Signing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing Day

Here is a press release from the SID's office. Nothing new here just making it official:

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Five high school standouts, including four from South Dakota, have signed a National Letter of Intent, indicating they will enroll at South Dakota State University next fall and compete for the Jackrabbit women’s basketball team.

Signing Wednesday, the first day of the November signing period, were:
    • Leah Dietel, 6-1, forward, Jordan, Minn.;
    • Ashley Eide, 5-9, guard, Sioux Falls;
    • Tara Heiser, 5-9, guard, Watertown;
    • Katie Lingle, 6-2, center, Pierre;
    • Stephanie Paluch, 5-9, guard, Pierre.

Dietel (pronounced DEET-ull) has earned all-state recognition each of the past three seasons at Jordan High School. A starter on the varsity since the eighth grade for coach Paul Lambrecht, she has earned all-Minnesota River Conference honors each season, has been conference player of the year each of the last two seasons and enters her senior campaign with 1,879 career points and 1,051 career rebounds. As a junior, she averaged 18.7 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 2.0 steals per game in helping lead Jordan to a runner-up finish at the Class AA state tournament. Jordan has posted a 98-15 record with Dietel in the lineup.
    Dietel also has earned all-conference honors in volleyball and track and field. She tallied more than 1,000 career kills in volleyball and was a three-time member of the all-tournament team as Jordan won state titles in 2006 and 2008. Dietel placed second in the shot put at the 2008 state track meet and hold school records in the high jump, shot put, discus, 4x100-meter relay and 4x400 relay.
    In addition, Dietel is the top-ranked student in her class and is a member of the National Honor Society.

Eide (prounced EYE-dee) led Washington High School the 2008 Class AA state title, averaging 16 points and 10 rebounds per game, while shooting 54 percent from the field. A first-team all-state selection in 2008 and second-team honoree in 2007, Eide also was honored on the Sioux Falls Argus Leader First Five.
    Aside from basketball, Eide has qualified for the state track meet and has competed in softball and with the Dakota Gold soccer program.
    Eide has maintained a perfect 4.0 grade-point average and is a member of the National Honor Society.

Heiser (pronounced HIGH-zer) has received all-state recognition each of the past two seasons at Watertown High School. As a junior, she averaged 14 points, seven rebounds, five assists and three steals in leading Watertown to a third-place finish at the Class AA state tournament. As a sophomore, Heiser played a key role on Watertown’s state championship team.
    Heiser has lettered five times in track and field, winning an ESD conference title and helping lead her medley team to a runner-up finish at the 2007 state meet. She also has competed in softball.
    Off the court, Heiser has been a Girls’ State delegate, serves as senior class president and is a member of the National Honor Society.

Lingle was an all-ESD and all-state selection for T.F. Riggs High School in Pierre during the 2007-08 season, when she averaged 10 points, seven rebounds and two blocked shots per game, while shooting 53 percent from the field. A member of Pierre’ state runner-up basketball teams each of the past two seasons, she also has competed in volleyball and track and field.
    In addition, Lingle has played at he AAU level with the Northern Lites and Dakota Lightning club teams. Active in numerous school activities, she is an honor roll student.

Paluch (pronounced PAUL-ick) also will join the Jackrabbits after playing at T.F. Riggs High School under former Jackrabbit Lisa Kannegieter. An all-state selection in both basketball and volleyball, Paluch averaged 13.8 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.3 steals and 2.3 assists per game as a junior, when the Governors posted their second consecutive runner-up finish at the Class AA state tournament. She also shot 50 percent from the field and 85 percent from the free throw line in earning a spot on the Sioux Falls Argus Leader Second Five.
    Also in 2008, Paluch placed seventh in the triple jump at the state track and field meet. She is a class officer and member of the National Honor Society.

