Clear All

• WNIT profits

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...34/1002/SPORTS

SDSU's WNIT profit: $17,000
    Take from tourney less than one regular-season game

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: April 24, 2007

Perhaps the payout will come in the form of increased ticket sales for the 2007-08 season, because South Dakota State University didn't get rich off its first NCAA Division I postseason run.

According to associate athletic director Rob Peterson, the school made a profit of roughly $17,000 from ticket sales for two sold-out WNIT games at Frost Arena after covering expenses and paying out the bids and profit shares promised to tournament organizer Triple Crown Sports.

That's roughly $3,000 less than the take from a typical regular-season home game - even though ticket prices were higher for the postseason. And it's just a drop in the bucket of SDSU's overall athletic budget, reported as $7.5 million in 2005-06.

"If we make $1 or we make $100,000 it makes no difference," Peterson said. "It was the opportunity for our fans to see the game, our girls to play at home."

The Jackrabbits went 2-0 in those home games, playing in front of crowds of 5,719 and 6,053, breaking the school record for a women's-only attendance twice in one week and pushing the season average to a school record 2,753 - just outside the top 40 in Division I. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: WNIT profits

It will be impossible to measure the intangible benefit from the WNIT run.  The entire region was talking about it.  I think one would have to spend six figures to put together an advertising campaign that comes close to what the WNIT did for SDSU.  And, I think Terry's opening line will turn out to be true: increased future tickets sales.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
      It will be impossible to measure the intangible benefit from the WNIT run.  The entire region was talking about it.  I think one would have to spend six figures to put together an advertising campaign that comes close to what the WNIT did for SDSU.  And, I think Terry's opening line will turn out to be true: increased future tickets sales.

Go Jacks!
      Excellent points, I guess I was thinking it might have actually cost us money to host the games so I consider this positive news. Now, I am a bit biased I will admit.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I also see this as a positive.  One almost has to thank Triple Crown Sports for putting on a tournament like this.  If it wasn't for the WNIT, we wouldn't have much to play for at the end of season right now.  I say thumbs up to them for allowing teams like us to compete at a very high level during the post-season.  Yeah, people will argue that the WNIT is the red-headed step child of post-season college basketball but I'm one person who is very much looking forward to next year's chance to play in the WNIT.  

Comment

Does this include any concessions or is it just ticket sales? I think that would make a huge difference in the revenue and profit of the event. Having a 6,000 average for two games, the concession take should have been at least $20,000. JMHO

Comment

I agree with the comments stating the "free advertising" this gave our beloved Jacks. We might not have made a lot of actual cash, but getting the media coverage - both print, radio and television - was great for State.

Comment

This was great news, and what did we ever garner hosting a NCAA Region D2 tourney? I don't recall ever having a profit as it was the NCAA function and they took all the gate receipts, in order to pay for the the other seven teams travel expenses. With this private company running the tourney, we got some of the revenue above and beyond the guarentee. In fact some of the D1 big dance money goes to underwrite deficits for D2 and D3 playoff games. Some dont make their guarentee and am not sure how they work, but I dont recall any D2 member getting $17,000 for hosting a playoff event.

The impact on the future comments are very correct. Can't disagree with anyone on those remarks.

Comment

Working...
              X