SMSU exhibition game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMSU exhibition game

Just got back up to my computer after the women's exhibition game today against Southwest Minnesota State University and was surprised to not find a thread So will start this one by reporting that the Jacks defeated SMSU today 91-49 at Frost Arena. I think my memory is correct in noting that Maria Boever just missed a double-double with 23 points and 9 rebounds, while Warkenthien had a double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds.

A brief resume of some of AJ's comments on the radio after the game: felt much better about both the defense and the rebounding of the Jacks (I think they had about 20 offensive boards). Very pleased with Maria's effort as well, and noted that Ashlea Muckenhirn (who had four points, three assists and eight boards) has the kind of aggressive attitude that he wants the rest of the team to emulate. Kristin Rotert had 14 points.

He again played 11 players, with all getting a lot of minutes. Freshman Vanessa Johnson was in that mix and hit two 3s and a free throw. Jennie Surnarborg, the 6-2 freshman, came in with about 7 minutes to play and promptly get two baskets and was 3 for 4 from the FT line. Freshman Cala Westergard played but didn't score (and I also believe she is going to be redshirted).
    Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 11-09-2008, 10:01 PM.

Re: SMSU exhibition game

Thanks for the update #1. I noticed nothing was happening here and TV wasn't live blogging so I was a little out in the cold.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Just a reminder for those who might have forgotten...the women's games are now being carried by WNAX...on their AM station when it works out for them, or on their FM if not. The SMSU game today was carried on WNAX-AM, and my wife, who was on the way to Kansas City reported she listened to the game on WNAX.

Comment

Boy, I really should have checked the schedule better next time and not ASSUME the game was a night game. Nothing like going out hunting and hearing the game was being played already. I did see most of the women's team at the volleyball game on Saturday night (as well as some of the men's team).
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Listened to WNAX all the way home from Sioux Falls. Its nice to have their strong signal. Dominate performance by the Jacks. Boever really got us off to a nice start. Good defensive intensity.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://www.brookingsregister.com/V2_...d=3416&page=77

Jackrabbits run past Mustangs
            Posted: Monday, Nov 10th, 2008
            BY: Troy Maroney

South Dakota State's women's basketball game against Southwest Minnesota State Sunday was classified as an exhibition and the Jackrabbits exhibited a complete game in their 91-49 win at Frost Arena.

Southwest Minnesota stayed even with the Jackrabbits through the first four minutes of the second half, but SDSU built its lead to 41 points, 71-30 , by the 10-minute mark and led by 45 points three times in the in the final stanza. The Jackrabbits' shooting cooled in the final 20 minutes as they connected on 12-of-31 shots (38.7 percent), but 11 of the 13 players dressed saw at least 10 minutes of playing time as head coach Aaron Johnston used the tune-up game to incorporate several on-court combinations in preparation for Friday's season-opener with Missouri.

"I thought defensively we took some good steps for- ward; we were a lot better on the defensive end of the floor," Johnston said. "We had good pressure, we were a little more disruptive and we rebounded much better. Those were really the things that we had talked about.

"This is a really explosive offensive team, so I think sometimes people feel like we need to hit every open three and every shot, and still, to not be sharp offensively and still get 90 points on the board says a lot about the kind of team we have offensively."

SDSU outrebounded the Mustangs 57-33 as Warkenthien completed a double-double with a game-high 12 boards. Boever and Ashlea Muckenhirn added nine and eight rebounds, respectively.

The Jacks also held a big edge at the foul line, outscoring SMSU 24-9 from the charity stripe. South Dakota State tips off its regular season at the University of Missouri Friday. Game time is 6:30 p.m. in Columbia.

Comment

Working...
            X