South Dakota State, coached by Aaron Johnston, has qualified for the postseason Women’s NIT each of the past two seasons. The Jackrabbits finished the 2007-08 season with a 23-7 overall record and won The Summit League regular season title. Having completed its transition to full Division I status, SDSU will be eligible for NCAA postseason play at the Division I level for the first time this spring.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Re: Signing Day

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
    Nothing new here just making it official
    Actually, Eide will now be on scholarship with Laura Nielsen's departure from the program.

Comment

Congratulations to these five student-athletes. Best of luck!

Comment

Look at those academic credentials! They could probably get into Ivy League schools with their academics alone. Great signing class, not only the top athletes but students as well.

Comment

The last thing I am trying to do is be negative so when ya'll read this don't put me in the group. My question to you guys that know this program better than me is this, "do you think that the way AJ freely substitutes will hurt when it comes to getting the very best talent in the future?" Certainly it hasn't yet, but sometimes players can get selfish about playing time and I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing. He seems to have a knack for not only getting talent but talent that seems to be unselfish. With players like Young, Rotert etc. that have been stars and record setters in high school do any of you fear that could change even with a successful program like SDSU. I am not trying to cause problems I am just pleasantly surprised how well this seems to work with no real stars on the team just everyone playing their roles. Kind of unheard of in todays society, kudos to AJ.

Comment

[QUOTE=boxerboy;92528]My question to you guys that know this program better than me is this, "do you think that the way AJ freely substitutes will hurt when it comes to getting the very best talent in the future?" Certainly it hasn't yet, but sometimes players can get selfish about playing time and I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing. He seems to have a knack for not only getting talent but talent that seems to be unselfish. QUOTE]

The style of basketball that AJ coaches is perfect for unselfish players. That being said....I don't think he wants or needs players that don't put the team first. Be it the best talent or not if the team doesn't come first SDSU probably isn't in the cards for that particular recruit especially while AJ is the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
              The last thing I am trying to do is be negative so when ya'll read this don't put me in the group. My question to you guys that know this program better than me is this, "do you think that the way AJ freely substitutes will hurt when it comes to getting the very best talent in the future?" Certainly it hasn't yet, but sometimes players can get selfish about playing time and I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing. He seems to have a knack for not only getting talent but talent that seems to be unselfish. With players like Young, Rotert etc. that have been stars and record setters in high school do any of you fear that could change even with a successful program like SDSU. I am not trying to cause problems I am just pleasantly surprised how well this seems to work with no real stars on the team just everyone playing their roles. Kind of unheard of in todays society, kudos to AJ.
              I don't want to see us recruiting kids that have the ME mentality. When our coaches, AJ included, go out and recruit kids its about SDSU and the team. I know you understand that and if a kid doesn't get that we don't want them here. At least that's what I have been told and I couldn't agree more.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Selfishness is something I haven't seen on the women's team. These women really like each other. They were all sitting together during the last home volleyball match. I don't think the substitution pattern AJ does is going to scare any potential player either. I think it shows incoming student athletes they could see a lot of minutes as a freshman.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                  I think it shows incoming student athletes they could see a lot of minutes as a freshman.
                  I totally agree and I think this is a big factor in getting all the talent that he does. It assures players who are used to starting almost every game while they are in high school will see at least some playing time as a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                    Actually, Eide will now be on scholarship with Laura Nielsen's departure from the program.
                    What is you source! Can we get the info from someone that really knows, not just the guy in the front row.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                      What is you source! Can we get the info from someone that really knows, not just the guy in the front row.
                      Man, there is nothing more fun than reading this board when someone has taken it upon themselves to personally attack everything that is written.

No one cares about the personal axes you choose to grind tatoo. Take it somewhere else.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Tatoo, I usually appreciate your negative and sometimes more realistic attitude on many of our subjects, but no need to make personal attacks against people.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Since BHM is helping the Brookings Register with its coverage of SDSU athletics, maybe he actually stopped in the HPER on the signing day and talked to the coaches (I hear some reporters talk to coaches and players). It was actually reported in the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...DATES/81112045
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                          X