X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduction in Scholarship Maximum?

Terry made a mention of this tidbit yesterday's Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1078/SPORTS

The Division I women's basketball committee has recommended reducing the number of allowable scholarships from 15 to 13 and applying the difference toward other women's sports.
    This was the first I had seen of this proposal. Is this a move to "even" the playing field in women's basketball at the collegiate level so the Tennessees and UConns (and, perhaps, the SDSUs) of the world can't "hoard" as much talent? Or, is this more to this?

What are the odds of this passing?

Re: Reduction in Scholarship Maximum?

I don't see this one passing.... generally people don't like down-grading scholarships....

Comment

Personally I think lowering the scholarships would help the lower and mid level teams in recruiting against the BCS teams. Right now the BCS teams can stockpile 15 scholarship players and they are all highly recruited players. Take Minnesota as an example, they usually get the top 15 players over a 4 or 5 year period from their state. If they only could offer 12 players scholarships, then SDSU and other local mid-majors could have a chance at the three players not being offered because of the scholarship reduction to 12.

In reducing the scholarship total from 15 to 12, they would increase the scholarship totals of other women's sports to make up the 3 scholarship reduction in WBB.

The other issue that this can cause is the pulling of offers to some players that have verballed to play two or more years from now. Take the girl from Stanley Co. that verbally accepted a scholarship to Purdue. If Purdue thinks it has 4 scholarships available for that year, but the max. allowed is reduced from 15 to 12, then Purdue may only have 3 scholarships to offer. In this case if a better player came along, could they pull the offer made to Ostrello? I know that offers have been pulled before and I'm sure that some Universities would have to pull offers to make the new scholarship limitation. I understand that the reduction from 15 to 12 would not happen over night, but would be phased in. It could create opprotunities for Mid-Major teams to pick up BCS talent and improve the Mid-Major teams.

Go State!!!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

In theory it sounds great but Woman's basketball is so much different then men's basketball and the 3 extra scholarships are used in womans basketball. Woman's basketball operates on a 30sec shot clock, and is a big jump for most woman. HS girls basketball in South Dakota is like watching snails play basketball compared to college (all levels) is like rabbits playing. Also woman's injuries tend to be more career threatening (especially ACL's) So the extra 3 scholarships is used in a lot of cases. And most importantly it would hurt SDSU... SDSU is the UNC of the midwest or at least (SD, MN, WI) and I would hate SDSU to loose the 3 scholarships because AJ plays with a deep bench.

Comment

Here a case can be made for either decision.

For the last four years the Jackrabbit women never had more than 12 scholarship athletes and in all years played with less than 12. I do believe the women from SDSU play as fast or faster than any other Division I school in the country. Most teams play the boring half court game as compared to the exciting product that AJ puts on the floor. So I don't think a reduction to 12 is all that bad if the other three scholarships are transfered to other women's teams that could use more scholarships to be more competitive.

On the other hand, this is one of the reasons SDSU left Division II because smaller schools were moving to Division I from Division II and would be probably be requesting a reduction from 10 scholarships to something else.

What's the answer?

Comment

Struggling at posting - this is a test. Sorry

Comment

This question 15 or 12 might not have an exact answer.

If you look at the Jacks Women's team for the last four years they never had more than 12 on scholarship and even in years when they had more players names on the roster than 12 they never played 12 other than 2007 and when Kratovil announced her leaving SDSU she never played much after that.

Saying that, I don't believe any team in Division I plays at a faster tempo than SDSU. Most play the half court game that is slow, boring and definitely wouldn't need 15 players.

I do believe it would help SDSU get some players that the Minnesota's, Iowa's and Wisconsin's get just because they are a BCS school. That's assuming the last three players on those benches would be adding value to our program - I am not sure of that.

One of the reasons SDSU left Division II was due to the watering down of scholarships from 10 to somehting else.

I would agree with the reduced number of scholarships in basketball only if it was distributed to other women's teams.

Just a thought!

Comment

Sorry everyone I am new to this and won't do this again.

Comment

Welcome to the board, JacksFanatic

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFanatic View Post
                    I would agree with the reduced number of scholarships in basketball only if it was distributed to other women's teams.

Just a thought!
                    My understanding was exactly that, redistribution of scholarships without adding more due to title IX issues. I beleive the reduction in FB scholarships at the BCS level has left the NCAA with some juggling to do on the women's side. Maybe I'm way off though.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I believe the reduction is to 13, or did the first post have the wrong number?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        I believe the reduction is to 13, or did the first post have the wrong number?
                        You're right FirstRow, the proposal is to reduce the women's scholarships from 15 to 13.

Comment

Is there any word on where the other 2 scholies would go to?
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                            Is there any word on where the other 2 scholies would go to?
                            I think the idea is that they'd go to other women's sports.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Yeah, I was just wondering if there was any determination of which sports they would be moved to. Would it be the university's choice or would it be pre-determined by the NCAA.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X