GDT: NDSU vs SDSU 2pm Farewell Frost/Senior Day/Blue Out SLN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
    i am pretty sure Paige has missed 8 FTs now in the last 2 and a half games inclucing the first half today

need her to be a deadeye from the line

Brooklyn having a worst case scenario from the line today. bisonette 3s and missed FTs are making this a game
    I wish Brooklyn could shoot her FT's a little softer, some could fall in, she's such a powerful girl (woman) , maybe she doesn't want to change her shooting style, I get it, but maybe a little softer delivery will help some to roll in, they all seem pretty close.

Comment

I would project the awards to look something like this:

POY: Brooklyn Meyer SDSU
      DPOY: Brooklyn Meyer SDSU
      6th POY: Jalei Oglesby ORU
      Newcomer of the year: Taleyah Jones ORU
      COY: Aaron Johnston SDSU

1st Team:
      Brooklyn Meyer SDSU
      Paige Meyer SDSU
      Kacie Borowitz UND
      Grace Larkins USD
      Heaven Hamling NDSU
      Elle Evans NDSU

2nd Team:
      Madison Mathiowetz SDSU
      Taleyah Jones ORU
      Hannah Cooper ORU
      JoJo Jones- Denver
      Grace Cave- Omaha

The first team seems like a no brainer list. The 2nd team also seems pretty clear and it would be tough to make a case for anyone else. I have loved what Tori and Mesa have done for us but it hasn’t risen to the point of all conference IMO. They would both be Honorable Mention for sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
        I would project the awards to look something like this:

POY: Brooklyn Meyer SDSU
        DPOY: Brooklyn Meyer SDSU
        6th POY: Jalei Oglesby ORU
        Newcomer of the year: Taleyah Jones ORU
        COY: Aaron Johnston SDSU

1st Team:
        Brooklyn Meyer SDSU
        Paige Meyer SDSU
        Kacie Borowitz UND
        Grace Larkins USD
        Heaven Hamling NDSU
        Elle Evans NDSU

2nd Team:
        Madison Mathiowetz SDSU
        Taleyah Jones ORU
        Hannah Cooper ORU
        JoJo Jones- Denver
        Grace Cave- Omaha

The first team seems like a no brainer list. The 2nd team also seems pretty clear and it would be tough to make a case for anyone else. I have loved what Tori and Mesa have done for us but it hasn’t risen to the point of all conference IMO. They would both be Honorable Mention for sure though.
        i was thinking league awards would be announced today, but the more i think about it, it will probably be tomorrow. one way or the other it will be soon. I dont think anyone could say there is a single thing wrong on your list!!

a couple thoughts
        Brooklyn won player of the week 4 times
        Paige 3
        nobody else won more than 2 and 2 players did that. one of them is Ruthie Udomoh who happens to not be on your list. again, nobody, including me, could say your list is wrong, but i definitely think there is a chance that Udomoh is on one of the teams. then someone would have to come off of your list. who??

i think Meyer and Meyer are far and away the biggest no brainers. I would have Larkins next. after watching the last couple NDSU games, I still think Evans has more natural gifts than Larkins and i would still pick her first to add to my team (I would make her play a bit differently than Jory does). that said, Larkins is the better all around player today.

those 3 are sure first teamers
        the other 3 come from the group of Borowicz, Hamling, Evans, Cooper, Jones, and Udomoh. I believe that I can make a case for any of the other 3 Jacks starters to be in this group also, but there will NOT be 3 Jacks on the first team

I think it would be fair to punish Borowicz for where her team finished (even if that is very much not her fault) and put her on second team instead of first, but I do not believe that will happen. I am gonna guess Borowicz, one bison, and one golden eagle fill out the first team. if i was voting, i would put both Evans and Hamling on first team above Borowicz, but i just dont see it happening

POY and DPOY- Brooklyn
        6th POY- Mesa started only 10 of 29 games. even with that she still averaged less minutes per game than Oglesby by 3 minutes

