-to player. Ketty, Kristen and Jenn all need to be go-to players. All 3 have shown they can do it but they need to be that way all the time.

Montana plays a lot like us. They are an excellent team. Postseason goals are the same.

With a team full of juniors and seniors, we don't play like we have a lot of juniors and seniors.

We need to find a way to be much more consistent.

Comment

Anyone?! Don't write so quickly....
              She didn't play much because she played really poorly in the first half. A lot of turnovers and i'm guessing defensively she wasn't getting the job done.

Comment

I would doubt that not getting it done defensively had anything to do with it. She plays tough D every game.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                  I would doubt that not getting it done defensively had anything to do with it. She plays tough D every game.
                  And I would completely disagree. She might play tough but defense is not one of her strong points. I'm not knocking on her. She is a great player/person and obviously someone we need on the floor in the future to be more successful.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    not the score i was hoping to check and see. Its possible for this team to score 40 plus points in a half and keep the opponent in the 20s so i have plently of faith in this team. although we are playing good teams here we have not really played well so far in the 3 halfs in mexico. Terry mentioned some teams might be distracted from the trip lets hope its not our ladies. lets get some points on the board and show another major confrence team what we can do.
                    not to toot my own horn but guess who said we could score 40 and keep them in the 20s and guess what the second half scores were. Dang near it. Sorry I couldnt help it. I had to brag myself up. im gettin a little warmed up with warm apple cider and cinnimin schnapps.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

things about last nights game. From Illini site ' Illinois had 13 steals for the game and turned that into a 23-5 edge in points off turnovers,
                      Smith added seven rebounds, four assists, four steals and two blocks to go along with her 22 points, while Simpson finished with 13 points, seven rebounds, four steals and three blocks. As a team, the Illini shot 59 percent in the first half and 47 percent for the game, while SDSU was on fire in the second half, shooting 63 percent in the final 20 minutes and 48 percent for the game' 13 steals!

From our site.'the Jackrabbits are 2-0 this season when trailing at the half'. That did not happen last year except once. Although they have yet to put together two good halves in a game (boy think what they could do if they did) this team does not give up. They seem to be playing more inspired this year over last year. I think with last years attitude we would be more like 3-3.

Comment

Hey~ thanks to all who posted as the Illi game was going on- GREATLY appreciated. What a game! Now excuse me while I prep for my Friday night date with SDSUFans.com, rabid rabbit fans, and a grain-based beverage!!!

GO JACKS!!!

Comment

Nice to see them win the close ones and come from behind. The talent is obviously there and if they can continue to improve and consistently play two strong halves, they will be a top 25 team very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                            things about last nights game. From Illini site ' Illinois had 13 steals for the game and turned that into a 23-5 edge in points off turnovers,
                            Smith added seven rebounds, four assists, four steals and two blocks to go along with her 22 points, while Simpson finished with 13 points, seven rebounds, four steals and three blocks. As a team, the Illini shot 59 percent in the first half and 47 percent for the game, while SDSU was on fire in the second half, shooting 63 percent in the final 20 minutes and 48 percent for the game' 13 steals!

From our site.'the Jackrabbits are 2-0 this season when trailing at the half'. That did not happen last year except once. Although they have yet to put together two good halves in a game (boy think what they could do if they did) this team does not give up. They seem to be playing more inspired this year over last year. I think with last years attitude we would be more like 3-3.
                            Tyler Merriam (sp?) and Terry Vandrovec have been discussing the games at halftime. They made a good point during the the halftime of the Illinois game. It is the first time SDSU has really missed their starting point guard, Macie. 13 steams would definitely prove that statement!

Comment

After her poor first half, she didn't see much time. She did come in and promptly turned the ball over (pass to her, one dribble, picked it up with nobody to pass to, and got double-teamed) and was out before Illinois could inbound it. She is struggling pretty bad...but we DO need her, and her talents, and I think it is just a matter of having that stretch of playing well, just as Rotert did last night.
                              Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

An extra good article by Terry today about the Illinois game. Some really good/interesting quotes in there from AJ. Check it out:

Jackrabbit women rally to edge Illinois
                                Rotert's 26 points helps SDSU climb back from 15-point deficit
                                Terry Vandrovec • November 28, 2008

CANCUN, Mexico - Call it a tropical escape.

Sophomore Kristin Rotert scored a career-high 26 points and senior Jenn Warkenthien bounced back from a benching to hit a crucial 3-pointer as South Dakota State rallied from a 15-point, second-half deficit to top Illinois 62-60 on Thursday night in the Caribbean Challenge MTE at the Moon Palace Resort.

Ultimately, the spirited comeback overshadowed the dreadful start. But just barely.

"I think I have every right to be extremely disappointed and extremely pleased at the same time," Jackrabbits coach Aaron Johnston said. "The second half does not cover up the first half. It's something we can't forget about. We've been inconsistent this year in a lot of ways."

"Obviously, the people that started the second half were the ones that were ready to play," said Warkenthien, who finished with eight points and two rebounds. "That's what we need from our team. We don't need five seniors and juniors, we need five people that are ready to play."

"We didn't play some of the people that played in the first half - I think that was a big part of it," Johnston said. "And I'm not putting this on the players by any means, but we need to show more maturity. For a team that has so many juniors and seniors we don't play like it often enough."

(read more)

Comment

Working...
                                X