Women picked third in Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women picked third in Summit

From bizarre-o-land: The women were picked third in the Summit League according to a release this morning. Oral Roberts and Oakland were one and two. The only SDSU player on the pre-season all-conference team is Jennifer Warkenthien on the SECOND team!

Even more strange: SDSU got the majority of first-place votes, 14 (compared to 10 for ORU and 4 for Oakland with 2 going to NDSU... so we got 14 out of 30 first place votes... and finished third overall. Hmmm...)

Those Summit coaches, SIDs, and reporters are in for a big, big surprise when AJ and the Jacks roll into their towns this winter.

Here are the full poll results:

ORU (10), 399
    Oakland (4), 382
    SDSU (14), 359
    NDSU (2), 266
    IUPUI, 250
    WIU, 219
    UMKC, 211
    IPFW, 152
    SUU, 151
    Centenary, 58
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Women picked third in Summit

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    From bizarre-o-land: The women were picked third in the Summit League according to a release this morning. Oral Roberts and Oakland were one and two. The only SDSU player on the pre-season all-conference team is Jennifer Warkenthien on the SECOND team!

Even more strange: SDSU got the majority of first-place votes, 14 (compared to 10 for ORU and 4 for Oakland with 2 going to NDSU... so we got 14 out of 30 first place votes... and finished third overall. Hmmm...)

Those Summit coaches, SIDs, and reporters are in for a big, big surprise when AJ and the Jacks roll into their towns this winter.
    Whoever voted in this poll is on some serious whacky weed. Wow. NDSU got 2 first place votes????

Here is the link: http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...ATCLID=1282518

Comment

On Summit League opponents: I think we have them right where we want them!

They all know about the SDSU Women but lets let a few think that maybe our team isn't the best in the league. We'll prove it on the court.

Comment

That rating is crap. People outside of SDSU think we're gonna go downhill because Vogel is gone. They'll realize thats BS soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          Whoever voted in this poll is on some serious whacky weed. Wow. NDSU got 2 first place votes????

Here is the link: http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...ATCLID=1282518
          I wouldn't be surprised to see SDSU and NDSU go 1-2 in the league.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I know I see the world through blue and yellow glasses, but I would be very surprised if our women's team lost a conference game this season. NDSU is likely the second best team in the league and they couldn't get within 35 points of us last season. Let them thinkg we are not that good.
            Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

For reference, 2007 end of season women's ncaa RPI rankings:

ORU 169
              Oakland 145
              SDSU 45
              NDSU 139
              IUPUI 248
              WIU 300
              UMKC 295
              IPFW 221
              SUU 302
              Centenary 333

So, apparently after one season and us losing one senior (granted, it was Megan Vogel), while retaining our entire coaching staff, we are going to get jumped by two teams that last year were AT LEAST 100 places lower on the RPI at the end of last season. What the heck????

I'll admit, Vogel was damn good. But, we have plenty of incoming talent to go around. With some good 'Vogel style' work ethic by the underclassmen, there is no way we get 3rd in the SUMMIT LEAGUE. More than likely, we end up being one of the top teams in the country not eligible for the NCAA tourney next spring once again.

That said, preseason polls are usually hogwash anyway (this being a major example). So I'll get off my soapbox.

Comment

Remember the polls picked the soccer team to finish 7th in the conference. Right now we are second in the conference with a 3-1-1 record. Some coaches are uneducated about the other programs. Takes a decent year and some ass kicking for them to open their eyes.

Comment

Some of these people voting must not know $hit about women's basketball, either that or they just couldn't bring themselves to vote the conference newcomer as #1. SDSU will easily win the conference and NDSU may finish #2.

Comment

I think a couple of voters read about Ruley leading NDSU to their titles in D-II and gave them their first-place votes without realizing how they got steamrolled by SDSU last season.....

Comment

I just had to come back to this ranking from SID's and Coaches and being picked third in this conference. I realize we lost Vogel but the SID's or someone thought she was the only player on the floor evidiently. I find it interesting that Oakland and ORU could finish 3 and 5 in the league.

I would say the team that makes it to the NCAA tournament by winning the conference tournament should thank their lucky stars they did it this year because based upon what I saw in this league it will be awhile before one of the original teams in this league goes to the big dance again.

Comment

I was just thinking about this after the UMKC game. Picked 3rd? No respect, that's all I can say. If we didn't have the injury bug earlier in the season, who knows what the record could be? There is a very good chance we don't lose a game. But, everything happens for a reason, and the injuries gave some of the incoming players a good look that they may not have gotten if we had stayed healthy. One way or the other, the best we could have done is make the WNIT, and that looks to be all but wrapped up. Hopefully we can keep this going and make a deep run in the post season. I'd love to see a sold out string of WNIT games at Frost again.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          I wouldn't be surprised to see SDSU and NDSU go 1-2 in the league.
                          Could very well end this way.

Comment

Working...
                          X