Annual Border Battle with Wyoming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Border Battle with Wyoming?

I am sure it has been brought up before, but what are people’s thoughts about trying to schedule an annual Border Battle with Wyoming in Rapid City, SD? I would love to see it and I think it would be well attended. The Rushmore Civic Center is large and could host this event (I would think). With the hype for this game (at least from Jackrabbit Nation) about our current match up with Wyoming in the WNIT, it may make for a nice discussion point with the administration from each UW and SDSU. What do others think? Hopefully some Cowboy/Cowgirl fans can way in on this. Would Wyoming fans be willing to travel and meet us halfway in Rapid City for game every year?
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Annual Border Battle with Wyoming?

I e-mailed the Rapid City Sports Council on Friday suggesting that they try to set up a rematch next season.  I got a reply that my request has been forwarded to the manager of the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.

The site for the RC Sports Council is www.RapidCitySports.com

Perhaps a few more requests might help.

Comment

That would be great for both teams, there are West River Rabbits and North Eastern Cowboys/Cowgirls and Rapid it about as close to the middle as it can get...

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
        I e-mailed the Rapid City Sports Council on Friday suggesting that they try to set up a rematch next season.  I got a reply that my request has been forwarded to the manager of the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.

The site for the RC Sports Council is www.RapidCitySports.com

Perhaps a few more requests might help.

I sent an email and proposed the question. I wonder what their response will be?
        We...ARE...STATE!
        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

what about setting up either thanksgiving weekend or an early season kind of tournament.. Could be mens/laddies and be SDSU/NDSU and then Wyoming and a colorado school..(Air Force/CU/CSU) or Montana would be prety equal travel times if in rapid... Rapid has the arena and the motels to host such an event and people go to the black hills for other reasons and would be more inclind to come watch..

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
            what about setting up either thanksgiving weekend or an early season kind of tournament.. Could be mens/laddies and be SDSU/NDSU and then Wyoming and a colorado school..(Air Force/CU/CSU) or Montana would be prety equal travel times if in rapid... Rapid has the arena and the motels to host such an event and people go to the black hills for other reasons and would be more inclind to come watch..

Wyoming is in the Mountain West with CSU, Air Force, they play them twice in conference and arent going to want to play them again. CU has their own tournament and isnt going to want to come to Rapid. I think a better option is a home and home in Brookings and Laramie each year. Based on the Argus article this moringing both are having a hard time getting out of conference games. That would be a good series.

Comment

So your saying that a match-up in Rapid City wouldn't work? I can guarantee there would be a lot of people that would go to that game from the Rapid City area. Compliment that with the Wyo and State fans, that could be a hot ticket

Comment

Just a thought but maybe someone should be talking to AJ or Fred about something like this! Isn't contacting the Rushmore Civic Arena putting the cart in front of the horse?

It's a great idea and I think would be very well attended! How about a possibility of a men's and women's doubleheader?

The baseball game out there was pretty well attended if my memory serves me well, this should be an even bigger draw!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think the thing with talking to rapid would be to get them behind the issue.... I thought getting 4 teams and playing a weekend little tournament would get rapid behind it alil more because it would be whole weekend event. I do believe that it should be mens womens double headers if thats all they can get... There are alot of UW and SDSU fans in the black hills and it wouldn't be that far for the above average fans to make the trip.

Comment

How about Boise State and Creighton for Women? get some corporate sponsors to get the games televised, it could also show the NCAA women's committee that a state like South Dakota could be a growing hotbed for women's basketball and consider us for future (and I mean way future) NCAA tourneys (Sioux Falls Arena)
                    but again the little tournament wouldn't guarantee that Wyoming and SDSU would meet up...unless you made it round robin but if it was over thanksgiving, do you have a game on thursday or do you honor the holiday? I guess just a double header Wyoming and SDSU men and women would sound good

Comment

Somewhere in one of these threads ( I tried to find it) some one talks about what the arena can hold for bb games, it really is not that much, i think i recall it being around 7 or maybe 8k. So not sure that is a great reason to hold bb games in SF compared to our own frost, but who knows. NCAA tourney woudl be a whole diff story.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitz
                        Somewhere in one of these threads ( I tried to find it) some one talks about what the arena can hold for bb games, it really is not that much, i think i recall it being around 7 or maybe 8k. So not sure that is a great reason to hold bb games in SF compared to our own frost, but who knows. NCAA tourney woudl be a whole diff story.
                        Only 2,000 people watched Oklahoma in Denver during the first round of the 2006 NCAA's, 8,000 is more than enough. Even Montana had so much and still had a few seats open and they were hosting and playing at home...but with the ever growing interest of women's basketball in SD, 8,000 may be cutting it close... ;D

Comment

Sioux Falls Arena is 8,000+ and the Rushmore Civic Center Arena is 8,500+ I would rather see one of those venues full then seeing an 18,000 arena not even half full.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                            Sioux Falls Arena is 8,000+ and the Rushmore Civic Center Arena is 8,500+ I would rather see one of those venues full then seeing an 18,000 arena not even half full.
                            Then why do you want a new arena or more seating at Frost. Full at 6000 would be better than 3000 fans in a 10000 seat arena. As least that's what I think your saying.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                              [quote author=joeboo22 link=1174801521/0#12 date=1175115038]Sioux Falls Arena is 8,000+ and the Rushmore Civic Center Arena is 8,500+ I would rather see one of those venues full then seeing an 18,000 arena not even half full.
                              Then why do you want a new arena or more seating at Frost. Full at 6000 would be better than 3000 fans in a 10000 seat arena. As least that's what I think your saying.[/quote]
                              Well at frost we have the potential to fill it more then a lot of places do and 6000 just doesnt seem to be enough for possible future growth.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X