Back in action: UMKC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back in action: UMKC

Oops, forgot my thoughts on the game. There was still some sloppiness out there but I liked a lot of what I saw. They missed a ton of layups which is bad but I love how they were getting those looks at the bucket. Oh, we got to the line 44 times which is great. Didn't hit as many of those as you would hope for. Warkentien had 20+ with a lot of missed near the bucket where she is normally pretty solid. She could have scored 30 if she hit the little shots at a normal percentage.

Bottom line is they pulled away down the stretch. It wasn't the dominating performance of Saturday night but UMKC put up a much better fight. This team is moving the right direction. Starting to see the players comfortable. I hope they can make a run for the conference title.

Time for bed!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

From the UMKC Athletics website:

Brookings, S.D. -- Even with a perfect (6-of-6) shooting night pushing Alysa Klein past the 1,000 point plateau and a 24-point outing from Chazny Morris, UMKC wasn't able to pick up its first road Summit League Win on Monday, dropping a 76-63 result to South Dakota State.
      UMKC outshot the Jackrabbits from the floor, hitting 44.9 percent (22-49) of its shots to just 38.6 percent (22-57) for SDSU, but the Kangaroos sent the Jackrabbits to the free-throw line 44 times on the evening, where SDSU made 30, to just 12-of-14 for UMKC.

http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=18300

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        From the UMKC Athletics website:

Brookings, S.D. -- Even with a perfect (6-of-6) shooting night pushing Alysa Klein past the 1,000 point plateau and a 24-point outing from Chazny Morris, UMKC wasn't able to pick up its first road Summit League Win on Monday, dropping a 76-63 result to South Dakota State.
        UMKC outshot the Jackrabbits from the floor, hitting 44.9 percent (22-49) of its shots to just 38.6 percent (22-57) for SDSU, but the Kangaroos sent the Jackrabbits to the free-throw line 44 times on the evening, where SDSU made 30, to just 12-of-14 for UMKC.

http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=18300

I think the UMKC website said it best. The Kangaroos SENT the Jacks to the free throw line 44 times. Plus, in this persons humble opinion should have been more often. The ref's were kind to the Roos. It was not a result of poor officiating but how physical the Roos were playing on the perimeter to upset the timing of the Jacks. Did I agree with each and every call? Absolutely not. Was it a well officiated game? No such thing. I watched the U vs Auggie games a week or so ago and to think the NCC officiating is any better the than summit would be a stretch at best. Excellent composure by the Jacks to not get sucked into a rough and tumble style of play. Great win ladies.

Go big, Go blue, Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
          I think the UMKC website said it best. The Kangaroos SENT the Jacks to the free throw line 44 times. Plus, in this persons humble opinion should have been more often. The ref's were kind to the Roos. It was not a result of poor officiating but how physical the Roos were playing on the perimeter to upset the timing of the Jacks. Did I agree with each and every call? Absolutely not. Was it a well officiated game? No such thing. I watched the U vs Auggie games a week or so ago and to think the NCC officiating is any better the than summit would be a stretch at best. Excellent composure by the Jacks to not get sucked into a rough and tumble style of play. Great win ladies.

You were right on spot, Chains! I'm sure for fans listening to the game, the foul count would seem enormous. But if you sat near the floor and saw an aggressive defense that could have been called for a number of more fouls, you would understand. In the post-game press conference, the UMKC coach admitted that they thought the only way to beat us was to get up tight and keep us from shooting or penetrating. That would have worked pretty well in a game with no referees! There were some bad calls on both sides, but UMKC earned almost every one of their fouls, and in many cases, the Jacks wound up on the floor...hard. There were VERY few "touch" calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            You were right on spot, Chains! I'm sure for fans listening to the game, the foul count would seem enormous. But if you sat near the floor and saw an aggressive defense that could have been called for a number of more fouls, you would understand. In the post-game press conference, the UMKC coach admitted that they thought the only way to beat us was to get up tight and keep us from shooting or penetrating. That would have worked pretty well in a game with no referees! There were some bad calls on both sides, but UMKC earned almost every one of their fouls, and in many cases, the Jacks wound up on the floor...hard. There were VERY few "touch" calls.

This is good to hear, as I was not at the game, but watched it on Summit TV. I was suprised to hear from people at the game that the UMKC coaches where never really upset with the officiating, so that tells me that they planned to play that style of basketball from the get-go, and in turn the officials called it accordingly.
            One of those games where as a fan you just sit through and hope the ladies make their free throws and hope to win I guess. Which the Jacks did, so another good night!!

I still wish there was a little more flow to these Summit League games...men and women, because a lot of them have been tough to watch, speaking from a basketball fan's perspective.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post

Chains;
              I agree with your comments, mainly because on another thread you said you had worn the stripes at some level. Its really hard to put a finger on the refs and thats why I have given up trying to analyze the 'right-wrong calls. I am Norwegian but neither a Quissling nor am I a lemming but have come to the conclusion the call stands unless the refs huddle and reverse it before the ball is put back in play. To me the Summit does seem to have more aggressive defenses, and maybe just not UMKC. In my peanut brain, I often wonder are the established members of the Summit just a little smarter in dealing with the officating? They might know the refs better than we do and do they know what is often missed or how a specific ref makes calls? To me using this knowledge helps win games and I dont think a single member of the Summit is ethically pure.

One thing about the game that impressed me is we boxed out No 13 real well. According to the program, Elisha Klein was leading the team in scoring and rebounds. I dont think she got very many boards. The one time, she was totally boxed and could not get near the bucket on a offensive board. So our ladies did more than one thing right. It was a tough game and yes even I notice missed calls. On to Fargo.

Comment

It is worth mentioning that Oral Roberts lost at home for the 2nd game in a row last night against IUPUI. That puts SDSU (6-2) in sole possesion of 2nd place in the Summitt League, two games back of W. Illinois (7-0). W. Illinois plays at home against Oakland (3rd) and IPFW (5th) this coming weekend. An upset by one of those two teams would be really helpful.

Comment

Working...
                X