Maryland Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maryland Game Thread

Well, I'm here in Cancun and will give you my take. We played a good first half, but had a ton of wide open shots that we missed. I think we were a little tense and not very patient. If we had hit even a near-normal percentage, we would have been up on them at half 10-15 points.

They made good adjustments and got more aggressive in the second half to be sure, but we still continued to struggle in shooting. Give Maryland's defense part of the credit. Kristi Tolliver is a top notch athlete and she can turn it on against better teams than ours, and she did against us.

Ketty and Maria didn't have great games...yes Maria, got points and rebounds but had a terrible time holding on to the ball. That happens. It just can't happen against a team the caliber of Maryland. Personally, all I wanted to find out was how far away from Maryland we are...and I'm pleased to say not as far as I would have thought. Having said that, we are still not top 25 no matter what we think. There are a lot of outstanding women players around the country and the top 15-25 teams get most of them.

Now give us one of the 25-50 teams and we will hold our own most of the time. I'm proud that we led them at half and the difference was basically three straight treys by Tolliver that sealed it for them. Now we just need to get back on track with the final two games here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      Well, I'm here in Cancun and will give you my take. We played a good first half, but had a ton of wide open shots that we missed. I think we were a little tense and not very patient. If we had hit even a near-normal percentage, we would have been up on them at half 10-15 points.

They made good adjustments and got more aggressive in the second half to be sure, but we still continued to struggle in shooting. Give Maryland's defense part of the credit. Kristi Tolliver is a top notch athlete and she can turn it on against better teams than ours, and she did against us.

Ketty and Maria didn't have great games...yes Maria, got points and rebounds but had a terrible time holding on to the ball. That happens. It just can't happen against a team the caliber of Maryland. Personally, all I wanted to find out was how far away from Maryland we are...and I'm pleased to say not as far as I would have thought. Having said that, we are still not top 25 no matter what we think. There are a lot of outstanding women players around the country and the top 15-25 teams get most of them.

Now give us one of the 25-50 teams and we will hold our own most of the time. I'm proud that we led them at half and the difference was basically three straight treys by Tolliver that sealed it for them. Now we just need to get back on track with the final two games here.
      Thanks for the first hand account Jacks#1Fan! Enjoy the sun and the cocktails down there as well! Cheers to the girls going 2-1 while they are in Cancun!

Comment

The Argus article about the Maryland game:

Cold-shooting SDSU women fall to Maryland
        Leading at half, Jacks watch No. 10 Terrapins surge in Cancun
        Terry Vandrovec • November 27, 2008

CANCUN, Mexico - South Dakota State went cold in the tropical climes of Cancun, and an opportunity to shock the women's basketball world disappeared into the warm breeze.

Playing in a ballroom against a squad that won the Big Dance in 2006, the Jackrabbits shot a season-low 32 percent from the field and surrendered a halftime lead in a 68-56 loss to No. 10-ranked Maryland in Wednesday's opening game of the Caribbean Challenge MTE at the Moon Palace Resort.

SDSU went flat after taking a seven-point edge late in the first half despite the fervent support of roughly 150 fans, the dominant faction in the 400-seat venue.

(read more)

Comment

Working...
        X