Oglesby is deserving and i believe she will get the award. I believe Mesa deserves it more

Newcomer- Jones
        there is also a newcomer team and a Freshman of the year I believe

I will go with NDSU Krzewinski for Freshman of the year, but i am sure i am unaware of who the best freshman are for each team, so i wont be surprised if i am wrong, but I believe she has been starting for them for most of the year and has solid stats

COY - AJ unless a bunch of voters simply revolt about giving it to him again

Comment

LGR stated
          "Newcomer- Jones

I will go with NDSU Krzewinski for Freshman of the year, but i am sure i am unaware of who the best freshman are for each team, so i wont be surprised if i am wrong, but I believe she has been starting for them for most of the year and has solid stats"

The Reaching the Summit guys indicated there was not a Freshman of the Year ballot this year for the men.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            LGR stated
            "Newcomer- Jones

I will go with NDSU Krzewinski for Freshman of the year, but i am sure i am unaware of who the best freshman are for each team, so i wont be surprised if i am wrong, but I believe she has been starting for them for most of the year and has solid stats"

The Reaching the Summit guys indicated there was not a Freshman of the Year ballot this year for the men.
            It bothers me that the All-Newcomer team ends up being a bunch of 5th and 6th year transfers, especially on the men's side. To me, that should be for freshmen and maybe players who transfer after their freshmen or sophomore years. 24 year olds playing for their 3rd or 4th program don't meet the requirements in my eyes.

Comment

Agree completely on what the makeup of the Newcomer team should be. For those that aren't able to follow some of the other teams that closely it should give us the idea of players to watch for the next season, not ones that are graduating. The late transfers need a "Latecomer" team...

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                Agree completely on what the makeup of the Newcomer team should be. For those that aren't able to follow some of the other teams that closely it should give us the idea of players to watch for the next season, not ones that are graduating.
                Ahh the good old days….

These days you’d call a set of award winning freshmen the Most Likely To Transfer Team. A one-stop shopping list for schools with a little extra NIL money!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

Ahh the good old days….

These days you’d call a set of award winning freshmen the Most Likely To Transfer Team. A one-stop shopping list for schools with a little extra NIL money!
                  I was watching a game last night and the jackass commentator was like how nice is it that these schools don't have to take a chance on high school kids? They can just go get so and so from Small University A. It's such a kick in the nuts for the schools who take a kid who the big schools didn't want and develop them into an all-conference type player. There is real time and money invested into that development.

I'd like to see some sort of reimbursement system put into place if the wild west of the transfer portal continues. You steal our guy you pay us $100,000 or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I was watching a game last night and the jackass commentator was like how nice is it that these schools don't have to take a chance on high school kids? They can just go get so and so from Small University A. It's such a kick in the nuts for the schools who take a kid who the big schools didn't want and develop them into an all-conference type player. There is real time and money invested into that development.

I'd like to see some sort of reimbursement system put into place if the wild west of the transfer portal continues. You steal our guy you pay us $100,000 or whatever.
                    The only way to fix it that I can think of off the top of my head is essentially multi-year service contracts for college athletes, very similar to what pro athletes sign with the various sports leagues/franchises. So colleges could buy the contracts for players from one another, players could demand buyouts, "play me or trade me," etc., etc.

Doesn't that sound like more fun than a bag full of rattlesnakes?

Did you see that Dartmouth's basketball team voted to unionize?

