2008/2009 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008/2009 season

Okay $1,000,000.00?'s from someone that lives a long way from Brookings.
    How much will the team miss Verdegan? How much leadership did she provide? Can Jill Young play defense? Is defense a strength of this team or will they be more offensively minded? Can they win a game if they make the Big Dance or maybe more importantly could they get a relatively low seed?
    I love college football, but these girls may have the potential to get more national recognition than any sports team ever to come from the Dakota's. For those that have watched them and followed them regularly please let me know your thoughts and predictions.

Re: 2008/2009 season

As much court time as Verdagan got at SDSU her last year and a half was not productive. Her last good game was aganist the Gophers. I was hoping for better things her last two years replacing Sieler.

Jill Young may be under sized and you may not think that she played defense in High School but she is quick and that is hard to tell since she goes at one speed. People think all Louie Krogman can do is score but he is one of the better defensive players I have seen around here!

Jill Young will hit the open shot and at this level with only one person (not three girls) in her face. Sitting a year greatly helped her get ready and now we have her for 4 years!

The one that may have a huge year is ROTERT! She is a great player and had an up and down Freshman year but she will make huge strides. Incoming Freshman Venessa Johnson is coming in College Ready and will have an impact!

You are right about the biggest mark on D-1 with this team. We will lose a couple of games and probably not the ones we think but they will not lose a league game and would not have lost one last year if not for injuries (4 players at one time).

This team is set up for strong defense and transition basketball and will be fun to watch!

Hope this helps you out! (IMO)

Sioux Falls, SD Season Ticket Holder

Comment

I'd have to disagree with tattoo about the assessment on Verdegan's contribution to the team last year (I thought she was a great senior leader and an asset in bringing the ball up the court), but would agree with the rest of what you had to say.

I think the team has the potentail to be every bit as good if not better than last season. We return Warkenthien, Boever, Cornemann, and Rotert as a solid core. Add another outside scoring threat in Young and a more seasoned Michelson at the point. Hopefully bring a healthy roster for a full season and add in some new recruits in Westergard, Johnson, and Sunnarborg.

I'm looking forward to see what this team can do. Should have every bit as much depth this year as last season and the lure of postseason glory to drive the women to work hard to make it happen.

Comment

Verdegan offered things to the team that didn't fill the stat columns. It's been my experience that really good teams always have a player or two who fill roles that don't require filling the stat columns. Verdegan was that for us. She was a leader, and you can't put a stat on that.

Comment

Thanks, for your replies. I see today that they have received another commitment from a top South Dakota recruit. It looks as if AJ's, continuing to get the cream of the crop in state. That is another positive in making this team South Dakota's. Get all the top recruits and let the yotes scramble.

Comment

IMHO, until another player settles in at the point to run the team, I'd expect a few early rough outings--unless one of the ladies really steps up right away. Verdigan was a glue-type player--she held the team together. Maybe she didn't score as much as she could have, but there's more to a point guard's game than scoring.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
              Okay $1,000,000.00?'s from someone that lives a long way from Brookings.
              How much will the team miss Verdegan? How much leadership did she provide? Can Jill Young play defense? Is defense a strength of this team or will they be more offensively minded? Can they win a game if they make the Big Dance or maybe more importantly could they get a relatively low seed?
              I love college football, but these girls may have the potential to get more national recognition than any sports team ever to come from the Dakota's. For those that have watched them and followed them regularly please let me know your thoughts and predictions.
              I think the team will miss Verdegan some. She was the most reliable player at getting the ball up the court. Macie is better at scoring and creating her shot. She is quicker at getting the ball up the court but a little out of control at times. She will get better with more experience. Verdegan was out played by a few point guards but not many. The gal from Creigton comes to mind. She played the whole game and outplayed both point guards.
              I think AJ will always have a offensive minded team. I know he is getting a "true' center but last year, his C and PF could shoot the 3. Anytime you have that much firepower on the court, you have to call it an offensive team. They do have a big gal(coming in) that can take care of other teams big posts. Our short team played good D but this adds a different twist(if needed).
              This is just a GUESS but I think they could get about a #13 seed. I would like to say higher but winning the Summit won't get you that much credit. They will have to win a few of the early games against the "big name" teams to get considered higher. I could be way off on this one.

Comment

I know Midnight Madness and the official start of practice is still a few weeks away. Any reports how some of the new players look such as Vanessa Johnson, Jennie Sunnarberg and Cala Westergard. Will be interesting to see how Jill Young will be used in the lineup and how she will contribute.

Comment

I am still very obsessed with the football season at this point, but am very aware that basketball is just around the corner. It will be very interesting the see how the Summit League responds after how the Jackrabbit women stormed on to the scene and kind of stole the show last year.

Go Rabbits.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                    I am still very obsessed with the football season at this point, but am very aware that basketball is just around the corner. It will be very interesting the see how the Summit League responds after how the Jackrabbit women stormed on to the scene and kind of stole the show last year.

Go Rabbits.
                    Ditto on the football obsession.

I think everyone in the Summitt League is aware of what the Jacks are bringing in this year and know that they probably aren't going to slow these ladies down. THEY ARE GOING TO BE TOUGH!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Just in case anyone is wondering, current graduate assistant Melissa Miller is a 2008 graduate of Northwestern (IL) University. She had 525 points, 564 rebounds, 118 assists, and 44 blocks as a 6'1" forward during her career. She played high school summer basketball for the Minnesota Metro Stars along with Megan Vogel.

Comment

I'll go back to Miller's days a prep star at Breck High School in Minneapolis. She was the cornerstone of a program that was one of the best in all of Minnesota regardless of class. What always impressed me about her was how hard she worked on the floor.

Comment

The Jacks are solid and deep at the 3, 4 and 5 positions. Michelson and Young likely will be stars on the outside.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                          X