Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wyoming- Game Thread

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
    I don't know.  It doesn't look like the best place to watch a game to me.  I'm curious to hear what everyone says about the arena. It looks more suited for rodeos to me with the circular seating.

The AA never had any rodeos. But, it has hosted several big-name country stars like Garth Brooks.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
      [quote author=joeboo22 link=1174617908/30#37 date=1174742338]There is a kid in my goverment class thats from Wyoming and has played in the AA and said it's one of the toughest places to play in. You're playing at 7,200 ft and are playing in a bowl and alot of players get real dizzy. He played a state tournament there and said he got real dizzy and most of the players he talked to said the same thing.... He knows one of the cowgirl players personally and when he talked to her she said that UW's goal is 10-12,000.....

The altitude is tough, no doubt. Oregon didn't seem to struggle, though, and they're coming from lower altitude than we are (430 feet versus 1647 feet here). These are elite athletes. They'll no doubt struggle, but they've got reserves that most of us don't.

Personally, I spent a few days in Laramie and was sick the whole time (felt like a bad hangover). So I know what your buddy is talking about.[/quote]
      I lived in Denver for a few years and played alot of b-ball while I was there. I think the altitude thing is a bit overrated. I'll be interested to hear what our Lady Rabbits have to say about it. Personally, I don't think it will affect them at all. Once the ball is thrown up for the tip, I think they will play as hard and be able to run the floor just as they do at Frost Arena. They've been conditioning now for 6 plus months, I think they will be just fine!!

Comment

Originally posted by reveroo
        [quote author=JimmyJack link=1174617908/30#38 date=1174743150][quote author=joeboo22 link=1174617908/30#37 date=1174742338]There is a kid in my goverment class thats from Wyoming and has played in the AA and said it's one of the toughest places to play in. You're playing at 7,200 ft and are playing in a bowl and alot of players get real dizzy. He played a state tournament there and said he got real dizzy and most of the players he talked to said the same thing.... He knows one of the cowgirl players personally and when he talked to her she said that UW's goal is 10-12,000.....

The altitude is tough, no doubt. Oregon didn't seem to struggle, though, and they're coming from lower altitude than we are (430 feet versus 1647 feet here). These are elite athletes. They'll no doubt struggle, but they've got reserves that most of us don't.

Personally, I spent a few days in Laramie and was sick the whole time (felt like a bad hangover). So I know what your buddy is talking about.[/quote]
        I lived in Denver for a few years and played alot of b-ball while I was there. I think the altitude thing is a bit overrated. I'll be interested to hear what our Lady Rabbits have to say about it. Personally, I don't think it will affect them at all. Once the ball is thrown up for the tip, I think they will play as hard and be able to run the floor just as they do at Frost Arena. They've been conditioning now for 6 plus months, I think they will be just fine!![/quote]
        Plus the media timeouts give a lengthy rest every four minutes of the game. It'll only be a factor if the Jacks let it get into their heads.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          [quote author=reveroo link=1174617908/45#46 date=1174772994][quote author=JimmyJack link=1174617908/30#38 date=1174743150][quote author=joeboo22 link=1174617908/30#37 date=1174742338]There is a kid in my goverment class thats from Wyoming and has played in the AA and said it's one of the toughest places to play in. You're playing at 7,200 ft and are playing in a bowl and alot of players get real dizzy. He played a state tournament there and said he got real dizzy and most of the players he talked to said the same thing.... He knows one of the cowgirl players personally and when he talked to her she said that UW's goal is 10-12,000.....

I lived in Denver for a few years and played alot of b-ball while I was there.  I think the altitude thing is a bit overrated.  I'll be interested to hear what our Lady Rabbits have to say about it.  Personally, I don't think it will affect them at all.  Once the ball is thrown up for the tip, I think they will play as hard and be able to run the floor just as they do at Frost Arena.  They've been conditioning now for 6 plus months, I think they will be just fine!![/quote]
          Plus the media timeouts give a lengthy rest every four minutes of the game.  It'll only be a factor if the Jacks let it get into their heads.[/quote]

Their smarter than that. Look at the team GPA again. #1. OKpokey can't say that.

Comment

Just recieved word that the ladies have arrived in Laramie. Sound like their short bus trip from Denver to Laramie took 4 hours. Snowing and bad roads in the area. As their bus pulled off into Laramie, interstate was shutdown. Hope this doesn't stop our fans from getting there.

Comment

Fan buses called it a night a Sidney,Ne.

Comment

I have KDLT TV on .... live from Laramie: Tim Peters. So, there'll be live reports on KDLT. Not sure if other channels will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                  I have KDLT TV on .... live from Laramie: Tim Peters.  So, there'll be live reports on KDLT.  Not sure if other channels will be there.
                  Need to correct you. Tim Peters is with KSFY-TV Channel 13 out of S.F. The reports will be on that network.

Comment

Good Luck!! Exciting times for all of us in the Dakotas. Go JACKS!!
                    www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                      [quote author=JackJD link=1174617908/45#51 date=1174791802]I have KDLT TV on .... live from Laramie: Tim Peters.  So, there'll be live reports on KDLT.  Not sure if other channels will be there.
                      Need to correct you. Tim Peters is with KSFY-TV Channel 13 out of S.F. The reports will be on that network.[/quote]

It'd be nice if:

A. KSFY could figure out that there's no such thing as the "Lady Jacks". Our women's teams are the Jackrabbits. They used that incorrect monicker about 50 times. And the anchor, Chris Studer, is an SDSU graduate. Ugh.