I think we're headed for fully professional "college sports" teams.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i was thinking league awards would be announced today, but the more i think about it, it will probably be tomorrow. one way or the other it will be soon. I dont think anyone could say there is a single thing wrong on your list!!

a couple thoughts
                      Brooklyn won player of the week 4 times
                      Paige 3
                      nobody else won more than 2 and 2 players did that. one of them is Ruthie Udomoh who happens to not be on your list. again, nobody, including me, could say your list is wrong, but i definitely think there is a chance that Udomoh is on one of the teams. then someone would have to come off of your list. who??

i think Meyer and Meyer are far and away the biggest no brainers. I would have Larkins next. after watching the last couple NDSU games, I still think Evans has more natural gifts than Larkins and i would still pick her first to add to my team (I would make her play a bit differently than Jory does). that said, Larkins is the better all around player today.

those 3 are sure first teamers
                      the other 3 come from the group of Borowicz, Hamling, Evans, Cooper, Jones, and Udomoh. I believe that I can make a case for any of the other 3 Jacks starters to be in this group also, but there will NOT be 3 Jacks on the first team

I think it would be fair to punish Borowicz for where her team finished (even if that is very much not her fault) and put her on second team instead of first, but I do not believe that will happen. I am gonna guess Borowicz, one bison, and one golden eagle fill out the first team. if i was voting, i would put both Evans and Hamling on first team above Borowicz, but i just dont see it happening

POY and DPOY- Brooklyn
                      6th POY- Mesa started only 10 of 29 games. even with that she still averaged less minutes per game than Oglesby by 3 minutes

Oglesby is deserving and i believe she will get the award. I believe Mesa deserves it more

Newcomer- Jones

I will go with NDSU Krzewinski for Freshman of the year, but i am sure i am unaware of who the best freshman are for each team, so i wont be surprised if i am wrong, but I believe she has been starting for them for most of the year and has solid stats

COY - AJ unless a bunch of voters simply revolt about giving it to him again
                      Udoumoh is likely the best player left off my list. Yes she won 2 POW awards but overall her stats fall short of some of the other players and why she ultimately didn't make my list. I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they included her over Cave or Jones although I think that would be wrong. Jones or Cooper is likely the next player up to be on the 1st team but I can't justify moving them ahead of any of the players I have listed on the 1st team. And would you include Udoumoh over Jones or Cooper?

Clearly I don't get a vote on the awards so this is just my best guess as to what I think the ultimate votes would be. Would I take Cave or Jones over Byom if I was making a team? Not a chance. So this isn't my personal list of the best players but simply what I think the final awards will look like. If they vote MM onto the first team instead of someone else I will be extremely happy to be wrong.

As for the Newcomer/Freshman of the year this award depends on the season. The FOY is a relatively new concept which appears to have started in 2015 or so. Prior to that there was simply a NOY or Transfer of the Year. I felt this year there really wasn't a clear Freshman who stood out. If I had to guess:

All Newcomer team:
                      Telayah Jones- ORU (TOY)
                      Jalei Oglesby- ORU
                      Emily Robinson- ORU (Frosh)
                      Kendall Holmes- USD
                      Alayna Contreras- KC

If I had to give a FOY it would be Robinson. Krzewinski would be right in that same range and I wouldn't be surprised if she got it. I mean how many ORU people should be rewarded in an offense first, defense optional/discouraged type system? Do you reward the player who averaged 4 ppg less but played on the 2nd versus 3rd best team? Idk, this one seems up in the air to me. But ultimately I wouldn't be shocked if Simon, Koenen, or Hopp didn't end up being better players than either of those two.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

The only way to fix it that I can think of off the top of my head is essentially multi-year service contracts for college athletes, very similar to what pro athletes sign with the various sports leagues/franchises. So colleges could buy the contracts for players from one another, players could demand buyouts, "play me or trade me," etc., etc.

We probably need multi year contracts then. If something isn’t done the divide between haves and have nots will get really big. Can you imagine what the Summit would be like with Asmus, Schierman, Nelson, etc in the league?

I did see they unionized. Nothing good can come from that for college fans.

All of this is driven by greed of the administrations.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

They completely lost me by allowing players an unlimited number of transfers without having to sit. When we played KC, their announcers said that the lefty PG they brought in this year was playing his fifth season and had played at 5 different schools. That's just not right.

Comment

Working...
                          X