Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annual Border Battle with Wyoming?

Originally posted by joeboo22
    Why don't you shut up... I was suspended for calling a guy out that deserved it but I guess you don't even realize that. Its a forum I just posted an idea. Then when people like you twisted my words and said that SDSU should play there home game in Rapid which I never even though would be possible.. What I was saying was this.. If SDSU and Wyoming could get a yearly event in Rapid City I would support that being from West River south dakota it would give me a chance to watch the rabbits play...

Filbert if thats not an attack I don't know what is.
    I am inclined to agree with Joeboo22 that the attacks on him are crossing the line.

Agree, disagree civilly, or ignore him if that's your choice.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Not trying to say anything..but USD held an exhibition game in Rapid City....maybe an exhibition game sometime in the future wouldn't be a stretch? For those like my mother who holds her Master's Degree from SDSU...and all the old folk who are alumni and give money to the university. I'm just saying you guys would love the idea of having a game in California if John Wooden wanted to see a SDSU game near his home, but when it comes to people who donate, who graduated, who basically support SDSU, it's like why can't we have but one game in our area.

I mean right, how can WE west river South Dakotan's even THINK of such a horrible idea? Explain to all the west river SDan's you have at your college whether on an athletic team or just a student. When we think of it, we are all South Dakotan's. Think of those parents who would go support their children's school. It was just an innocent thought, noone said anything about being set in stone, so bluehatman and others the BIG SHOUTING OUT MESSAGES are very rude.

And it doesn't have to be the Wyoming game...could be just, like I said, a simple exhibition game anyway. Now I will finish this post by saying I drove 7 hours this past season to see both the SDSU men and SDSU women in seperate games and I was very impressed with the facilities and the crowd and I loved the crowd ringing those bells. Why can't people on the west side have an experience?

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops
        Not trying to say anything..but USD held an exhibition game in Rapid City....maybe an exhibition game sometime in the future wouldn't be a stretch? For those like my mother who holds her Master's Degree from SDSU...and all the old folk who are alumni and give money to the university. I'm just saying you guys would love the idea of having a game in California if John Wooden wanted to see a SDSU game near his home, but when it comes to people who donate, who graduated, who basically support SDSU, it's like why can't we have but one game in our area.

I mean right, how can WE west river South Dakotan's even THINK of such a horrible idea? Explain to all the west river SDan's you have at your college whether on an athletic team or just a student. When we think of it, we are all South Dakotan's. Think of those parents who would go support their children's school. It was just an innocent thought, noone said anything about being set in stone, so bluehatman and others the BIG SHOUTING OUT MESSAGES are very rude.

And it doesn't have to be the Wyoming game...could be just, like I said, a simple exhibition game anyway. Now I will finish this post by saying I drove 7 hours this past season to see both the SDSU men and SDSU women in seperate games and I was very impressed with the facilities and the crowd and I loved the crowd ringing those bells. Why can't people on the west side have an experience?
        At what point did anyone say we can't play an exhibition game out in Rapid? I think the idea for an annual or semi-annual game in Rapid is a reasonable one to entertain.

However, I'm not sure how much this has been discussed by people who actually make this decision. Obviously, regular season games have been played in Sioux Falls so the precedent for games not in Brookings has been set but its not a very broad precedent. The baseball team has taken advantage of the strong presence of baseball players from the Rapid area at SDSU so it makes sense for them to play out there. Now, if those in charge at SDSU feel Rapid is a place for a men's or women's basketball game, we might see it happen. If those in charge in Rapid were to court SDSU, I think it would be that much more likely.

I think a few people just got fed up with some far-fetched suggestions that came out of left field. Combine that with the indescretion a web forum allows for and people start chucking insults without much regard. (baseball opening day references)
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops

I totally agree with you! If SDSU is truly a statewide asset than why not share the wealth a little. Some of the possesive Brookings crowd had a fit when they have to drive last year to the football, basketball and baseball game in Sioux Falls. I think an early exhibition game or a Holiday game around Thanksgiving or Christmas would be wonderul in Rapid City.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            [quote author=SDHoops link=1174801521/45#46 date=1175534358]Not trying to say anything..but USD held an exhibition game in Rapid City....maybe an exhibition game sometime in the future wouldn't be a stretch? For those like my mother who holds her Master's Degree from SDSU...and all the old folk who are alumni and give money to the university. I'm just saying you guys would love the idea of having a game in California if John Wooden wanted to see a SDSU game near his home, but when it comes to people who donate, who graduated, who basically support SDSU, it's like why can't we have but one game in our area.

