Comment

Re: IUPUI @ home

Originally posted by dozer1981 View Post
          Anyone hear a final in North Dakota
          63-42 NDSU, final.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

SDSU had 9 players with 16 or more minutes of playing time and noone playing more than 25.

SDSU shot better on 3's (62.5%) than free throws (60.9%)

Cornemann had 19 pts in 21 minutes
            Rotert had 17 pts in 24 minutes

Comment

Couldn't get Summit TV to work on my laptop. My problem. Just finished moving about 3 inches of snow of the driveway and sidewalk. Great to hear that the Jacks are defending homecourt. If we can win both on the road this weekend and take the other 3 at home we should earn a bye and home game for the WNIT. Get your ticket requests in now. Great peformance for Ketty and Kristin.

Fact remains, we need to make 3's to win big games. I'm alright with that.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The post game press conferences were on Summit TV. There was some difference of opinion between AJ and the IUPUI coach. AJ said that by playing 10 players the Jacks are able to see some teams wear down during a game but that the more important effect is cumulative thru the season for teams that are only able to play 7 or 8. Regarding the 3 pointers he said that now these are good shots that are being created by offensive spacing and ball movement whereas earlier in the season the team was settling for hurried shots. Rotert said the same thing about the 3 pt shots that they are getting now.

IUPUI's coach said that SDSU's deep bench had no effect whatsoever. Deep benches are common in D-1. The difference was the 3 pointers. Anytime a team stands out there and jacks up 3's and hits 63% they will win. Coach said #22 (Ketty) is not a 3 pt shooter, she just had the game of her life. The IUPUI player who as interviewed also didn't believe the deep bench was a factor.
                An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

[QUOTE=Walrus;77789]The post game press conferences were on Summit TV. There was some difference of opinion between AJ and the IUPUI coach. AJ said that by playing 10 players the Jacks are able to see some teams wear down during a game but that the more important effect is cumulative thru the season for teams that are only able to play 7 or 8. Regarding the 3 pointers he said that now these are good shots that are being created by offensive spacing and ball movement whereas earlier in the season the team was settling for hurried shots. Rotert said the same thing about the 3 pt shots that they are getting now.

IUPUI's coach said that SDSU's deep bench had no effect whatsoever. Deep benches are common in D-1. The difference was the 3 pointers. Anytime a team stands out there and jacks up 3's and hits 63% they will win. Coach said #22 (Ketty) is not a 3 pt shooter, she just had the game of her life. The IUPUI player who as interviewed also didn't believe the deep bench was a factor.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.....Ketty the game of her life huh?

They just don't get it obviously.....

Comment

http://www.iupuijags.com/news/2008/2...211084111.aspx

From this site:

"Ketty Cornemann matched her career high with 19 points, connecting of 5-of-5 three-pointers. Cornemann entered tonight's game having knocked down 3-of-18 three-point field-goal attempts in Summit League play."

So maybe I can see where they're coming from.

But still.......

Comment

Maybe she has struggled in Summit League play but she was shooting 33% on three's coming into the game.

CORNEMANN, Ketty.... 20 51 .392

Take out the 5-5 tonight and she was 15-46 (.326)

That's not too bad for a 3 pt %, in fact that would be 2nd on the team if she played for IUPUI.

Comment

[quote=SDSUJack3031;77790]
                        Originally posted by Walrus View Post
                        The post game press conferences were on Summit TV. There was some difference of opinion between AJ and the IUPUI coach. AJ said that by playing 10 players the Jacks are able to see some teams wear down during a game but that the more important effect is cumulative thru the season for teams that are only able to play 7 or 8. Regarding the 3 pointers he said that now these are good shots that are being created by offensive spacing and ball movement whereas earlier in the season the team was settling for hurried shots. Rotert said the same thing about the 3 pt shots that they are getting now.

IUPUI's coach said that SDSU's deep bench had no effect whatsoever. Deep benches are common in D-1. The difference was the 3 pointers. Anytime a team stands out there and jacks up 3's and hits 63% they will win. Coach said #22 (Ketty) is not a 3 pt shooter, she just had the game of her life. The IUPUI player who as interviewed also didn't believe the deep bench was a factor.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.....Ketty the game of her life huh?

