Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awards for the Jacks and AJ

From Gojacks.com:
    Megan Vogel repeated as a first-team all-Division I Independent selection, Aaron Johnston was named Division I Independent Coach of the Year for the second consecutive year and Courtney Grimsrud earned Defensive Player of the Year honors as the South Dakota State University women’s basketball team was well represented on the independent honor squad announced Thursday.

In addition, Jennifer Warkenthien earned second-team all-Independent honors and Andrea Verdegan received honorable mention recognition for the Jackrabbits. Selections were voted on by head coaches and sports information directors of the 11 Division I independent colleges and universities.

A senior from St. Peter, Minn., Vogel has averaged 17.4 points and 5.6 rebounds per game while leading the Jackrabbits to a postseason berth in the Women’s NIT. She would rank seventh among NCAA Division I players in three-point shooting, making 43.1 percent (59-of-137) of her long-range attempts. A three-time Independent Player of the Week selection, Vogel has reached double figures in 23 of the team’s 28 games, surpassing the 20-point mark 14 times. She scored a career-high with 32 points in a home victory against IPFW on Feb. 10.

Grimsrud, a junior from Sisseton, earned Defensive Player of the Year honors after leading the team with 44 blocked shots (1.57 bpg) and averaging 5.0 rebounds per game. She tied SDSU’s single-game record with eight blocked shots against nationally ranked Baylor (Texas) on Nov. 25, and pulled down a career-high 16 rebounds in a win over North Dakota State on Feb. 23. Grimsrud is the second SDSU player in as many years to earn the award, joining Heather Sieler, who earned the honor during the 2005-06 season.

Warkenthien earned second-team honors while posting averages of 9.9 points and a team best 6.0 rebounds per game. A sophomore from Willow Lake, Warkenthien has posted two double-doubles for points and rebounds this season, including a 20-point, 12-rebound outing against IPFW on March 1. She leads the team in free-throw shooting at 82.4 percent and ranks second on the squad with 30 blocked shots.

Verdegan is the team leader with 95 assists and 45 steals from her point guard position. The junior from Glen Flora, Wis., also ranks scond on the team with 38 three-pointers and third in scoring with an average of 8.4 points per game.

Johnston has led the Jackrabbits to a 23-5 record while leading SDSU to its first postseason appearance at the Division I level. SDSU completed a perfect season against Division I independents for the second consecutive season, running the table during the 2006-07 campaign with an 11-0 record. In seven-plus seasons at SDSU, Johnston has compiled a 168-54 career record (.757 winning percentage), leading the Jackrabbits to five 20-win seasons.

Rounding out the special awards, Utah Valley State center Robyn Fairbanks was named Division I Independent Player of the Year and Savannah State (Ga.) guard Ivy Smith received Newcomer of the Year honors.

SDSU will host either Illinois State or Rice (Texas) in WNIT action Saturday night at Frost Arena. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

2006-07 All-Division I Independent Women’s Basketball First Team
    • Lisa Bue, 5-10, Jr., G/F, North Dakota State, 14.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg
    • *Robyn Fairbanks, 6-1, So., C, Utah Valley State, 23.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg
    • $Johnna Lewis-Carlisle, 5-6, Sr., G, IPFW, 16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg
    • Ivy Smith, 5-7, Jr., G, Savannah State (Ga.), 15.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg
    • *Megan Vogel, 5-11, Sr., F, South Dakota State, 17.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg

2006-07 All-Division I Independent Women’s Basketball Second Team
    • Heather Bates, 5-11, Sr., F, UC Davis, 12.7 ppg, 5.7 rpg
    • Shalonda Carter, 6-1, Sr., F, Winston-Salem State (N.C.), 13.2 ppg, 10.1 rpg
    • $Ashley Johnson, 5-8, Sr., G, IPFW, 14.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg
    • Brenda Slyt, 6-0, Jr., F, North Dakota State, 12.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg
    • Jennifer Warkenthien, 6-0, So., F, South Dakota State, 9.9 ppg, 6.0 rpg
    * 2005-06 First-Team Selection
    $ 2005-06 Second-Team Selection

Honorable Mention: UC Davis - Anna Harp; Chicago State (Ill.) - Chandra Timberlake, Jasmin Dixon; Longwood (Va.) - Keiva Small; New Jersey Tech - Jill Dickinson; North Dakota State - Amanda Girodat; Savannah State (Ga.) - Shaunte Carter; South Dakota State - Andrea Verdegan; Texas-Pan American - MaHogany Daniel, LeKeisha Gray; Utah Valley State - Sandy Marvin, Julie McMurray, Rebekah Peterson.