I totally agree with you! If SDSU is truly a statewide asset than why not share the wealth a little. Some of the possesive Brookings crowd had a fit when they have to drive last year to the football, basketball and baseball game in Sioux Falls. I think an early exhibition game or a Holiday game around Thanksgiving or Christmas would be wonderul in Rapid City.[/quote]
            I'm on record thinking that an annual Wyoming border battle in Rapid City would be a good thing. But the poor turnout for the football and the men's basketball games in Sioux Falls has cooled my ardor for the idea a little bit. Still, long term, I think the occasional game in SF and RC would be good things, and if we could talk Wyoming into an annual game in RC for men's or women's basketball, I'd say go for it.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Clearly the the attendence for the Cal Davis football game in Sioux Falls on October 20,05 of 7239 and the Men's Basketball game on Dec 20,05 against Manhatten of 2083 was dissapointing. I'm not sure we can draw conclusions from those games completely. It would be interesting to know who were those people sitting in the stands. Did the typical Brookings crowd show up or did they stay away in protest? I know there were not many students there. (Should busses been provided)? Did the University do everything it could to market the game to the Sioux Falls area? I would prefer games in Brookings, but think an occasional game in Sioux Falls would be good for many reasons. I also think if a football or mens and particular womens basketball game was held in the future in Sioux Falls it would do much better attendence wise as I believe the DI move is better understood and we would do a better job of marketing.

Comment

Years ago SDSU and USD went to the hills and played two west river teams. I know it was done when Mark Tetzlaff was a freshman because he was the MVP. We went and if we were to play a game in Rapid City we would probably go again. My only thought is that if we were going to play Wyoming home and home our game should be in Brookings. If there were only one and we did not have to go to Laramie than Rapid City would be ok.

Comment

if we play in Sioux Falls or Rapid, we have to do a better job of marketing the game. A couple of alums that I graduated with, whom live in Sioux Falls , had no clue we were playing Manhattan in the Arena.

Comment

I'd be all for an exhibition game in R.C.; but, not a regular season game.

Comment

I think it would be worth a try to play a game in RC or SF again. Do it over X-Mas break when the students are gone, and advertise well. Not a conference game obviously. I'm sure somebody in the athletic department has crunched some numbers.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Like someone said in earlier post, a game over xmas break sounds like a good idea.  SDSU can also hold a visitation day for juniors on down interested in the college (they sent my brother a card for one of these regional days), they can hold an alumni gathering, then top it off with a game in the evening. Could work well with an exhibition game as well. I'll tell you what, SDSU women would get one heck more of a game from BHSU or SD Tech than they would a team like UM-Crookston...!!

Comment

I think it would be a great idea - if it is an exhibition game, a regular season game(not part of a home and home - calling it a nuetral court) or even a holiday tournament. I don't think this is as far-fetched as some other ideas people have had on this forum, yet they haven't been called out this bad......While it probably won't happen next year, there's no reason to think it can't ever happen. SDSU is supposed to be South Dakota's university, not just Brookings' university.

Comment

Realistically, what has to happen to make any kind of annual border battle between Wyoming and SDSU happen in Rapid City, is that boosters of the two schools in the Black Hills area would need to demonstrate that the game (or double-header men/women) would sell out the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, and preferably would be aired live on one or more regional sports network (Altitude/FSN Rocky Mountain/FSN North) if not one of the ESPN networks or CSTV.

And I mean SELL OUT. And guarantee revenue to the two schools by the gate and the TV revenue.

That's the hill you'd have to climb to make the game happen, IMHO.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make that happen.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                              Realistically, what has to happen to make any kind of annual border battle between Wyoming and SDSU happen in Rapid City, is that boosters of the two schools in the Black Hills area would need to demonstrate that the game (or double-header men/women) would sell out the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, and preferably would be aired live on one or more regional sports network (Altitude/FSN Rocky Mountain/FSN North) if not one of the ESPN networks or CSTV.

And I mean SELL OUT.  And guarantee revenue to the two schools by the gate and the TV revenue.

That's the hill you'd have to climb to make the game happen, IMHO.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make that happen.
                              . . . and a few checks from some of the Black Hills area fans wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks15
                                if we play in Sioux Falls or Rapid, we have to do a better job of marketing the game.  A couple of alums that I graduated with, whom live in Sioux Falls , had no clue we were playing Manhattan in the Arena.  
                                Funny thing happened the day after the women lost to Wyoming. I had a doctors appt in Sioux Falls. He asked me where I lived. I said Brookings. He said, "Oh, are the girls gonna win their game tonight...er, or is it tomorrow night?"

I think it makes no difference what kinda marketing you do, fans will either be informed and come or they will chose to stay home beacuse of _________(enter your reason why here., weather, distance, interest, etc.)

I seriously see there being no way a WBB game would be held in Rapid City. What a distraction for the girls to have to bus all that way to play a "home" game. And then to play against a high caliber team like Wyoming? The Athletic Department and coaching staff would never go for that. A "home" and "home," possibly. Anything else is wishfull thinking for the fans in the Rapid City area.

Comment

Working...
                                X