Blue's thought on the team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue's thought on the team

The team might struggle at times this year but they will get the job done when it comes down to it.
    Starters:
    Courtney will provide the defense under the basket. Blocking shots and rebounding. She will have a few games where she gets double digits in points.
    Jenn returns for her 3rd year as a starter. I don't think she has disappointed anyone with her contributions to the team. She needs to find a way to be more consistant and not have struggles in games. She can make the 3 ball and everything. I think the offense this year will use her more as she can be a dangerous weapon.
    Ketty fills the Big Hole left by Vogel. While she might not be as explosive as Megan, she can get the job done. She struggles at times with shot selection but as the year goes on she'll figure out what she needs to do.
    Andrea has her spot again this year and brings speed to the team. She is a player that doesn't always get the recognizition she deserves at times, she shows her emotions at times in the game when it is necessary and she doesn't let down much. 3 pointers and break away layups are her speciality. Look for more 3 point attempts from her.
    Allison Anderson steps into the starting role this year. I think Ashlea's struggles at times last year kind of gave Allison the starting job coming into the year. She has quickness, I believe Seiler said she is even faster than her. Not sure what role she will play but she will step it up this year.
    Bench:
    Nielsen's role is unknown at this point as she has had some injuries again this fall. She'll have to step up as she knows next year she may be thrusted into a starting role. Her potential as a Rabbit has yet to be seen, expect her to have a chance to she fans what she can do this year.
    Maria Maria had an impressive year as a freshman last year. She will be the first of the bench I think this year and will have an expanded role in the offense. She might get time in the post if necessary. She can play multiple roles in the game if needed and might play 3 positions this year.
    Stacie Oistad returns from injury this year. Well not a 100% she should contribute like she did early on last year. 3 point shots are her game but she can also get it done in the lane. A healthy Oistad makes our team that much more dangerous.
    Schuttoffel is an unknown at this point. She could be a bust or she could be a role player when necessary. I look forward to hopefully being proved wrong. Conditioning might be the main trouble for her this year, as she was set up under the basket for most of the games in high school not doing much else, that could change with AJ's system of play. She could be a rebounding machine for us this year.
    Mo Meier should be our defensive spot player, but she also could be allowed to shoot more. She is a talented player that if allowed to flourish could do so. She should get more shots in the game with Vogel absent and might have a breakout year.
    Rotert will be amazing to watch in her career here. Kind of a shame we couldn't redshirt her so Young and her could play together and get all of South Dakota basketball fans something amazing to watch. She can shoot, play defense and do a lot of things excellent. The 3 spot could be her's if Ketty struggles.
    Macie Michelson didn't look spectacular or anything last night be she has time to develop in to that player. What she does this year could be a foreshadowing of what's to come. She could be thrust into Andrea's spot come next year. And needs to perform to be guaranteed that spot.
    Muckenhirn had points last year she struggled and that might have cost her a starting spot. She can play the 1 or 2 guard if needed and might be the first guard of the bench in games. Time will tell us how good of a decision AJ made moving her to the bench, because Ashlea has some good speed and a great 3 point shot.
    Miss Jill Young has a year to develop and improve and should make an immediate impact come next year. Her talent's are limitless and she could if she allows herself to become a Jackrabbit great. I look forward to seeing what she can do.
    Coaching staff:
    Can AJ and staff do what they did last year? The weapons did not change except for Vogel graduatiing. But Vogel returns as a Grad Assistant. AJ always has high expectations of his team and this year should be no different. Travis Brewster joins Laurie Melum on the assistant coach team and will provide an interesting mix of people on the staff. Stamerjohn returns for his 2nd year as a grad assistant. This team might be able to do what was done last year. Appreciate AJ and staff because we know he is a wanted man.

Another exciting year is on tap for the Jacks.
    WEAR YELLOW OR BLUE or White with yellow and blue. Let's get over this rainbow crowd look.

DO NOT WEAR RED TO THE GAME.

Re: Blue's thought on the team

I do not see Anderson starting. Andrea will start at the 1 and Anderson is not a 2. Also if both Andrea and Anderson start, that leaves either Muck or Macie to come off the bench at the 1...not happening. Here's my 5:

1--Andrea
    2--Muck
    3--Ketty
    4--Jenn
    5--Courtney

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Maria in the starting line up at some point...
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I think you are right about Maria.I had the pleasure of watching her play 4 years of high school and she was just scratching the surface of what will be last year.Saw the Southern Cal and the WNIT games and was impressed by how much quicker she was compared to the other inside players.When she gets a little more polish on her offensive game she will be hard to keep out of the starting line-up.

Comment

This team is extremely deep. Remember we have 15 scholarship athletes. One will redshirt. We would win over half (the majority) of our games with our second 5 players. This team will be special, but we have had a special women's basketball team each of the last 6 seasons. We have a special program. How wonderful it is to look forward to another season.
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          I do not see Anderson starting. Andrea will start at the 1 and Anderson is not a 2. Also if both Andrea and Anderson start, that leaves either Muck or Macie to come off the bench at the 1...not happening. Here's my 5:

1--Andrea
          2--Muck
          3--Ketty
          4--Jenn
          5--Courtney

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Maria in the starting line up at some point...
          I agree. Allison won't start and Maria will be right there for a starting spot. Towards the end of the season, it will be interesting to see where Rotert ends up too.

Comment

But Andrea is flexible and can play the 2, meaning Allison can play the one. We saw that situation a few times last year. We'll see what happens come Oct. 31st.

Comment

I was impressed with Macie Michelson at Midnight Minus Two. She's constant motion, constantly driving, pushing and challenging the defense and passing. She's going to be a heck of a point guard, possibly even this year. If that happens, maybe Andrea goes to the 2 because she's a good shooter, along with Ashlea Muckenhirn. I would expect Jennifer W. to start again and I would be surprised if Maria Boever didn't start somewhere. I don't know where that leaves Cornemann, who also should see a lot of playing time. Grimsrud is a true center. But there's enough talent on this team to go with three forwards and outrun and outshoot the opposition. This is going to be a very good team this year and an even better team next year, when Jill Young becomes part of the mix and Rotert and Schuttloffel have more experience.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                But Andrea is flexible and can play the 2, meaning Allison can play the one. We saw that situation a few times last year. We'll see what happens come Oct. 31st.
                Good point. I can agree with that. She might be needed to step into that role with Vogel gone and score more.

Comment

I agree with alot of what has been said here.

I could see Maria moving into the line-up at the 4, with Jen sliding over to the 3. (I said Could, not Would...it's just a possibility)

But, reguardless of who is starting, you know AJ is going to rotate them, keep them fresh, and go with whoever is playing best at the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X