They just don't get it obviously.....

I hate to break it to the IUPUI coach...that won't be the last "game of her life" against the Jags.
                        I'd be so bold to predict, that IUPUI's coach will NEVER get a win at Frost.

Drove up to the game from SF. Weather was brutal in SF, but as soon as I got to the Baltic exit...clear as a bell. I love when the SF stations put out Winter Weather Advisories for the whole eastern side of SD, because of course SF is really the only place in eastern SD that really matters...right??

IUPUI has some decent guards that slash to the hoop, but that "slashing" is limited because you've got a 6'5" 280 women clogging up the middle. Other than that, I wasn't too impressed with their team what-so-ever.

The Jacks didn't play as well as Saturday night, which with 2500 fewer folks in the building combined with how well they played that night, I wasn't surprised. Good home win though and in all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see SDSU/NDSU finish 1-2 in the conference when it's all said and done. NDSU being a distant 2nd, of course.
                        Really happy with the way the team is playing and hopefully they can win out and we'll all be fighting about Frost not being big enough come WNIT time!! Great problem to have IMO.

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Terry's write up in the Argus:

SDSU keeps league lead after IUPUI rout
                          By Terry Vandrovec
                          tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                          PUBLISHED: February 12, 2008

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State is sitting pretty after Think Pink Night.

By virtue of a 68-44 victory against Indiana-Purdue-Indianapolis before a crowd of 1,655 on Monday and another Western Illinois loss, the SDSU women lead the Summit League by two games with five to play.

But while the reason for the pink accents - neck ties, programs, balloons, table skirts - throughout Frost Arena was to raise awareness about breast cancer, SDSU hopes to remain oblivious to the conference standings.

"Regardless of what's going on around us, we still need to stay focused on what we need to do," coach Aaron Johnston said. "I'm pleased with the fact that we won tonight, but thought we were really complacent at times."

For instance, the Jacks (18-6, 11-2) endured field-goal droughts that began at 9:20 left in each half, missed six free throws in the final four minutes and gave up 10 offensive rebounds.
                          Yet it didn't matter, largely because SDSU was lights out from 3-point land in its 19th consecutive home win.

The Jacks followed up Saturday's 14 of 23 performance by hitting 10 of 16 3-point tries. Sophomore Ketty Cornemann - who did not score from beyond the arc the last time out - hit all three in the opening five minutes. The former Yankton standout made all five 3-point attempts on the night, tying a career high with 19 points, while freshman reserve Kristin Rotert added four 3s and 17 points, sparking the SDSU subs to a 29-0 scoring edge over their IUPUI counterparts.

(read more)

Comment

So, our bench depth wasn't a factor yet we outscored their bench 29-0. Hmmmmmmmm

Comment

This is what's fun about a conference.

You get to know the attitudes of some of the opponents in a way that you don't as an independent. And it can really become a motivating force for a rivalry. Think of how much fun it was to despise SUU and its lame football coach for the last few years in the GWFC.

Oakland's men's coach screams at his team "we're not losing to effing South Dakota STATE!" Makes me want to see our men get to a point where they beat his teams regularly. IUPUI's coach's sour grapes... makes me want to see her react like she did all game (slumped shoulders on every three) every time we play them. WIU's coach had similar reactions of disbelief as our women pounded on them. Over time, they'll start to believe, and it will be fun to watch.

This is one of the many fun things that I'm now remembering about being in a conference. Wait until we start the Gateway schedule. There are some pretty arrogant coaches, teams, and fans there (rightly so in most cases... it's a great league) and it will be fun, over time, to erase the smug looks from their faces as they lose to "effing South Dakota State".
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I really enjoyed watching Stacy O. battle their power forward(#33 Jernisha Cann). She had about 17 points and 14 rebounds for them. She is a physical and athletic player. It's not very often that you see players get that physical in the post. I think SDSU switching on who guarded her helped. She might have wore down some and that lead to her 6 turnovers.
                                I think their posts are an interesting pair. You have the 6'5" center and the athletic/physical power forward. I wonder what they could do if they had some shooters around them. We were double and triple teaming them most of the night.

Comment

Working...
                                X