Clear All

• WNIC Tournament - Life After the WNIT

An article from Terry V. in today's Argus:

There's life after WNIT
    Jacks could play in 32-team WNIC at end of season
    By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    PUBLISHED: January 29, 2008

Turns out it might not be WNIT or bust for South Dakota State.

A third NCAA Division I postseason basketball tournament is slated to debut this year, and event organizers are keeping an eye on the Jackrabbits (14-6), who reached the WNIT quarterfinals last season and are not eligible for the NCAA Tournament until next year.

The Women's National Invitational Championship - or WNIC - will feature 32 teams in a single-elimination event held March 24-30 in St. Petersburg, Fla.
    "I think it's all good for women's basketball," said event official Bret McCormick, a former Cincinnati assistant. "There are a lot of good teams that don't get to go to the postseason."

Tournament organizer Michael T. White is known primarily for scouting services, but he began a foray into major college events by holding a preseason WNIC earlier this season at North Carolina.

(read more)

Re: WNIC Tournament - Life After the WNIT

SDSU coach Aaron Johnston said that while he opposes expanding the Division I postseason to 144 teams (up from 96 in 2005), he might be willing to consider the WNIC - in light of his program's reclassification-based championship ineligibility - as more details are finalized.
    I would tend to agree that at some point you can have too much. Kind of like how half of the DI Championship Series football teams get into bowl games. Not everyone deserves to play in the post season just because they suited up and won half of their games, IMO.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Re: WNIC Tournament - Life After the WNIT

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      I would tend to agree that at some point you can have too much. Kind of like how half of the DI Championship Series football teams get into bowl games. Not everyone deserves to play in the post season just because they suited up and won half of their games, IMO.
      I have to agree with you on this one. There was a time (when I was a much younger person) when I could not wait for bowl season and would watch all the games. They were all pretty good match-ups. Now, with so many games, I don't even watch them except for a couple that catch my eye. I start watching about the day before New Years and then some of them aren't that good. I know it will never happen, but maybe there should be only 16 bowl games and a limited playoff.

Comment

Working...
      X