2006-07 All-Division I Independent Newcomer Team
    • LeKeisha Gray, 5-4, Jr., G, Texas-Pan American, 10.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg
    • Anna Harp, 5-7, Fr., G, UC Davis, 10.0 ppg, 2.9 rpg
    • Julie McMurray, 6-0, Fr., G/F, Utah Valley State, 8.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg
    • Emily Moran, 5-7, Jr., G, North Dakota State, 8.2 ppg, 1.7 rpg
    • Ivy Smith, 5-7, Jr., G, Savannah State (Ga.), 15.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg
    • Tamara Vaughn, 5-8, Jr., G, Texas-Pan American, 9.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg

Player of the Year: Robyn Fairbanks, Utah Valley State
    Defensive Player of the Year: Courtney Grimsrud, South Dakota State
    Newcomer of the Year: Ivy Smith, Savannah State (Ga.)
    Coach of the Year: Aaron Johnston, South Dakota State
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Awards for the Jacks and AJ

That is great to see isn't it , I am really happy for the womens team.

Comment

Awesome job on all the awards! but my only question is.... HOW DID VOGEL NOT GET PLAYER OF THE YEAR????? :-?
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit
        Awesome job on all the awards! but my only question is.... HOW DID VOGEL NOT GET PLAYER OF THE YEAR????? :-?
        I think how Fairbanks did against us this year is the clear reason why she got the award and not Vogel. Unfortunately Utah Valley was a one dimensional team and we had more dimensions besides Vogel. Stats speak a lot and Fairbanks really did impress me when she was here.

Comment

Sure we're biased, but Vogel I think had a better career, and I can't help but ask the question. WHat is Fairbanks doing now?....watching the Trnys on TV?...turning in her green & yellow uni's!?
          I think Vogel would trade every individual honor to have her team win!

Comment

Fairbanks is a decent player 3rd highest scorer in all of D-1.  1139 points in just 2 years.  It would be fun to see where she is at in 2 years.

Comment

I can't understand how NDSU got so many girls recognized and barely finished above 500.

Comment

Maybe the level of the rest of the independants have something to do with it. The RPI of the MidCon women will take a huge leap with the 'SU's.

Comment

Vogel Player of the Year
                  #6 posting 4.8.2007
                  your daily dose of girls basketball news & information

COLLEGE AWARDS
                  Here is the first gbbrecruit college awards. I am going to be handing out awards for players that played HS ball in Minnesota, so if you don't see Emily Fox's name that is why. She went to school in Colorado.

Without further ado here are the teams....
                  player, college, (HS), ht, yr
                  D1
                  Megan Vogel, South Dakota State, (St. Peter), 5-11, 2007 POY. averaged 17.5 ppg for the 25-6 Jackrabbits. Last team left standing (SDSU) with major minutes by a MN player. SDSU exited in the WNIT semis. Team leader. And to top it all off #19 pick in the WNBA draft by Washington, the only MN player picked.
                  Tamra Braun, Valparaiso (Prior Lake) 6-5, 2007; averaged 9.5 ppg and 8.6 rpg for the 20-11 Crusaders.
                  Lisa Bue, North Dakota State (Austin) 5-10, 2008; averaged 14.1 ppg for the 14-11 Bison.
                  Kelly Roysland, Minnesota (Fosston) 5-9, 2007; averaged 13.2 ppg for the 17-16 Gophers despite being injured.
                  Kristin Wiener, Northern Illinois (Holy Angels) 6-3, 2007; averaged 15 ppg and 8 rpg for the 19-12 Huskies.

Here is a little history lesson:
                  Starting lineup for the MN Metro Stars 17U team in 2002:
                  Alyssa Nelson (Breck/Montana State)
                  Annika Boyd (Minnehaha Academy/Indiana)
                  Megan Vogel (St. Peter/SDSU)
                  Leslie Knight (Hopkins/Minnesota)
                  Jamie Broback (Eastview/Minnesota)
                  Off the bench:
                  Mary Lennick (Breck/Trinity)
                  Sophie Farrell (Breck/DNP in college)
                  Kelly Finley (Breck/Northwestern/Colorado State)
                  Lindsey Hugstad-Vaa (Breck/Maine)
                  Melissa Miller (Breck/Northwestern)
                  Team was coached by Andy Meinhardt and Alissa Case
                  The MN Metro Stars played and beat almost all of the top teams in the country that July. They ended up in 5th place at Nike End of the Trail out of 128 teams. They were in the Final Four at Nike US Junior Nationals (Las Vegas). They finished in 1st place at Nike USA Cup (Chicago). Both the End of the Trail and USJN losses were by 2 points.

Comment

Working...
                  X