B. Tim Peters could pronounced AJ's name right. He called him "Johnson" about five times, including when he interviewed the coach. Hey dipstick...  it's Aaron JohnsTon.

By the way, here's a Laramie Boomerang story (yes, that's their local newspaper) about the game:

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news...StoryID=106417

Chad Lavin alert. He's in the story explaining how SDSU proves that teams competing in the NCC can be successful at D1. Always annoying to read anything that dope has to say.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It'd be nice if:

A. KSFY could figure out that there's no such thing as the "Lady Jacks". Our women's teams are the Jackrabbits. They used that incorrect monicker about 50 times. And the anchor, Chris Studer, is an SDSU graduate. Ugh.
                        I couldn't agree more, this is one of my pet peeves.

Go State!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...30/1002/SPORTS

Altitude could be a factor
                          SDSU set to play today at 7,220 feet

By Terry Vandrovec
                          tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                          Published: March 25, 2007

LARAMIE, Wyo. - Wyoming's Arena Auditorium, in addition to being on the edge of nowhere, is nowhere near as generic as its name implies.

The 15,000-seat arena is billed as the most elevated facility in relation to sea level in NCAA Division I women's basketball.

A brown sign that leads from the beautifully grained floor to the locker room reads: Welcome to 7,220 feet. How's your oxygen?

A little low, frankly, said several South Dakota State players after an evening practice. But they insisted that altitude will not be a major factor in today's WNIT quarterfinal at 3 p.m.

"I don't really notice it," Jackrabbits senior Megan Vogel said. "Basketball for 40 minutes is basketball for 40 minutes. You're going to get tired whether you're at the highest altitude or the lowest altitude."

Thin air doesn't win games, but the Cowgirls (24-9) certainly do. They're 13-1 at home this season - and 3-0 in this WNIT - in what has been dubbed the Dome of Doom. They are certainly not shying away from whatever atmospheric advantage the arena provides. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/...ts_3-25-07.txt

One win away from semis
                            Cowgirls know better than to overlook the Jackrabbits

By Ian St. Clair

spt4@wyomingnews.com

LARAMIE - Alright, so in this year's WNIT trek the University of Wyoming women's basketball team has played Nevada. More than likely a school fans know at least something about and maybe even heard of.

The Cowgirls have also competed against the likes of Missouri and Oregon. No doubt programs from big-name conferences fans know and have heard quite a bit about.

Now here comes this program, something called South Dakota State.

All across the Front Range that noise you just heard was every UW fan letting loose a, "Who? South Dakota State? They have a women's basketball team? There's a school named South Dakota State?"

Well, if you have not heard of something called South Dakota State you better get familiar with it.

You see, South Dakota State (25-5) enters today's WNIT quarterfinal with UW (24-9) on a 14-game winning streak. Its five loses have come against teams who all made the postseason - NCAA Tournament invitees Baylor and Marquette and WNIT participants Arkansas State, Missouri and Western Kentucky.

So all that stands between these Cowgirls and a trip to the WNIT semifinals is something called South Dakota State?

Believe it.

"This team plays very well as a group," UW coach Joe Legerski said Friday afternoon of South Dakota State. "They have their leaders, but they know their roles and play well in their roles.

"They play with a sense of urgency and toughness to compete and are just used to winning. And that's the most important thing - this team just knows how to win." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

[quote author=1bunnies link=1174617908/45#52 date=1174817425][quote author=JackJD link=1174617908/45#51 date=1174791802]I have KDLT TV on .... live from Laramie: Tim Peters.  So, there'll be live reports on KDLT.  Not sure if other channels will be there.
                              Need to correct you. Tim Peters is with KSFY-TV Channel 13 out of S.F. The reports will be on that network.[/quote]

It'd be nice if:

B. Tim Peters could pronounced AJ's name right. He called him "Johnson" about five times, including when he interviewed the coach. Hey dipstick...  it's Aaron JohnsTon.

By the way, here's a Laramie Boomerang story (yes, that's their local newspaper) about the game:

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news...StoryID=106417

Chad Lavin alert. He's in the story explaining how SDSU proves that teams competing in the NCC can be successful at D1.  Always annoying to read anything that dope has to say.[/quote]

It's so great to hear Lavin comment on SDSU(sarcasm included on that comment). This coming from the same guy who said we wouldn't have won the NCC women's title. Some teams might be able to compete in DI but his isn't one.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94
                                It's so great to hear Lavin comment on SDSU(sarcasm included on that comment).  This coming from the same guy who said we wouldn't have won the NCC women's title.  Some teams might be able to compete in DI but his isn't one.
                                If he was a smart guy he would just decline to comment or when he commented he would take an approach like AJ's and give credit where credit is due. I think one of the posters on the USeD board said something about class when referring to our population on this forum. AJ has it, Lavin obviously doesn't.

Any word on the fan buses? I hope everyone got some rest and brought their lungs. The high altitude might be harder on BHM and the fanaddicts than it will be on the players.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X