AJ's New Asisstant Coach??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ's New Asisstant Coach??

Any insight on AJ's new assistant coach?> I wouldn't be surprised if Jina Johansen (current grad assistant) gets the job. She seems to be very well liked by the players and coaches and she has plenty of experience in the DI programs.

Re: AJ's New Asisstant Coach??

Who is leaving the Jacks?

Comment

Nobody, they need to add an assistant coach to be in compliance with the Mid-Con. Just like the men.

Comment

Originally posted by RLIV
        Nobody, they need to add an assistant coach to be in compliance with the Mid-Con.  Just like the men.
        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by JacksRule
          Any insight on AJ's new assistant coach?> I wouldn't be surprised if Jina Johansen (current grad assistant) gets the job. She seems to be very well liked by the players and coaches and she has plenty of experience in the DI programs.
          This is the person I would hope AJ would hire. She played Big 12 at UNL. I dont know what her role is as a GA and how she is doing. I am working off the game program, although I had heard of her before she became a GA at SDSU. She appears capable in my opinion.

Comment

I know this is a dumb question but other then one being a grad student and one being a regular student what is the difference between a grad assistant and a student assistant?

Comment

I don't for certain, but a graduate assistant is earning their tuition and books by helping out with the coaching. GA slots are assigned to each sport and the head coach selects whoever is available from those attending. I think too some coaches apply for the grad assistant part before they are admitted to graduate school. They want to get the coaching experience from working with a particular head coach.

A student assistant probably is spending their time at games and practice without pay. A student assistant has to love coaching or else he would have more time to go downtown and elsewhere since team practice eats up time, but the coaching staff probably has some duties for them to perform on top of the coaching part. So student assistants are busy people as was John Stieglemeire back in the late 1970's. He was a student assistant at one time.

The graduate student and graduate assistant will both be receiving advanced degrees when their academic portion is completed and in most cases a written theisis is part of the project.

Anyone else?? I dont think its a dumb question.

Comment

Student Assistants get the crap work that the GA's don't want to do. That's what they're for.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Graduate assistants must be graduate students.  They are on a graduate assistantship for up to 49% time at SDSU.  They receive a stipend of usually something over a $1000 a month if they are on a 49% and a master's degree student.  The stipend varies some by department and they are higher for PhD students, but the HPER department only offers an MS although there are some PhD students in Biological Sciences who may work with faculty in HPER.  They also receive a tuition reduction to 1/3 of the in-state rate whether they are South Dakota residents or not.  But they pay full fees.  The HPER Department would have other GA's who are athletic trainers or assist perhaps in marketing or other roles or working on externally funded research.   In other departments GA's typically teach labs or introductory courses life Engl 101 or work on funded research project or some special project.  Graduate assistant stipends at SDSU are fairly competitive with those in surrounding states when all factors are considered.

A student assistant is an undergraduate student who would normally be on an hourly basis, probably at or slightly above the minimum wage level.  They do not receive any reduction in tuition or fees.  Their responsibilities vary a great deal on campus and I am sure in the HPER department.  But whatever their role, it would involve less responsibility than graduate assistants due to the difference in education and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74
                    A student assistant is an undergraduate student who would normally be on an hourly basis, probably at or slightly above the minimum wage level.  They do not receive any reduction in tuition or fees.  Their responsibilities vary a great deal on campus and I am sure in the HPER department.  But whatever their role, it would involve less responsibility than graduate assistants due to the difference in education and experience.
                    Any student assistant coach I've ever known (including myself) worked for free. Maybe things have changed though. From the student assistant perspective, for me anyway, the experience was well worth the time and effort even though there was no monetary compensation.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

There are very probably people who work for free and the experience particularly in athletics.  Technically they are volunteers but may well do the same things as student assistants and probably carry the same "title" at least in informal conversation.  This happens in other departments as well where students may work on the professors research project for the experience and perhaps the right to be listed as a co-author of a paper if their contribution merits it.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe all GA's have to be earning their master's degree in a sports related field (Athletic Administration, HPER, etc). I don't believe you'll see any GA's getting their M.S./M.A. in Sociology. Students assistants can be sociology, education, etc. majors.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74
                          Graduate assistants must be graduate students.  They are on a graduate assistantship for up to 49% time at SDSU.  They receive a stipend of usually something over a $1000 a month if they are on a 49% and a master's degree student.  The stipend varies some by department and they are higher for PhD students, but the HPER department only offers an MS although there are some PhD students in Biological Sciences who may work with faculty in HPER.  They also receive a tuition reduction to 1/3 of the in-state rate whether they are South Dakota residents or not.  But they pay full fees.  The HPER Department would have other GA's who are athletic trainers or assist perhaps in marketing or other roles or working on externally funded research.   In other departments GA's typically teach labs or introductory courses life Engl 101 or work on funded research project or some special project.  Graduate assistant stipends at SDSU are fairly competitive with those in surrounding states when all factors are considered.

All GAs in the athletic department are 25%

Comment

Originally posted by RLIV
                            I may be wrong, but I believe all GA's have to be earning their master's degree in a sports related field (Athletic Administration, HPER, etc).  I don't believe you'll see any GA's getting their M.S./M.A. in Sociology.  Students assistants can be sociology, education, etc. majors.
                            This is correct.

Comment

thanks for the clairfication, I know out here at BHSU we have essentually 1 full time student assistant that travels with the team and sits on the bench then we have numerous people who volunteer and help out with practices and they each got to sit on the bench 1 time this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X