Annual Border Battle with Wyoming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annual Border Battle with Wyoming?

I think everybody agrees that SDSU wouldn't play there home game in rapid but if it was a year in and out nuetral court game I think it would be a win win situation. If it takes a nuetral court game to get a quality appoinent like Wyoming I say go for it. Again though like others have said it would have to turn a profit for it to happen. I believe that it would be a sell out for these reasons.

1. Its not that long of a drive for the above average fan and the black hills have plenty of tourism places to occupy people before and after.
    2. The SDSU fan from west river would attend... When SDSU played NDSU I was at a BHSU game and there was 2 guys wearing SDSU hoodies and I asked them if SDSU was going to win they said I shure hope they beat NDSU and both said if the weather was decent that they would of attended... I know thats a select few but I believe that if a game in the black hills would be available that it would be attended well from locals.
    3. The city of Rapid wants to promote the Civic Center as much as possible so they can justify approving the money for their new arena, so I believe that they would be top notch as for hosting the event and promoting it.

You also have to remember that Rapid has plenty of hotel space and doesn't have any thing close to D-I basketball.. Sioux Falls has a top NAIA program in USF, a D-II program in Aguie and a NBADL team in the Skyforce.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
      I think everybody agrees that SDSU wouldn't play there home game in rapid but if it was a year in and out nuetral court game I think it would be a win win situation. If it takes a nuetral court game to get a quality appoinent like Wyoming I say go for it. Again though like others have said it would have to turn a profit for it to happen. I believe that it would be a sell out for these reasons.

1. Its not that long of a drive for the above average fan and the black hills have plenty of tourism places to occupy people before and after.
      2. The SDSU fan from west river would attend... When SDSU played NDSU I was at a BHSU game and there was 2 guys wearing SDSU hoodies and I asked them if SDSU was going to win they said I shure hope they beat NDSU and both said if the weather was decent that they would of attended... I know thats a select few but I believe that if a game in the black hills would be available that it would be attended well from locals.
      3. The city of Rapid wants to promote the Civic Center as much as possible so they can justify approving the money for their new arena, so I believe that they would be top notch as for hosting the event and promoting it.

You also have to remember that Rapid has plenty of hotel space and doesn't have any thing close to D-I basketball.. Sioux Falls has a top NAIA program in USF, a D-II program in Aguie and a NBADL team in the Skyforce.
      I think Midd. Tenn. State, USC, and Marquette are big names that came in without a "neutral" court. All were some sort of "home" and "home." Which makes me wonder, when was the last time WBB went somewhere (other than a tournament or classic) and played someone on a neutral court?

I don't argue that the West River fans would love to see the Jacks play. All your reasons support that very well. (I still don't think that many people would show up to a game in the hills...like say 4,500, but thats another story) But I still believe that neither program or athletic department would ever go for it. The cost alone I think is enough to kill this idea. We would have to pay a guarantee to Wyoming, plus pay for our own travel, lodging and meals. For what ends up being a "away" game. No way. Just my thoughts as I eat dinner.

One other question: If it ever did happen, who would keep the gate receipts? Concessions? Etc.?

Comment

Can you smell it?  I think that it may be time to stop the flogging. I don't think that Seattle Slew is going to get up.  

Go State!  

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X